“sunday carvery”

Wynnstay Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Ruabon B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We were a group of 8 who had the 3 course Carvery last Sunday June 21 2014 we all enjoyed the soup which was obviously home made the choice of Carvery was beef turkey or Gannon which I had a slice of each the veg was plentiful and . the rosaries were good but the best was the new potatoes ,the cheesecake that had was scrumptious my husband thoroughly enjoyed his chocolate pudding.The staff were friendly and attentive but not too much .We all enjoyed our meal so much that my husband and I are returning tonight to try the 2meals for ten pounds.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Contrary to some reviews of this hotel I must rate it highly. Four of us stayed there last weekend (June 2014) and had a great time. Don't expect 4 star luxury and you wont be disappointed. The cooked breakfast was a highlight, as was the friendliness of the very accomodating staff. Would stay there again without hesitation. Touring Wales on motorcycles, overnight parking is always a concern, but the manager arranged secure storage which was very much appreciated.

Room Tip: Has to be room 10 (4 poster)
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teefytwo
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Seriously... Don't do it. If you want unfriendly staff, a toilet that doesn't flush, a rusty towel rail, dodgy light fittings, a dodgy oil-filled radiator, a TV that doesn't work, no lighting in the hallway, no wi fi and really bad food in the restaurant then this is perfect for you!!! Don't do it!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Julie W
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Quote from Booking.com.conformation.
"Check-in Tuesday, 25 February 2014 (12:00 - 23:30)".
That tells me 11.30pm is the time for last arrival.
Please bear with me whilst I explain our situation.
We live in Somerset and our first grandchild was due to be born in Wrexham. That's three hour drive for us. The mother went into labour two weeks early. We took the call and on our way we had to book a hotel for a night and we chose The Wynnstay Arms Hotel for location and cost. so we booked online via this website. Yes, the staff DID NOT know any of the above. We arrived before the birth and all was well. We drove to the hotel, realising it would be about 2300hrs before we got to the hotel so we tried to ring at 2235, whilst driving to say we would be there but it would be later than we would like. No answer on the telephone. Not even an answer phone message. Check we have the right number. Yes we have so ring again. Still no reply. Arrived at 2255 to find the place in darkness. I walked all around the property and I observed an infa-red webcam viewing the hotel reception doorway. There was a light on through a window to the side of the door and a light on in rooms above the door. I tried to rouse someone of our arrival by knocking on the door as no bell was evident. We tried phoning again but got no answer. I stopped a passerby who knew the establishment and he offered assistance by ringing the number displayed on the sandwich boards stood by the roadside outside the hotel entrance. The archway into the reception doorway. No answer so he tried doors and knocked on windows. We stood in full view of the webcam and he could not understand how this could have happened. He took us to another establishment a short walk away to ask if they could provide us with a one night's stay. They were fully booked. We now have to drive back to Wrexham to find accommodation, well after midnight.
I rang The Wynnstay Arms Hotel the following morning and spoke to John. He knew nothing of our booking or of our not arriving. His response was that we closed at 9pm that evening and NO staff had been retained to keep the reception open after they had closed for the night. When asked why they had not rung the contact details I had submitted, his reply was, We have so many no shows a month that it is not a practise we employ.
I hope that you get better treatment than we did as I feel what we got was, TRULY SHABBY.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sixwheels
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I called the hotel 01978822187, I intended to book accommodation , I have a tastecard (Diner's club) ,I called if they accept the taste card or the Gourmet society card for the reduced price dinner in the hotel before I book a room.

The man staff who pretended to be a manager ( the real manager should be Jean Roberts ) shouted at me and swore at me. He said that I have an accent , he did not understand my language !! ( He asked if I came from overseas because of my little bit of accent )
I do not think this is a very polite and good hotel .The standard of customer Service is poor and terrible!!

Room Tip: Travellers must prepare to face rude staff
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank A M P
Reviewed February 21, 2014

A very spontaneous trip with the children during half term. I was very impressed with the place on arrival but once we went in everything changed. I had booked the night before on line but they didn't know I was coming. We waited while a member of staff went to "check" the room and then he showed us to it. The cobwebs had cobwebs, a chunk missing out of the basin and stains that looked like mouth wash on the side, the electric shower didn't look attached properly, taps badly tarnished, a nail sticking out from the carpet in the hall. The room was actually a self contained flat but the oven door wasn't secure and a band of masking tape was around the door saying do not use. No way of washing cups. Even the TV remote had the battery cover missing. Rubbish behind a unit in the lounge. Sadly not impressed. The breakfast was ok and the chef was very sweet, nothing was too much trouble and despite being told how busy the rooms were the previous evening there was only my family and one other person staying. The evening meal was ok but the chips were over done. This hotel has so much potential. It needs a complete makeover and health and safety issues addressing. (don't leave table linen on the stairs when you have people coming down them, basic stuff really) Overall I wouldn't return, nor recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Juliewalker72
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We thought we'd try out the 2 for £10 menu. It was very quiet in the bar, but was a pretty awful night weather wise. We ordered scampi and chips and gammon and egg and chips. The menu was basic pub grub and you get what you pay for. Chips weren't very crisp. The salad had a nice dressing on it. Hubby had sticky toffee pudding to follow, which he said was good. There wasn't a lot of atmosphere in the place. It all felt tired and the lady who served us wasn't overly chatty. We wouldn't rush to go again.

Room Tip: Only had a meal so can't comment on rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jchambers020613
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruabon
Bryn Howel Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chirk
The Queens Hotel
The Queens Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cefn-mawr

Been to Wynnstay Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!