“A little gem!”
Review of The Lord Byron Inn

The Lord Byron Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Trumpington B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I booked in here as I was attending a 3 day course nearby. My room was excellent with an en-suite shower. All clean and nicely presented, plenty of towels and complimentary toiletries. I ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food was very tasty, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The room price includes a full english breakfast which was freshly cooked and yummie. I would certainly stay here again.
My only concern was the door to my room only had a yale lock and there was no safety chain fitted. It would had been better if the door was locked more securely.

Room Tip: Wifi worked better nearer the main building
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Maxine N

Reviewed April 11, 2014

My husband and I have a steak dinner each Thursday. This Thursday 10.04.14 we decided to cycle further afield to Trumpington. We hadn't been to this Inn is many years.

We were pleasantly surprised that it remains a family orientated Inn now with accommodation. The interior (some seating) perhaps in part could be updated, a little scruffy but overall it was very good, in particular the area by the traditional open fire.

We ordered two Sirloin steaks, the service was very good, friendly polite staff and the food arrived in a good time. The food was excellent, good quality steak and the accomplishing fries and tomatoes and onion rings in particular were of a great standard.

Certainly would recommend this Inn to people visiting Cambridge.

Steve and Claire Robertson

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire R
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Only Stayed for one night but room was clean everything worked staff were very freindly
nice breakfast in the morning and was in a good location i would stay here again if needed to stay overnight in Cambridge

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night for a social night out in Cambridge. Service behind the bar was good, breakfast in the morning was very good especially the friendly service. Room was nothing fancy but had all the bare essentials and cleanliness was good. Perfectly acceptable for somewhere to just spend the night if you need it.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Ben S
Reviewed February 16, 2014

It is what it is. Some depressing looking chalet style (Butlins not Swiss) motel rooms to the side of a pub. Don't come here for a romantic getaway - Anstey hall is 2 minutes walk away and gorgeous (and about the same price). If you just need a place to lay your head, then its fine.

I found the beds very comfortable, and the sheets are nice and crisp. They also give you plenty of hangers in the cupboard and some nice biscuits to go with your cuppa. The room was clean to a good standard as was the bathroom. TV fine. Didn't use the wi-fi as you needed a password and I didn't really need it so I didn't ask.

Unfortunately the list of bad points is a bit longer. You can hear most things through the walls. The shower is pretty dreadful (barely any water pressure and constant temperature changes - I didn't even try to wash my hair as I'd have been stuck in there for ages attempting to rinse it and not get scolded or frozen) The sink didn't drain for ages. The loo seat was wonky and loose. The flush button on the toilet is a little loose too. The shaving light didn't work. The blinds at the bedroom window hung loose at the bottom so wafted apart with most movements - at night everyone therefore can see you - in the morning the light shone through. No full length mirror which would have been nice. There seems to be a lot of background noise (boiler? heater?) during the night which kept waking me. We were Room 1.

The staff were all lovely and I think this is their saving grace. Thank you for those happy faces young lady at the bar Saturday night, lady doing breakfast Sunday morning, and cheery cleaning staff. We didn't eat an evening meal there, but breakfast was fine. Full cooked breakfast nicely done and made to order. Vegetarian option available. Small selection of cereal, fruit, yoghurts, bread for toasting and fruit juices. Tea and Coffee made to order. Perfectly nice. The breakfast room was fine. Nothing special.

You do have to pay up front. I don't mind this tbh but I know some people object. I booked via booking.com as its free cancellation.

Overall, it provided what we needed for an overnight stay. Its overpriced, and I would have rather stayed at a Premier Inn, but there doesn't happen to be one right there so that wasn't an option. Its convenient for events at Anstey Hall, when you can't actually get a room at Anstey Hall.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The food was terrible service and menu was crap we order our food and half of us had to reorder has they said they had run out of said food and this was on valentines night .once we ordered we waited about an hour for our food three of us ordered gammon steak what we got was cold ham off the bone and when we order the sweets they took about the same time to come anx there was about a spoonfull on each plate so if any one is thinking of going out for a meal think twice about this place would not recommend to anyone

Room Tip: The food was terrible service and menu was crap we order our food and half of us had to reorder has...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Steveshiver750
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst on business. The rooms are warm and cosy and the beds very comfortable. The only annoyance for me was the shower which was barely powerful enough to do its job (This really annoys me!). The walls are paper thin too and you can hear everyone in the rooms around you. Overall it was passable but without doubt a touch overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Craig W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trumpington
Ibis Cambridge Central Station
#1 of 3 in Trumpington
Ayah Villa
Ayah Villa
#2 of 3 in Trumpington

Been to The Lord Byron Inn? Share your experiences!