“an interesting experience”

Lohengrin Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 42 Restaurants in Remich
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lohengrin fine dining restaurant at Hotel Saint-Nicolas & Spa invites you to a delight of French cuisine with a selection of the finest regional and international wines. Free indoor parking is available upon availability during lunch time. Guests can enjoy complimentary pool access (with own towels) during week days / lunch time.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“an interesting experience”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Everything seems a bit fancy and pretentious; quite expensive as well... however, the owners are very friendly, even though they are a bit clueless (forgot to bring some things; slow). The menu is quite traditional; as someone whose favourite food is Mediterranean vegetarian food, the menu had very little to offer (lots of very rich dishes, lots of meat). However, I was pleasantly surprised by my guinea fowl with spelt and prunes.... really quite delicious, although a bit sweet and stodgy considering the massive portion.
All in all, quite quirky... in the end, not posh at all, but something more rustic, but aspiring to be haute cuisine, and failing. The owners should leave those aspirations (I wasn't impressed with the try-too-hard amuse-bouches) behind and focus on hearty country food (of which the guinea fowl was a perfect example).

• Visited March 2012

Leuven, Belgium
“Worst meals in 2012”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

A friend of mine tried to surprise me with a "gastronomic" weekend in Hotel Saint-Nicolas. What a mistake. Unbelievable! How they call themself gastronomic restaurant, it gives me the creeps. It's just bad cateringstyle cooking where everything! is heated in a steamer without any knowlodge of food. Really frightening!

First night we had a three course disaster, the second night a 5 course torture.

The amuse bouches are made by 5 year old children I think. Things like a slice of smoked duckbreast on top of a slice of cucumber are the standard. An other terrific amuse was an olive with a sardine around it. Mind blowing!

First night we had a kind of cold meat paste to start with some tomatoes and salad. Not terrible, but nothing special. Afterwards we had salmon with a curry saus with some classic vegs and two potatoes. Everything was heated in a steamer and due this the sauce sticked to my plate. The salmon and the vegs were overcooked. It was just a big bowl of slurry. I can't (or my mind really doesn't want to) remember the dessert.

Second night we decided to try it again. Maybe the kitchen had a bad day yesterday? And it was paid for, so we could always leave when we wanted. But what a mistake! The second day was just the same disgrace. We finished the meal but at the end we were laughing out loud because it was so bad.

The meal started with similar lousy amuse bouches as yesterday, followed by a thick slice of foie grass as a starter. The foie was from such an inferior quality (and it was already turning yellow) I didn't even eat half of it. After that we got another fish dish out of the steamer. This time pasta with shrimps (they forgot to peel one) and some redfish. Again horribly overcooked gunge and we got one piece of redfish and one piece of some grey garbagefish. But than, my all time horror: a sorbet and they poured mirabelle (plum brandy) over it. Jesus, who invents filthy things like this?? The smell already made me vomit, I didn't even taste it. My friend tried one spoon, but his face said enough: worst dish ever! They just didn't understand the whole purpose of a sorbet. The main was a tournedos of beef, of really bad quality. They had tried to hide it by trussing the beef with some kitchen rope but forget to remove it all. Together with some steamed vegs. etc. All the same, all the time... This was again cooking at it's poorest. We asked to change our dessert because we were sick of it all and got a moelleux of chocolate. This was the only tasty thing of two nights of terror.

Sorry for the people who like this restaurant, but you know nothing about food. I never thought I had to say this, but is true.

Only one word can difine the service: chaos! 7 people to serve only 40 plates and it was still a mess. Fawlty Towers style! And a special word to the little maitre d'/sommelier: you are the worst. How bad can you do your job? No passion, no vision, aggressive, not even a friendly smile...

As you can guess, I will NEVER go back there. Not even for one million euros. And I suggest everyone does the same. This style of coocking deserves to die!

• Visited October 2011