“Exceeded expectations!”
Review of Nonsuch Bay Resort

Nonsuch Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Freetown
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived last Wednesday and stayed for four nights. It was my first time to Antigua so I did not know what to expect. We rented a car after reading various reviews that the hotel was 30 minutes from town, and we are glad we did! We drove in from the airport after stopping at a local grocery store to stock up on a few snack, lunch and drink items. First of all, the grocery store was one of the nicest I have ever been in- States included! It had everything you could possibly need. After a quick trip to the store, we made our way to the hotel via the directions they provided. The roads aren't marked as well as in the States, but the directions were good and we didn't get lost :) When we arrived, we were greeted with rum punch and extremely friendly service. We were taken to our 1 bedroom villa which blew my mind!

Our villa was complete with a/c, wrap around balcony, kitchen with stainless steel appliances, wifi, ipod/iphone dock to play music from, first class decorations and furniture (including a large dining room table), king sized bed, separate bath and shower, walk in closet and in room safe. It was great!

The first night we ate at the hotel and it was superb! The chef was actually voted 2011 Caribbean chef of the year. Nice food choices, great wine, and loved the little surprise snack they brought out before each dinner. They offer dinner every half hour from 6:30-8:30. We always chose the 8:30 dinner because we like later dinners. We usually finished around 10pm, enough time to have one more drink at the bar before it closed at 10:30! The restaurant is open every day and every night (not sure what other reviewers were talking about when they said it wasn't. Maybe this is a new thing)

We spent our first day snorkeling at Green Island. The hotel gives you a dingy ride over there (about 5-10 minutes) and comes back to pick you up when you want. They also give you a walkie talkie to radio over if you want an earlier/later pick up. It was BEAUTIFUL! We had the beach to ourselves for the first part and during the second part, a booze cruise came stopped at the beach. It was actually really fun! They invited us on their boat and gave us free drinks and a free lunch. (I forgot to mention that the hotel will pack you a lunch if you want to take a picnic.) We had so much fun, we asked to picked up later. The snorkeling was nice and the water was perfect.

The second night we took a taxi to Shirley Heights for sunset (great photo opportunity!), dinner and the steel drum band. It was nice to get such a great view, but I heard Sundays are the best night to go because that is their "big" night. Unfortunately, we were leaving Sunday, so Thursday it was. Dinner was bbq....yum! Our taxi driver then took us to English Harbor where we explored a little bit of the night life. The town is really cute and everyone is SO friendly! It was a mix between locals and yachters/sailors who were docking for the weekend in English Harbor. We returned to our hotel later in the night after the 30 minute drive back from town. The cab fare is $70 US roundtrip, but worth it, I thought. *Note: cabs only take cash and the closes ATM is in English Harbor. Make sure you have cash before getting to the resort (although at the resort everything is charged to the room) but just in case you want to venture out).

The next day we drove 15 minutes in our rental car to Half Moon Bay beach which is beautiful! It can get windy on some days, but our day was just perfect. We did some body surfing on the waves, sunbathing and walked the beach. Great afternoon! For afternoon lunch and drinks, we went to Smiling Harry's beach bar (right by Half Moon Bay beach). In the future, I think I'd pack a lunch and just go for the drinks. It was delicious, but there were some flies around the food that kind of grossed me out. (This didn't happen any where else).

Dinner was done at the hotel the rest of the nights (and it was great every night)

Our last full day we drove our rental car to the southwest side of the island to explore more beaches, and do more snorkeling. We drove down Fig Tree drive (beautiful scenery) to Darkwood Beach. It was about a 1 hour drive from the hotel. The beach was very pretty, although the snorkeling was about a mile to two out and we didn't feel comfortable going that far with out life jackets (which we forgot!) so, we swam and sunbathed. Then, went down the road to Gibsons beach restaurant. It is a very nice (and kind of expensive) restaurant RIGHT on the beach. It was a GREAT view and is everything I dream of when I think of a beach restaurant! After, we headed to Jolly Beach to see what a more touristy area of Antigua looks like. Just as you'd expect, lots of people selling trinkets on the beach, as well as jet ski rides, fishing excursions, etc. Not bad, but I liked the simplicity of Nonsuch better :)

Everything about this trip was just perfect! I'd have to say the friendliness of everyone on the island really stood out. The views were spectacular from almost every point on the island and the weather was perfect (it rained one evening for about 10 minutes, then was back to being great)

I highly recommend Nonsuch Bay Resort!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CourtneyC978
There are newer reviews for Nonsuch Bay Resort

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I grabbed my 3 children (all 8 or younger) and set out on a last minute trip to Antigua. Our "room" turned out to be a brand new, gorgeous apartment with hardwood floors, ocean views, a kitchen with Viking appliances, finest linens, etc. Property is gorgeous; lodge is candle lit and quiet. Staff was fabulous, the food was fantastic, we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Haskidswilltravel
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I echo the praise of other reviewers. Excellent service- they brought us salt and pepper to the room, drinks to the beach, massages on the balcony of our villa, basically whatever we asked for. The restaurant was outstanding. Great seafood and presentation on everything. Beautiful, secluded beach. I had the beach to myself every morning at 8am to do yoga, and on the days we stayed at the resort on the beach, there were maybe 5 people at most on the beach with us. The infinity pools are lovely, but why go to the pool when the ocean is right there, and just as warm! I would recommend renting a car, as it is pretty far off the beaten path, and I imagine it would be extremely expensive and time consuming to get taxis.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank curlytb
Reviewed January 13, 2012

So we arrived by taxi down an unmade road to an oasis of paradise. Silence.

