The Lord Byron Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Helen Hotel(Cambridge)
$232
$143
bedfinder
  • Restaurant
Ibis Cambridge Central Station(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$108
Fenners Hotel(Cambridge)
$122
$87
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsevening meal in the barthe bar staff were friendlycovered walkwayvillage pubmain pubrooms are basicbudget staypark and ridenice pubtea and coffee making facilitiesfull english breakfastfollowing morningovernight staysunday roastgood sizecooked breakfastcomfortable room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here as we were attending a wedding nearby in the village. Unfortunately, it was disappointing considering the cost. I have stayed at much better places in the past for less money than here.

A few things in particular were a problem. We ate lunch in the pub and my friend was served chicken which was off (she was refunded the cost of her sandwich, but not sure if it should've left the kitchen in the first place). In terms of the room, there was an appalling smell of drains in our bedroom and it was very noisy early in the morning the next day.

On the plus side, the pub is well located for walks in the surrounding countryside - just a 15 min stroll over to Grantchester for example.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Lord Byron's accomodation is a purpose built building housing a handful of rooms next to the pub. The surrounds are OK although a bit of a building site while we were there.

The rooms were clean and comfortable but basic. Comfy bed but a tiny, old television. The bathroom was spacious but my biggest complaint was the shower. The water pressure was almost zero, making a shower almost impossible. Which was a big problem when there was no bath either.

The breakfast, again was basic but very tasty. The staff were extremely friendly but seemingly spread very thin.

Would I recommend this hotel? Sadly, unless the shower issue is addressed then I could not. It was that big of an issue and one which could be easily resolved by inserting an electric pump.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as close to the pub as possible to get the best wifi signal.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The previous person does NOT KNOW WHAT SHE IS TALKING ABOUT. Her review is complete rubbish. The staff were nothing but helpful, the room was spotless, the pub was great, the breakfast was excellent quality and served by a really friendly lady.
I was at the same wedding and I know she is talking rubbish as I was staying in room 1 not her.
Okay, they are in the middle of renovating parts of the garden, but it does not detract from the place one bit.
The rooms are situated surrounded by trees, so insects are to be expected. Get over it.
As for no cash no drinks, what rubbish. I paid by card for my drinks as I bought them and it was no trouble at all.
I would like to thank the owners for a fabulous weekend, it was one of the best weddings I have ever been to.
It is a shame that all some people can do is moan!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Greg E
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have just returned having spent two nights at The Lord Byron Inn. This has been the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.. Upon arrival we were greeted half heartedly and left standing for about 10 minutes until we got keys. We had initially paid a 50% deposit on 4 double rooms. The girl who gave us keys did not seem to know how much the rooms were and how much we had paid. When the final 2 members of the party arrived they were asked to pay the balance before keys were given. They were subsequently charged an extra £5 per room per night.

We asked if we could set up a tab during our stay and were categorically told NO. No cash no drinks.

The rooms are basic and very tired. The cleanliness overall was poor, so much that we had to wash the cups before we could make a cup of tea. The bathroom was full of insects and in the evening when we returned to the room the bathroom was full of cockroaches. Upon discussing this the next morning with the cleaner and requesting insect spray I was told that they normally used a deodorant to spray them. As I only had a roll on I asked if I should roll them to death, but this comment seemed to go over her head. The shower in room 4 was absolutely useless and the water only trickled out. After a few minutes the shower tray filled up. The shower in room 6 did not work at all and room 1 was also useless. Room 3 was the only room that had a decent shower.

The only reason we did not leave this hotel was because we were attending a wedding and could not find alternative accommodation at such short notice.

Please be aware that a 50% deposit and full payment is requested on your arrival so you are tied and cannot leave without losing your money.

For anyone expecting to stay in a beautiful old world pub forget it. This is an Americanised motel attached via a covered walk way that is shabby and has seen better days.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank torquayturk
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed at this family owned b&b a number of times. It is always a pleasure to return. The staff are all very attentive and nothing is a problem. The food, with the new chef in situ is amazing and the atmosphere is very homely. I am always well looked after, especially by the house keeper, Sarah Slight. I will be returning soon for a couple of weeks on business and look forward to another warm welcome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business