“An asset to Portesham”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Portesham B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We ate here three times in a week, once for sunday lunch. Excellent food, varied menu, family and dog friendly. Staff professional with great customer care attitude. Large and small portions available. Can thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thedoggroomerUk

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here whilst on a walking trip along the Dorset Coast path with a friend.
The rooms are on the side of the Pub and are ok but not brilliant and could do with a little bit of attention. The staff however were very friendly and helpful and the food at the Pub was amazing - we both had the pork and venison pie which was superb. Not sure I would stay here again but would certainly visit the restaurant
( There is a nice walk up to Hardy's Monument from the Pub and a chance to see the infamous Hel Stone. The Public Transport from Portesham is not great and on the morning we left we eventually had to take a Taxi to Weymouth to get back on route )

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2013

A very nice pub with friendly staff who made you feel special from the start. The room was clean, well appointed and had plenty of room the beds are comfortable even for me and I am 6'4''. The double glazing meant that at night there were no disturbing noises. The food was good and well cooked. Overall a very pleasant three nights and we will certainly use the Kings Arms again if we are in the area.
The only down side is if you want to use a Taxi it is very expensive as they have to come from Weymouth or Dorchester before starting your journey.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

After many hours of sweat and tears trawling through reviews here on Trip Advisor before booking accommodation in Dorset, I am so pleased that I chose the Kings Arms.

From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel very welcome. The room was lovely and clean and is a good-sized one (the 4 bed family room). The double bed is on one side of the room, the 2 single beds on the other. The door to the room opens out onto a garden patio with a lovely aspect of the garden. The shower room is small but perfectly adequate for what we wanted. There are Tea/Coffee making facilities with a small kettle and complimentary packets of biscuits were supplied. The beds are extremely comfortable and we all slept really well.

There were 3 of us staying - myself, my husband and our 15 year old daughter - and we felt that we all had plenty of space.

The pub itself has apparently undergone major refurbishment since the new owners took over in November and is very smart. The staff couldn't do enough for us and really made us feel at home. Breakfast was superb - a choice of cereals, toast, full English breakfast and tea/coffee/juice etc. Whatever we wanted seemed to be no trouble at all. The owners are very friendly and went out of their way to come and talk to us each day which was very much appreciated.

We had a meal in the pub on our last night and both the food and the service were superb.

Portesham itself is a pretty little village and I spent a happy hour wandering around taking photographs. Just one note of warning for anybody addicted to their mobile phone - the signal is very, very weak in the village. I couldn't get a signal at all on O2 - not that it worried us. This, of course, is beyond the owners control and is nothing they should be penalised for. The Internet signal was very weak in the room but much quicker in the pub itself (or just outside) so we tended to check our messages whilst having a drink. Inside the pub is a large leather sofa and two matching armchairs so you can relax and make yourself at home.

Weymouth is approximately 8 miles away and West Bay (which we fell in love with) was about 12 miles away so the village is very accessible for the local amenities. Hardy's Monument is only 2 miles up the road and I recommend a trip to see that too.

I would have no hesitation whatsoever in booking up again here and hope to do so in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We chose this pub as it was dog friendly and when we got there we had to double check as it looked too posh to accept dogs! However, it does accept dogs inside. The menu is a bit limited, but the food is very good and reasonably priced. One drawback is that there is nothing for the kids to do, no play park to keep them occupied while waiting for the food.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

From the road this placed looked lovely and just the kind of thing that we were looking for. Once inside we were very pleased with our choice and hopeful of a decent meal in a lovely place. As it was such a nice day we sat outside as a table of 7.
The first sign of a set back was that we were told that food orders would not be taken for around 20 minutes because the kitchen was too busy. As we had already ordered drinks by that point we decided to accept the wait.
The second problem was that around 15 minutes after successfully placing our order a waitress came to our garden table to tell us that the kitchen had run out of one of our choices. I asked if she could recommend an alternative but she abruptly insisted that I MUST go back to the counter inside to pay any difference in price. I really think this should have been handled at our table rather that asking me to traipse inside for the umpteenth time.
My third criticism is that most of our table were served around 20 minutes after ordering but my selected alternative dish did not arrive for another 15 minutes. It is clear that they put my order to the back of the queue. I was forced to sit and watch everyone eat and then eat alone!!
All in all a disaster and, while we found the portions adequate, after all that waiting the quality did not match up to our expectations. I would avoid if at all possible.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael12G
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We dropped in for an evening meal and were seated by a lovely waiter, who was very attentive and polite. We ordered the salad of the day (Tuna), Belly pork and Fish of the day. Oh dear, despite asking if the tuna was fresh and being told 'yes' what arrived was tuna mayonnaise better suited to a sandwich. My belly pork was undercooked and the fat part was inedible. The fish curry was ok but the king prawns were still in their shells in the sauce and the cod and haddock pieces still has their skin on... The uneaten pork fat was noticed and the waiter did ask if it was ' a bit too fatty?' to his credit he removed it from the bill and the menu for the time being. Around us other tables were complaining about cold pizza, undersize pies and late food.. My husband thought he heard a waitress telling someone the chef was off sick I hope this was so as if not they need to get a new one. If your chef is sick admit it and offer what you can cook..don't attempt to bodge it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portesham
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Abbotsbury
Portesham Dairy Farm Campsite
East Shilvinghampton Farm Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!