So where to begin... firstly its seems some people knit pick about certain things like the beach and the wind!! Get a grip, do some research before you come. First point, the beach, its small and cleaned every day and perfect to relax and for families. Its not Dickenson Bay but then again its not covered in hotels and people in tattoos and cruise ship clients. Point two, the wind. The wind is perfect, keeps you cool and the kids cool and is great for sailing. We spent some time out of the wind on Half Moon Bay and its was so damned hot! Yes, to get to Nonsuch you have to travel down an un-surfaced road but surely that is part of the charm, or at least I thought so, anyway it is soon to be surfaced!
This is the longest review I have every written but I feel the need...
Nonsuch bay is wonderful... The accommodation is first class and not like anywhere else I have been in the Caribbean (no terracotta tiles or flowery bedspreads here). The staff are simply fantastic in every department. Yes they can be a little slow in the restaurant at times but after a couple of days you slow down too... Restaurant is great, sometimes exceptional, sometimes very good and sometimes just good. Its as good as you are going to get on Antigua if not better and is made even better by the staff who look after you.
The kids club is great if a little expensive. My boys (9 and 5) loved it and learned to sail and just had the best time. No sitting around in a play room is not for this kids club, they were active and safe all day.
Location of the hotel is a little away from it all but that's part of its charm its also not far from one of the most beautiful beaches In the World 'Half Moon Bay'. However its only 30 minutes from English Harbour. If you like to sail then this is the place for you, wonderful constant wind and open waters protected by the reef. If you remember Sunsail in Antigua, its that but a much higher standard all around. The team who look after the sailing and great and know exactly how to sail, you can trust them with you life and your children's life's.
If you want big beaches, flashy hotels and lots of people then its not for you. If you want subtle style, Caribbean hospitality, great kids club, great food and a wonderful climate then this is for you.
I love Antigua exactly because its not Barbados and Nonsuch Bay is Antigua.
We are already planning our next trip to Nonsuch Bay a simply wonderful place.
Almost too many names to mention at Nonsuch but special shout out to Timmy and David in the bar, Brenda who baby sat for us most nights, Natasha in the kids club, Shakimba who took my boys and I sailing, the restaurant staff, Ruth who is just lovely and everyone who looked after us.
Walking back to our apartment after dinner under star studded skies along palm tree lined roads was wonderful. It is Antigua but it could be the South Pacific.. HEAVEN.
Counting the days!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nonsuch Bay Resort nestles in forty exotic acres of the stunning bay carved out of the southeast of Antigua; embraced by lush tropical hills, a uniquely private and serene setting, a tranquil haven and home to wildlife including dolphins and turtles. Pure relaxation is blended with out-an-out adrenalin, and the finest luxuries with the simplest of pleasures. Resort facilities comprise a dramatically positioned restaurant, 3 infinity swimming pools, seclude sandy beach, 30 sailboats and tuition, kitesurfing, windsurfing, SUPs and spa treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, TravelUp, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Nonsuch Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nonsuch Bay Hotel Freetown
- Nonsuch Bay Resort Antigua/Freetown