“lovely food shame aout the attitude”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 Portesham B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have visited the Kings arms on several occasions over the last 6 months visiting my family in Portesham .
The food has always been fantastic , especially the specials board , the food has always been presented very well and tastes divine , especially the game pie and the venison steaks.
Service from the staff is top notch , My only problem with the service is the landlady who thinks it ok to throw it in your face that that you must order your food before half past 2 and also thinks its ok to grab the empty plates from under your noses even though the rest of the family had not finished eating (maybe she could take some lessons from the rest of her staff?).
The landlady (Pat) seemed very stressed and it showed in her attitude (not the first time), I would rather it wasn't brought to my dinner table especially after spending over £100 on a lunch for 6 (including drinks).
I must say the food is very good value for money and better than most hotels.
I would recommend this pub especially if you are driving on the coast road in the summer as there is a very spacious garden and the pub is dog friendly and as I said earlier the food is great and served perfectly.
Do pop in for some great food.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mike s

Reviewed October 20, 2011

We were staying just up the road and popped in for a bite to eat....wow! The starters were delicious, homemade Mushroom soup, garlic mushrooms and I had chilli prawns (shell on) for the mains two of us had lamb shanks on a bed of mash and the meat simply fell off the bone. My husband and father in-law had the beer battered cod and were not disappointed. The fish portions were huge but they did manage to polish off the lot! Needless to say we had no room for pudding which was a real shame as the selection sounded wonderful. We were there on a Monday night and it was a very quiet night with just a couple of locals at the bar so my only criticism would be that they could have done with a little background music. We are staying in the area again in May and will definitely be back.....

Our dog was made most welcome and Pat even came over with some doggy treats so she was very impressed!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Wrongsideofforty
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I tought it was about time i wrote about the Kings Arms as it is my fifth visit there. What a warm welcome by Pat and Phil Abercrombie and all there staff. with yummy home cooked food and puddings a real treat and always plenty of menu specials on the board, The Pub is set in the beautiful hill sides of Dorset in the lovely village of Portesham. a place to relax and chill.A place that i always look forward to returning to :0}

Room Tip: Pets are welcome in the pub on leads,end in the beer gardens,not in the rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We found this lovely place to stay while browsing what to do while we were on vacation from Texas USA and felt it would be an amazing true rural experience. Well all I can say is I felt like the queen! We were welcomed very warmly by the owners Pat & Phil along with there staff. To add to this the room was fabulous, amazing views, very quiet and also kid friendly for our 2 year old daughter! (she had a blast in the gardens and looking at the ducks in the natural stream that runs thru the grounds).
All I can add is WE WILL BE BACK. Thank you for making our stay an enjoyable experience...

Room Tip: All rooms are similar and very roomy, comfortable and clean
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We called in at this pub unplanned, as we were passing by. The pub itself is lovely, the gardens were superb, lots of seats and a stream running through the garden. We thought we would have a lunchtime snack so ordered baguettes which were approximately £5 each. I was disappointed when they arrived, the baguette was very dry, there was a small amount of side salad but no dressing on it, we weren't offered cutlery so obviously intended to eat with our hands, which was fine it was just a baguette, but we also were not given a serviette/napkin. To top it off there was a hair on my husbands baguette as well. So lovely place but the food was unremarkable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crazeecatz
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Lovely pub, doggie friendly, good service, lovely food, a bit pricey, but big portions. So nice we visited 3 times during our 1 week hol. Definately recommend, typical village pub.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed May 26, 2011

great spot on the coast road between weymouth and bridport pub and b&b food was very good as well as great tasting real ales realy enjoyed ourselfs will come again many thanks to pat and phil for making us so welcome great time had by all

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank portesham11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portesham
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Bexington
Abbotsbury Tea Rooms
Abbotsbury Tea Rooms
#1 of 6 in Abbotsbury

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!