“Dewey Markham, Premier Grand Cru Classé!”
Review of DMjWineworks

DMjWineworks
Ranked #1 of 3 Food & Drink in Merignac
More attraction details
Owner description: DMjWineworks is Dewey Markham, Jr., an award-winning writer and teacher living in Bordeaux since 1993. Dewey's unique relationship with the winemakers and his local expertise comes with just enough of the outsider's eye to understand Bordeaux from your perspective. He'll help you find the Bordeaux you've traveled here to see.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Dewey Markham Jr. is Bordeaux wine personified.

My wife and I, joined by another couple, just completed a three day, eight chateau tour under Dewey’s wing. My fear was that a program like that might prove to be too intensive or too monotonous, especially for wine “amateurs” such as ourselves – but Dewey made sure to select chateaux which presented us with a wide variety of experiences and a minimum of repetition. We saw all sorts of wine making techniques and equipment (vats of rectangular concrete to cylindrical wood to funnel shaped stainless steel), viticulture philosophy (off to the future with laser-driven grape sorters, or back to the past, with tasks accomplished via hand, horses, and gravity), architecture (centuries old castles, underground catacombs, to modern processing plants), geologies/terroirs (from gravel to clay to limestone), and finally the wines themselves – ranging from the mature 2000 “vintage of the century” to still gestating 2012s pulled directly from the barrel.

Through it all, Dewey exhaustively (and sometimes exhaustingly!) filled in all background and answered all questions. It is clear that he is THE reigning Bordeaux wine expert, a credential which gets him a lot of respect from those involved in the industry. This respect translated to a personalized access that he – and by extension, we – got at the chateaux that we visited, something I think not normally available to the typical wine tourist. During our tour many of the chateau owners made it a point to make themselves available to us, and in one case we even got the tour directly from the winemaker herself, a real treat!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"region"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our trip to Bordeaux would not have been the same without Dewey. We spent two days touring St. Emilion and Medoc, learning about the history, the terroir, the classifications, and everything in between! Dewey is incredibly knowledgeable, personable, and he makes wine fun, practical, and approachable.

We've been to many wine regions around the world and taken a number of tours. We have never encountered a guide, dare I say, a professor as great as Dewey. This is the only way to see Bordeaux, I cannot say that enough!

Thank you Dewey for making our trip unforgettable. - Jim and Nan

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our trip to Bordeaux. We spent two days touring with Dewey Markham and there are not enough good things I can say. The entire experience was amazing. From the moment you meet Mr Markham, he seems like an old friend. He makes wine and wineries seem so very easy and approachable. He can also answer any question you may about the entire process. Above and beyond, he helped us order in restuarants, helped us return the rental car, helped us purchase gas for the car, and helped us find our train.

My wife and I have done wine tours in Mendoza, Argentina; Rioja and Ribera del Duero, Spain; and Napa, California. This was by far the best experience we have had. If anyone has any questions message me. If you would like to talk in person we can do that, too. If you have the chance to book Dewey, don't miss out!

1  Thank Mnobles
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I had a 2 day tour with Dewey in St. Emilion france on Oct 16 an 17, 2012. His rating is beyond "excellent". Dewey is THE master when it comes to teaching about wine making, history of wine making, , tasting and selecting the wine in this region. I cannot believe the amount of information we have learned from him on this 2 day tour (he also provided us with written information in a form of little book that he himself put together). It was absolutely and without any doubt a high quality tour. He took us to 6 different wineries in 2 days, showed us how the grapes were selected, how they were sorted, and showed us the entire process of wine making. The tour was extremely informative and highly interesting and it was so exciting to see all the work that goes into wine making. Of course at the end of each tour we tasted wonderful wine from each chateau. We highly recommend his tours and I cannot wait to go back to Bordeaux and learn about the wine in Medoc region.

2  Thank kel r
See more reviews
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I haven't had the pleasure of one of Dewey's tours but wanted to relay my experience with him. Our famiy recently visited Bordeaux and I had arranged privately a couple of tours with Chateaux in the Medoc.

In further researching and investigating, I came across Dewey as an "expert" in all things Bordeaux. I sent him a message and asked him about a few additions and other related information and he was kind enough to provide some excellent suggestions and advice that was greatfully received.

So next time I'm in or near Bordeaux and don't have two teenagers with me, I will be more than happy to utilise Dewey as a guide. Many thanks!