A superb welcome was followed by a tour of our stunning apartment. The sailing facilities are second to none and within minutes everyone knows you by name, not room number.

The restaurant is great, and reasonable, the lunch menu has better choice than dinner and can be ordered to your room at night. There is a car hire company very close that delivers and a store within 15 minute drive.

Ok, so you may want more going on but this is by far the best resort on the island and the one to beat - you want nightlife? Spend 10 minutes longer in the taxi!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank HonestJon740
Reviewed December 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Nonsuch Bay Resort for one week in early December, 2011. I was truly overwhelmed by the attention to detail and service by all staff members that we encountered. We were in Antigua for business as we were attending the annual crewed charter yacht shows. While the resort was removed from English and Falmouth Harbors and the shows, the trip by rental car each day was very well worth the effort. The resort proved to be a relaxing and comfortable haven away from the hustle and bustle of the show. Our 3 bedroom condo was absolutely wonderful - extremely well appointed and very comfortable. This would be a great location for a honeymoon, anniversary or for a family looking for comfort as well as available activities. I plan to return to Antigua every year for the annual crewed charter yacht shows and when I do, I will definitely return to Nonsuch Bay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank mountain_couple
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I booked this Resort after looking at the various reviews from tripadvisor. So I'll have to post my review.
The resort is located in the middle of nature without any links to the town/city life. We were received very well with a drink and were taken to our villa which was in the middle lane. there are three lanes. The bottom one the closest to the beach and the middle one with better views and the third one on top of the middle one which has got even better views (imagine three steps in a staircase).. I dont have words to explain the villa. It was the best ever villa I've seen and just like the ones in the photos. I wish I have a villa like that in future when I retire. The hall/lobby was big enough with a grand sofa, Flat Tv, Iphone/Ipod Dock, Big dining table to seat 8 people I guess. Then a fully furnished kitchen with the microwave, coffee maker, toaster and you name whatever you need in a kitchcn, you have it. The best part of it, the quality of the furnishing.. Then coming to the master bed room. The bed was the best I've seen so far. (I've traveled quite a lot and stayed in some good 5* hotels).. The bed was master king size I think. The wardrobe was great and good enough to put in all our luggage.. Then the master bathroom.. It had ensuite bath as well a Jacuzzi.. Just great.. We had booked for a 1 bed villa but was given a 2 bed. The other one also was looking great with a couple of guest beds and a en suite bath. there was also a store room which had the washing machine which was working perfectly (just that you need to buy the washing powder, which was not good.. a couple of sachet can be provided by the resort and charge for more).. I've not yet reached the best part of the villa yet. Yes, it's the balcony with a pair of beautiful chairs say for a cup of tea or even drinks. Then a grand dining table as well.. And then a couple of wonderful beach bed with cushion and a stand, a wonderful place to relax with a sea and pool view. Yes, we had a pool just in front of the villa.. It's 1.5 meters deep and great place to enjoy..
I should mention that the Wi-Fi is available in each villa separately, The speed is not so nice as UK (which makes sense) but good enough to do the general mail checks and photos upload and streaming. The Air Conditioner was the best I've seen. Temperature can maintained in each rooms..
We were looking for a relaxed holiday without any routines, activities and this is exactly what we got.
The Continental Breakfast was included in the package and we were pampered. Great fruits and pastries (especially the muffins) to mention a few. We just had food in the restaurant once and the chef was kind enough to customize it to our needs. the food was expensive though (£60 for two people).
Plus about the Villa:
1) Hospitality and Service.
2) Quality of the Villa
3) Silent place
4) Attitude of the villa representatives to help us in every chance. I've not seen this anywhere else.
5)Vernon's taxis for rent was great.
Minus about the Villa:
1) Location - We had to spend $60 every time to go out to the town by taxi which is very expensive.
2) Lack of any grocery shops nearby so that we can get some fresh veg/fruits and cook ourself in the kitchen.
3) Expensive food in the restaurant.
4) Not a great beach. Definitely not for swim, but only for sail.
5) Directions not available within the estate to lead us to the reception which was a bit of trouble when we were there for the first time.

Verdict:
If you're looking for a calm and relaxing holiday with a very few activities planned and ready to spend, this is the place. you'll be pampered.
But if you're looking for a action filled holiday, find a villa near a proper beach and water sports action (like the sandals).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AravindKumar
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Nonsuch Bay Resort was nice - we had a fairly large family so we stayed in the townhouses. They were very nice - private pool, but would reccomend staying in other part of resort with a view of the bay. It worked out fine for us as we had a rental car, but otherwise would have been a pain. Beach was nice and quiet, but after about 10 feet sea grass starts so not much to do other than wading. Restaurant was nice - food was really good. We really didn't use the sailing ammenities all that much - did sailing lessons for the kids on last day - they enjoyed it very much - staff was very helpful. We also took trip out to Green Island for a few hours which was nice - only ones on beach decent snorkeling even for 6yr old. my only complaint and it is a minor one is that they chaged for us using snorkeling gear - I mean why even bother??? Overall very nice and friendly staff if we ever make it back to Antigua would stay here again - maybe different room and get the sailing watersports included.

Room Tip: Make sure you know where you are staying in Resort - choose rooms overlooking main bay.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Jim D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freetown
Blue Waters Antigua
#1 of 7 in Saint Mary's
The Verandah Resort & Spa
The Verandah Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Saint Philips

Been to Nonsuch Bay Resort? Share your experiences!