40Knots Kitesurfing & Windsurfing School Antigua
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Freetown
More attraction details
Owner description: Our school offers high quality kitesurfing in Antigua. We offer tuition with IKO certified instructors (International Kitesurfing Organization) with the latest and safest equipment. We are located in Nonsuch Bay, on the windward shore of Antigua, in the Caribbean, where the trade winds blow strong and constant. The bay is completely closed by the reef and offers a condition of warm and flat water, ideal to learn and progress. Updated equipment, newest teaching methods and power boat assistance make the best combination for your perfect learning experience.
The kitesurfing lessons will start from the beach of Green Island, a tiny island windward to Nonsuch bay, with white sand and crystal blue water; a perfect landing/launching area for kites.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My wife and I vacationed in Antigua last June and stayed at the Nonsuch Bay Resort. Despite being a life long sailor, I've never been able to get the hang of kitesurfing. My wife was assured by the instructors that she would have a great time and that she should try it. We both took lessons and had a blast. I was very excited to be able to get up on the board after just a short while...largely due to the great instruction.

40 Knots has an awesome setup with taking people out to Green Island and launching from such a beautiful spot. I hope that we will be able to return again soon and will certainly be back for more kiteboarding lessons and fun!

All reviews
"taking lessons"
"warm water"
"great location"

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm lucky enough to have had the privilege of two kiting holidays with 40 Knots. Both of which were equally amazing and pivotal to building my kiting skills.

Max, Irene, Chris, Sus and Vaughn are really an incredible team. They naturally promote a glowing safe but entertaining style of instruction.

Each instructors passion and commitment to their students' enjoyment of the sport is evident from there willingness to assist anyone at anytime. Even when they are passing in a tender, or in the middle of their lunch break, the guys and girls are full of valuable encouragement and tips. Additionally, Max (often to be found eating biscuits in the 40 Knots beach-side Shop) will offer you free advice on anything (relating to kiting or not) based on his vast but humble knowledge and experience of kiting.

With regards to the location, Nonsuch Bay and Green Island comprise a perfect spot for Caribbean kiting. On week days Green Island offers a deserted island serenity and at weekends a social scene of all different ages all with one common passion. Nonsuch Bay is a large and picturesque bay lying just to leeward of Green Island. It provides a vast training ground to practise your mistakes and sea-water intake or a lengthy downwind cruise at the end of the day.

Seeing the instructors teach other people on and off the beach it was incredible to see the versatility of their teaching style. They seem to be able to tailor their techniques to work efficiently with each and every age, experience and character. Therefore I would actively encourage anyone regardless of age or experience to kite with 40 Knots at Green Island. (I enjoyed my time with 40 Knots this winter so much that I actually delayed my flight by a week in order to get seven more days of kiting in!)

Most notable though, is the way in which Max, Irene, Chris, Sus and Vaughn will entertain you come rain or shine, breeze or calm and welcome you make you feel part of their family.

A massive thanks to a great team and I can literally hardly wait the eight months until I'm back!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We (girlfriend and I) where searching for a kitesurf vacation. After carefull research, I came upon 40knots school in Antigua. I've taken kitesurfing lessons before, but the instructors haven't always been that reliable.

What a pleasent surprise this team of Italian and German instructors turned out to be! I took lessons with Irene, Suzie and Chris, and they all provided the same high quality training, great amount of patience, encouragement and knowledge of their sport.

As a plus, the spot (Nonsuch Bay) is amazing.

Can't wait to go back and start practicing some jumps !

Thanks alot guys and see ya soon !

Cynthia and Juan (Argentina)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have taken lessons a couple of different times over the winter, Irene and crew are professional, stressing safety but at the same time they make it a blast .Their venue is amazing with conditoins that are epic. I willl be going back in November and am looking forward to continuing my lessons

See more reviews
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am a windsurfer, have been for 7 years I have slowly watched my favorite windsurf spots become over crowded with large kites swooping and diving around the beach goers and dog walkers.

I have always had a grudge against kite surfing and refused to try it despite friends telling me it's safe, fun and easy.

Recently I have chosen a job and lifestyle that mean windsurfing is no longer an option so I took the plunge and thought i should learn to kite surf.

40Knots were amazing, Max and the team completely understood how I was feeling about the transition and reassured me that I wouldn't regret it, I had a series of 3 lessons and was riding in both directions by the last lesson, so hooked was I that I bought my own kite and board so I can continue to kite surf.

The set up is great, with the kites rigged and floating waiting for you so you get maximum time on, in and under the water. The instructors were great, clear instruction and patient chasing after you in the ribs!!

My only criticism would be that there was very little time spent on launching and landing the kite from the beach, the teaching focus is correctly placed upon time on the water and riding the board to show people how 'easy' the sport is and how quick the progression can be. I only reflect now because having bought my own kite after my lessons at 40Knots I have realized I really know very little about getting the kite safely off and back to the beach.

To sum up, 40Knots were brilliant, professional, bent over backwards to work around my work schedule, I cannot wait to return to Antigua as I will certainly be heading back to 40Knots for some more lessons.