“Simply the best”

40Knots Kitesurfing & Windsurfing School Antigua
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Freetown
More attraction details
Owner description: Our school offers high quality kitesurfing in Antigua. We offer tuition with IKO certified instructors (International Kitesurfing Organization) with the latest and safest equipment. We are located in Nonsuch Bay, on the windward shore of Antigua, in the Caribbean, where the trade winds blow strong and constant. The bay is completely closed by the reef and offers a condition of warm and flat water, ideal to learn and progress. Updated equipment, newest teaching methods and power boat assistance make the best combination for your perfect learning experience. The kitesurfing lessons will start from the beach of Green Island, a tiny island windward to Nonsuch bay, with white sand and crystal blue water; a perfect landing/launching area for kites.
Reviewed July 15, 2015

I presented Jamal with the ultimate task. A complete novice with no previous experience or knowledge of kites, sailing or surfing.
The whole team were very helpful and friendly . I had 3 lessons with Jamal who was a fantastic instructor. Very capable, knowledgable and patient. Above all an instructor. Always observing and tweaking your technique to I was up on the board by the end of lesson 2. A further lesson with Sam and by the end if the week was surfing. Still some way to go to be if the standard and finesse of the 40 knots guys but absolutely thrilled to be up and feeling confident. Thank you guys. Can't recommend them highly enough.

1  Thank Andy B
"many thanks"
"no matter"
"complete beginner"

Reviewed July 11, 2015

It does not take long to realize that this is not just a business for them. They llive and breathe kitesurfing (Heck they even take kitesurfing vacations around the world when not teaching!).

The level of instruction and experience you get with them is top notch. To top it off everybody in the school is just very caring and just wonderful people to be around.

Sussie (not sure about the spelling) is great with kids as well. I would not hesitate to have my son (too young right now) to be introduced to kitesurfing by these guys. From the basics of kiteflying, to body dragging (this sounds worse than what it is, it actually is a lot of fun!), to getting on the board I always felt they had the right amount of encouragement, instruction and feedback.
The location is also spectacular. Every day during my 7 day stay there was wind.
I can't wait to see them again.

Date of experience: June 2015
3  Thank E6A4
Reviewed July 7, 2015

I recommend 40Knots and would use them again if I had the opportunity. Sam was a very professional and knowledgeable instructor and was very patient with me during my lesson. I opted for their "Private Tuition" option. I had the instructor's full attention/assistance during my lesson. We had a bit of bad weather followed by fluctuating winds. 40Knots was prepared with gear for me and was able to adjust to the wind conditions. And, only "time-on-water" was counted towards my allotted time.

We stayed at Nelson's Dockyard and traveled to Nonsuch Bay Resort (approx. 40 min drive). The drive took us through some quite remote areas; we were fine in our rented Rav4 but had to maneuver some rough (sometimes dirt/gravel) roads to get there. Guests are allowed to accompany the students to Green Island. My wife joined me on the trip, however, she opted to stay at the resort since the weather was questionable. Her time there was fine, but probably would have been better if we were guests at the resort. From the resort, you can see the kiteboarders in the distance but you'll need a telescopic lens to capture any photographs.

My goal this trip was to be able to ride upwind. Sam helped me accomplish that goal, so I was very satisfied with my experience with 40Knots. And, if given the chance, I would use them again.

1  Thank Roddy15
Reviewed July 6, 2015

The sole purpose of my trip to Antigua was to learn how to kite surf and my lessons and experience surpassed my expectations! The entire team was incredibly friendly and I didn't feel at all self conscious about being a newbie. My instructor, Jamal, was incredibly patient and professional and great company- which is important when you're spending so much time together.

I reached out to the team about 2-3 wks in advance and they were great with timely and informative responses. They have all the gear you'll need, just show up!

If you're sitting there trying to decide whether booking this trip and signing up for lessons is going to be worth your money or time off, stop stalling! Go for it! You'll be in great hands and experiences like these are always worth it.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 17, 2015

I didn't know I wanted to be a kite surfer when I grow up, but thankfully, we stayed at the Nonsuch Bay Resort and 40 Knots is located here. I ran into these guys at the resort and I'm so happy we did. My wife and I both learned how to kite surf. It's a great location and the instructors are really great people. They are overly patient and it was a blast picking up the new skill. We are going to come back next year (June and July has the summer winds and the resort is empty - it's the best time to be here) to continue surfing and hopefully pick up a few tricks.

Date of experience: June 2015