“4 hours' sleep but 50% refund....”

Le Pavillon Saint Martin
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Souillac
Sussex
“4 hours' sleep but 50% refund....”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Was really looking forward to staying here overnight after a very early 5 a.m. start from Uk and long drive with 3 children in the back of the car. I had booked our room 8 months earlier and had emailed the week before to reconfirm our expected arrival time. When we did arrive, we were shown to our room and the lady opened the window and pointed to what looked like a lovely open area in front of the church outside our window and explained in French that there was going to be a lovely festival that evening. I thought this sounded nice although felt mildly concerned about what time it might end. However, as it was a Thrusday and v much the centre of town, I expected it would be over by midnight or so. How wrong I was............... half two in the morning and the incredibly loud, thumping music (v average covers of current hits).... even providing ear plugs to the kids didn't prevent two of them crying through lack of sleep................. it all stopped at half two in the morning (it was RIGHT outside our room - huge stage, flashung lights, huge amplifiers) but then there was a further hour of noise as the stage and portable loos etc were all dismantled.

I totally accept that this did not take place through the owner's fault! However, I am v concerned that, even though I emailed just one week before to re-confirm our booking and I poiinted out that we would have had a 12 hour drive and would therefore be pretty tired, no one bothered to notify me. I could, with a week's notice, have found a place out of town which, although lacking any character, would at least have enable us to get a decent night's sleep and be safe to continue driving. Also, as a result of this fiesta, the parking was completely closed and we weren't notified of this either - therefore had a slightly stressful drive around the edges of the town to find somewhere safe to leave a car v much loaded up with bags.

The owner, the next morning, when I said I wasn't happy ( I have never asked for a refund from a hotel before!), agreed to me paying just half the cost of the room which I do appreciate. As I say, I totally accept that it wasn't their fault but I do believe they had plenty of opportunity to let me know by either mobile or email beforehand and that that would have been a fair thing for them to have done in the circumstances. I would not have chosen this hotel for an overnight stop on a very long road trip if I had known about the concert.

It was a very beautiful looking hotel, in a very central town location with lots of atmosphere and character which, ordinarily, I would think was fantastic. Just a real shame to start day two of our holliday even more tired than at the end of day one!

Room Tip: Check whether there are any festivals taking palce right outside your window!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank tedhat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Extremely helpful and very nice staff. Absolutely central hotel. We arrived in the middle of a fete and were worried that we would be kept awake but the double glazing was excellent. However, the hotel was very difficult to get to. There were cars parked blocking the road to the hotel. However, the hotel staff sorted everything out. Good red bathroom with separate brightly coloured toilet. Sufficient electrical outlets. Wifi worked with some, but not all computers. Comfortable bed. Very colourful breakfast room..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alpujarra2
Oxford
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Le Pavillion Saint Martin is in a lovely, ancient building in the centre of Souillac. We have been warmly welcomed by the friendly couple who run the hotel, each time we have stayed and have experienced rooms both facing on to the square where a market is held each Friday, and onto the Abbey.
The only possible downside to the central location of his lovely little hotel is that when the market is setting up or when there is an event on in the Abbey precincts, it can be noisy. We experienced a concert that went on until 2am, which was slightly tiresome, though hardly the fault of the hotel. However, this is more than made up for when you step out into the bustle of a lively little French town on a market day, or sit enjoying a coffee in one of the many cafes within a stones throw of the hotel.
The rooms are not huge, but are attractive and very comfortable, the showers are excellent and the price is reasonable. Free wifi is a nice plus. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Arromanches-les-Bains, France
Reviewed August 4, 2012

While its a little hard to find being on a small village square, we quickly loved being in this handy spot. The square has a few cafes which are great value and waking up to the market outside your window on Friday morning is an oh so French experience.

The owners of this small hotel have created a stylish and comfortable place to stay a few days. They graciously coped with my woeful French, and were incredibly helpful with information and lovely to chat to. Our room was at the front overlooking the square, and while there was a bit of noise with the window open, its all quiet by bedtime.

There's a lift to the rooms for those with luggage like ours, the rooms are just big enough and beautifully decorated and our bathroom was modern, clean and everything worked fine. We slept like logs and really enjoyed staying here.

Breakfast downstairs is terrific - coffee is brought to you, there's a great selection of cereals, pastries and yoghurt etc - but the real standout for us each morning was the "Strawberries Dordogne" made onsite. Deee-licious. We couldn't resist pinching a meringue from the glass jar on our way out either!

While Souillac isn't a huge town, and the tractor driven mini-train ride is a bit of a hoot to see all there is (leaves from across the road from the Tourism Office), the hotel has a fantastic range of tourist brochures for everything around and we had a ball going to the Sarlat markets, Padirac Gouffre (caves and underground river tour), and Rochmenier troglodyte village. There was much more in the region we could have done, but with only two nights there and not-great weather, we didn't get to all that we wanted to.

For amenties, there is a small coin laundry a few hundred metres from the hotel which was handy and the hotel has a small private carpark if you're unlucky finding one on the street.

All up, Souillac is a good alternative to the busier Sarlat, and a great base to see the dozens of attractions in the area. The Pavillon Saint-Martin is a great choice for comfort, style and value.

Room Tip: All but very light sleepers will love waking up to the village square outside at the front of the ho...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melban
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a fabulous hotel with more charm that you could imagine possible. The owner is very helpful and friendly. The rooms was delightful with quirky tasteful decor and very comfy beds. It is a very peaceful and quiet location (don't worry about the square outside) and it is convent to everything, We stayed two nights but would happily have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

The room we had was small but reasonably clean. Clearly the room meeds some renovating.The view of the square was nice, Eat at "The Belfry" directly opposite. Great chicken!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank paulrampling
Los Gatos
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Le Pavillon Saint-Martin Hotel and the owners provide a lovely place to stay. Breakfast till noon, also no pressure to give notice in advance which most places insist. We chose not to have breakfast, though the room was very charming. Souillac is not the beautiful medieval town that Sarlat is, but in my opinion it has a character of its own. It is a smaller town with less traffic. Accommodations & restaurants are more than reasonable and like Sarlat was a perfect location to see so many sites in a day.
Our one displeasure with the Hotel is when I asked for restaurant suggestions that they did not mention Le Redouillon which is one of the best we have dined at. We highly recommend the Hotel and the owners.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Souillac
La Vieille Auberge
#4 of 9 in Souillac
Hotel Le Quercy
Hotel Le Quercy
#7 of 9 in Souillac

Been to Le Pavillon Saint Martin? Share your experiences!