40Knots Kitesurfing & Windsurfing School Antigua
Review Highlights
Awesome experience

Had a great time with the staff at 40 knots. Despite my floundering in the water for a while, my... read more

Reviewed March 3, 2020
613marcusk
Best thing I've ever done

This was truly amazing. The staff are so friendly and helpful, and the location is jaw droopingly... read more

Reviewed February 19, 2020
ColoradoGoldRush
Breckenridge, Colorado

Recommended experiences in and around Antigua
from $174.36
from $64.11
from $107.16
from $78.21
More Info
All reviews these guys nonsuch bay resort my son coming back great place to learn few days looking forward great location taking lessons can't wait to come back next year second to none great equipment first class paddle boarding excellent instruction friendly instructors
Selected filters
Reviewed July 11, 2015

It does not take long to realize that this is not just a business for them. They llive and breathe kitesurfing (Heck they even take kitesurfing vacations around the world when not teaching!).

The level of instruction and experience you get with them is top notch. To top it off everybody in the school is just very caring and just wonderful people to be around.

Sussie (not sure about the spelling) is great with kids as well. I would not hesitate to have my son (too young right now) to be introduced to kitesurfing by these guys. From the basics of kiteflying, to body dragging (this sounds worse than what it is, it actually is a lot of fun!), to getting on the board I always felt they had the right amount of encouragement, instruction and feedback.
The location is also spectacular. Every day during my 7 day stay there was wind.
I can't wait to see them again.

3  Thank E6A4
Reviewed July 7, 2015

I recommend 40Knots and would use them again if I had the opportunity. Sam was a very professional and knowledgeable instructor and was very patient with me during my lesson. I opted for their "Private Tuition" option. I had the instructor's full attention/assistance during my lesson. We had a bit of bad weather followed by fluctuating winds. 40Knots was prepared with gear for me and was able to adjust to the wind conditions. And, only "time-on-water" was counted towards my allotted time.

We stayed at Nelson's Dockyard and traveled to Nonsuch Bay Resort (approx. 40 min drive). The drive took us through some quite remote areas; we were fine in our rented Rav4 but had to maneuver some rough (sometimes dirt/gravel) roads to get there. Guests are allowed to accompany the students to Green Island. My wife joined me on the trip, however, she opted to stay at the resort since the weather was questionable. Her time there was fine, but probably would have been better if we were guests at the resort. From the resort, you can see the kiteboarders in the distance but you'll need a telescopic lens to capture any photographs.

My goal this trip was to be able to ride upwind. Sam helped me accomplish that goal, so I was very satisfied with my experience with 40Knots. And, if given the chance, I would use them again.

Date of experience: July 2015
1  Thank Roddy15
Reviewed July 6, 2015

The sole purpose of my trip to Antigua was to learn how to kite surf and my lessons and experience surpassed my expectations! The entire team was incredibly friendly and I didn't feel at all self conscious about being a newbie. My instructor, Jamal, was incredibly patient and professional and great company- which is important when you're spending so much time together.

I reached out to the team about 2-3 wks in advance and they were great with timely and informative responses. They have all the gear you'll need, just show up!

If you're sitting there trying to decide whether booking this trip and signing up for lessons is going to be worth your money or time off, stop stalling! Go for it! You'll be in great hands and experiences like these are always worth it.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed June 17, 2015

I didn't know I wanted to be a kite surfer when I grow up, but thankfully, we stayed at the Nonsuch Bay Resort and 40 Knots is located here. I ran into these guys at the resort and I'm so happy we did. My wife and I both learned how to kite surf. It's a great location and the instructors are really great people. They are overly patient and it was a blast picking up the new skill. We are going to come back next year (June and July has the summer winds and the resort is empty - it's the best time to be here) to continue surfing and hopefully pick up a few tricks.

2  Thank Joe C
Reviewed June 14, 2015

We experienced 40Knots as part of a recent cruise. My daughter was wanting to surf and when we couldn't find a surfing option as part of our cruise excursions she decided on kite surfing. I contacted 40Knots several months in advance of the cruise and they were great to respond to me quickly and answer all of my questions. The day ended up being a lot of fun but I have several comments/recommendations that I'm hoping will help others. 1) As a cruise passenger I would hesitate to recommend 40Knots because it is 40 minutes from the port and the resort is VERY secluded. The taxi drivers indicate they don't typically take very many cruise passengers to Nonsuch Bay and therefore want to charge $50 each way. Our taxi driver waited on us while we were there rather than returning to the port area and coming back later. 2) Kite surfing (for a beginner) takes more time than a cruise passenger has to really enjoy it. In our favor the wind was not strong enough to allow for kite surfing so we were told we should either wind surf or wake board. We chose to wind surf. It was a great experience. Chris was very patient with me and my daughter and was a lot of fun to work with. My husband and our friend stayed on shore and watched us and were told they were allowed to use any of the resort amenities (a couple of infinity pools, the restaurant, etc.). After approximately an hour and a half we were asked if we would like to wake board. We were somewhat tired and thought this might be a good break from the wind surfing. So, we started to load up one of the boats but quickly discovered it would not start; therefore, we loaded up in another boat and Chris, me and my daughter took off and went quite a ways into the "bay" area of the ocean. My daughter tried to get up a couple of times on the wakeboard and then the boat died. I then tried to wakeboard a couple of times and like my daughter decided I was too tired. We were ready to head back and the boat continued to die and wouldn't run. We floated/drifted for quite some time. Chris finally called and Suzy came out to tow us back (my husband said she had to try a couple of boats before getting in one that worked). Once we got back our time was up and I was ready to pay. I quickly learned that I was being charged for the wind surfing and the wake boarding which was a surprise to me since I assumed (I know... you should never assume!) that there would be no additional charge for the wakeboarding since we were still within our time allotment, there were problems with the boat and we drifted for a while and we had to covert from kite surfing to wind surfing (which granted was not the resorts fault). However, even with these issues it was a very memorable afternoon and we truly enjoyed our time and meeting/working with Suzy and Chris. Suzy did give my daughter a t-shirt for our troubles which I thought was nice of her. In summary, fun adventure that I'm glad we did but I would only try this again in the future if we were staying at the resort and had more time and also knew the boats were in better working order.