“Pleasant hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Perros-Guirec
manchester
“Pleasant hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Enjoyed our stay here. Dinner very nice staff agreeable . Other guests made some pointed remarks about the English not realising we spoke French which slightly marred the evening but not the hotels fault

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Manoir de Sphinx (what a strange name for a hotel in France) is situated on a cliff very close to the Atlantic. The view you have from the restaurant, the gardens and even your room on sea and coast (Cote de Granit Rose) is tremendous. I think that this view makes the hotels in the area quite outstanding from many others.

The hotel room itself (apart from the magnificent view) is nothing special. The looks are a little old fashioned but still okay, the size of our room was reasonable and the cleanliness perfect, chapeau. What I really hated was the bed. I suppose they took one of the rocks from the coast and made it look “bed-like”. Honestly, the bed is awfully hard. People that have problems with their back, as I do, will not enjoy their sleep much.

Interestingly, the hotel offered the stay only with dinner (demi-pension). So we had a three-dish menu with an additional “cheese intermezzo” before the desert included in the room bill. The dinner of evening one was damn good. I am hard to impress but that day I was impressed. All dishes were well cooked, tasted excellent and looked fantastic. So I was looking forward so much to the next evening. But at the next day dinner was awful. The food was all boring and tasteless. For instance the main dish, called “Effeuillee au Cabillaud”, looked and tasted almost as a baby meal. The Effeuillee here is some kind of chunky mash made from fish and carrots. I almost started to cry as I saw what they did to the nice fish. Some words about the dinner service… I felt that the service was a little bit posh but sluggish. Friendliness? Yes…, but there was not much heartiness and interest. I was asked after each dish if I liked it. As I am a honest person I said “no” three times. But there was no reaction or excuse.
Some final words about food, the breakfast: As we arrived we were told that they do not have a breakfast table for us for the next day. But we can get the breakfast on our room. Strange - the Atlantic most probably flushed away our table or so... So on day one we got bread, butter, jelly, coffee, yoghurt on our room. On day two we were finally allowed to have breakfast in the breakfast room, which was almost empty. So what was the problem yesterday? Surprisingly, we found cheese, fruit, orange juice and saucisson in the breakfast room… Things that are actually nice to have for breakfast for the non-French…

Well, the big pro of the hotel is the view on sea and coast. But that’s it. Apart from the view there is no real reason why I’d say you have to got to the Manoir. There are lots of other nice looking hotels and dozens of restaurants in the town of Perros-Guirrec. I am sure you can find an alternative both for your stay and dinner. (Btw.: 2 nights semi-pension for two people and 2 bottles of wine will set you back by nearly 500 EUR. That’s a lot.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drscheme
Potsdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

This historic stone house on the cliffs with a breathtaking view might have seen better days before it was extended to house 20 rooms with a rather standard hotel room design. The rooms are very comfortable and have a wonderful view of the ocean - we slept with open windows to the sound of the waves. But the hotel has lost the charme that it must have had in the olden days when it opened and that you expect from the outside appearance. Nevertheless, the location in town is good, you can walk to the restaurants in old town Perros Guirec and to the beach. For us it was OK, but we probably are a bit spoiled by sopme more authentic historic hotels and were a bit disappointed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sven S
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was stage 3 of our walking holiday along the granite close and the hotel was at the end of the longest of our walks along the GR34 coastal path. In a fantastic position perched on the cliff, the views from our room and the public areas of the hotel were superb. Our bathroom was as big as our room and awas well equipped but without curtains - but who needs curtains when there is only sea and sea outside.
The speciality of this friendly venu is fish and it is presented and cooked expertly. Shellfish staters, lobster mains - heaven! Breakfast was a little spartan for hungry walkers but was generally ok - yoghurts, bread and crousant with juice and strong coffee. Prices in the bar are very high but there is a charming bar just down the road by the beach, or within 10 mins walk the town up the road is charming (not the port area).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BladderedBath
Hampstead, London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

This was a nostalgic visit. I had stayed in this hotel with mother, father and brother, for our summer holiday in 1955. It was a very happy holiday and I'd long intended to revisit this hotel, not least because the Patron back in 1955 was also the Chef, and created food that seemed magical in the years so close to WW2. He caused me to become a foodie! It was merely Hotel Le Sphinx in those days, no "Manoir", and appeared in the Guide Michelin as "restaurant avec chambres". By shere coincidence I found myself on this visit in the same bedroom I'd shared with my brother on that earlier trip, with a fabulous view out to sea and down to the Plage Trestignel to the east. The hotel is now more sumptiously appointed than fifty-five years ago and a wing has been added to it's west side. The dining room has also been extended giving yet another glorious view to the sea some hundred feet below. However, the food was a disappointment. I accepted the table d'hote offered to guests on demi-pension, for the three days I stayed, and while the chef has an excellent eye for presentation, he seems to have no understanding of spicing or herbing. The food did nothing to excite the taste buds. My room was light and airy with the most comfortable bed I've slept in for years, but the there was no shower curtain making it impossible to shower without soaking the floor. Housekeeping was a little sloppy (the bathroom floor wasn't wiped over, particularly noticeable around the loo) and despite my turning off the radiators, housekeeping insisted on turning them back on again every day! The staff at reception and in the dinig room were excellent, friendly and efficient and couldn't be faulted.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Petermair
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

Very nice hotel with sea view from all bedrooms. Very nice people in there.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank iloveperros
hopewell, new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

The location is breathtaking from the rooms. The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating. The restaurant was elegant with stunning views of the water but the choices of dinner were limiting if one had dinner included in the room rate. Suggest paying only for room (off season was very reasonable) and eat around as desired. Perros-Guirec is quiet off season and a great Fall destination.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple