“Enjoyable evening”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Portesham B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We popped in here on way back from trip for a drink & liked it so much we decided to book a table for the evening.
We were made to feel very welcome & the service was excellent. We started with the fish sharing platter of lovely local fish selection followed by lamb & veg pie of the day (him) & liver & bacon (me), then he had lemon cheesecake & I had berry pavlova all of which were delicious. I especially liked the option of small or regular portions on some of the dishes as I do like to have a desert!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janc6350

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stopped in here on Sunday after a hot day down a Bowleaze Cove, garden was lovely & our dog sat in the shade under the table & was given a bowl of water, menu was good, my son (13) & I had a small portion of ham, egg & chips & Fish of the day & chips & my partner had a large fish & chips & we got a side portion of chicken strips which I think was a starter, the food was AMAZING! the staff were very polite & smart & asked if our food was ok, did we want sauces etc. Toilets were clean, although sat inside I had a peak inside & it looked every nice, we had Purbeck ice cream for desert which is to die for, over all a very good end to our day in Dorset, 3 mains, 3 drinks, 3 desserts & a starter for £55 isn't at all bad value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Historic pub in a scenic setting with a large outside grassed area at the front. We have been a few times in the past, but this is the first time since its been refurbished. It has a much more adventurous menu than previously. I had fish and chips and my partner had the sea bass. Both were okay, but my chips were average and my partners potatoes were a little over done for her tastes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

On a short break in the village, my party ate here two nights running, as we had enjoyed it so much the first time. The food and the service were all excellent, with a wide variety, and very good value for money - thank you. Will return the next time I visit the Jursassic coast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2013

What a change - this place used to be a dump but since the new owners took over it's a million times better. They've done a big refurb, staff are smart and very pleasant, food was good and the pub was packed with people dining. Well done!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Dropped in on a cold and grey June (Tuesday) evening. I found the Kings Arms lacked the atmosphere of a local, but the staff were pleasant enough, and everything was clean, tidy and attractively presented. We asked for a table by the large glass windows overlooking the garden and the staff were quick to clear space for us, but that is when the speediness of the service waned. It wasn't busy by any stretch of the imagination, but we had to wait over twenty minutes for a plate of charcuterie as a starter, and then a further twenty minutes between that and our main course. I cannot fault the food though. The cold meats were generous and full of flavour, and the home-made pies for our main course very tasty indeed. Just that wait to take the shine off the evening..... perhaps if we had been sitting in late evening sunshine in the garden, I wouldn't have noticed!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeithWhiteparish
KingsArmsPortesham, Owner at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Great to hear you enjoyed your food with us. As you mention, everything we do is cooked/prepared fresh to order, the potential downside to this is sometimes, as the customer, it will take a little longer than something that is microwaved or reheated, but the wait is repaid with a fresh good tasting dish. With your pie for example, it would take at least 20 minutes for the pastry to cook, some other dishes would be quicker, and others a little longer.
Hopefully you will be back to try other things on our menu in the future.
Best regards
Jo

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed there on a walking trip. Lee the owner and Joanne his CEO clearly know how to run a decent pub/bistro. V good food (locals packed it out), good front of house and cracking breakfast next day. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for your review, and great to hear you enjoyed your time with us.
Best regards
Jo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portesham
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#13 of 45 in Dorchester
The Richmoor Hotel
The Richmoor Hotel
#123 of 166 in Weymouth

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!