“Mr”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Gaer Hall

The approach to Gaer Hall.  Footpaths start at the end of our drive and you can walk to the 2 pubs.
The driveway at Gaer Hall with uninterrupted views over the Breidden Hills and Rodney's Pillar Gaer Hall in all its' glory!  Croeso!  Welcome!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Gaer Hall in all its' glory!  Croeso!  Welcome!
Breakfast al fresco, lunch al fresco - bbq later? Perfect for a small wedding party
Our well equipped kitchen comes with a Rayburn and double electric oven and dishwasher
Our glorious kitchen.There's a table and chairs for kids' tea as well as the dining room itself.
The kitchen again, bags of room for the cooks and helpers! There's two fridges and freezers as well.
The ground floor lounge/diner with TV,woodburnerwith view to the hall where we have the pool table.
Ground floor double shown with 2 extra singles to make a family room with cot.
Ground floor single/small double with ensuite, ideal for those with mobility needs.
Ensuite bathroom with shower,part of the ground floor single/small double bedroom.  Bed converts.
Ground floor hall with pool table, cloaks with WC,laundry room and ensuite single/small double room
The Library bathed in sunlight July 2014.  No need for logs for the 2 woodburners this weather!
First floor Master bedroom,ensuite with cast iron roll top bath and shower.  Room for a cot, too.
First floor single/twin bedded room with cloaks - WC and wash hand basin- opposite.
Bunk beds!  Like the single/twin room next door it shares the cloaks, WC and wash hand basin
Second floor double bedroom with views over open countryside.  Can take an extra bed .
Same room from the opposite angle.Snug as a bug. Full oil central heating throughout the Hall..
Second floor double bedroom with fantastic views over Gaer Fawr. Can take an extra bed/cot.
Second floor family bathroom with bath, shower, WC, and wash hand basin.
View from across our hay meadows to Gaer Hall with Gaer Fawr behind.
If we haven't won you over already, maybe the sports area will clinch it!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Shirley B
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Mr”
Reviewed July 30, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Big house, lots of space and nearby walks, amongst other things to do. House was well stocked with equipment, towels etc... Good ground floor en-suite bedroom for grandma & plenty of rooms for the rest of us. Owner Margaret was very helpful.
Our only problem was that some of the beds were a bit small, saying that we are a tall family (5ft 10 to 6ft 5) so thats not unusual.

dametwidd...
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Magnificent!”
Reviewed June 3, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

We booked a very last minute break and found this place quite by chance, we simply needed somewhere big enough for us all to stay, a family of 12 aged between 3 and 62! One of our party was concerned there would not be enough space looking at the pictures, but those pictures did not do this place justice, as it is huge! We had breakfast in the dining lounge each day and dinner on the terrace each night. Every bodys favorite room was the library of course, with its magnificent beams. Tv was mostly watched downstairs for the breakfast news and weather but at night some of us chilled in the library, mostly just watching the horses play in the field beyond. Lots of wildlife to see here, all sorts of birds, and a few cheeky squirrels. The towels were lovely and soft and we had a glass of wine from the bottles that had been left for us by Margaret. Our hostess also allowed us to have some pheasants for our dunner one night, and having never eaten them before, I can tell you, they were delicious. We found the internet was a bit intermittent and Margret said we could use the house access if we needed to whilst it was being sorted out, so that was lovely of her. The furniture was an interesting mix of antique and modern, and each room was a discovery. The only downside was having to leave after such a short stay, but we will be looking for another break at some point in the future and would not hesitate to return to this lovely place.

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Jun 4, 2017
Thank you so much Deborah for leaving a review. It meant a lot to me that you were able to have a great break with your children and grandchildren. I'm especially pleased you were able to help me reduce the contents of the game freezer! We are given far more pheasants than we can possible eat in the season so I'm thrilled you enjoyed them. Wishing you and Les all the very best and I look forward to welcoming you all again at Gaer Hall in the near future.
macchef
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Fab”
Reviewed April 1, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

I stayed here with my girlfriends family over the weekend of 25-28 march and had a great time . 14 of us but with plenty of personal space when you needed it, kids loved the gardens to run about in, the lounge on the middle floor is just awesome.and toasty warm. We had really comfy room with very powerful shower next door. In the kitchen was a arga or something similar which we never used and a electric cooker which just about coped , it's also well stocked with glasses and plates galore, the wifi wasn't the best and there were one or two small issues which one of the group let the owner know about but it wouldn't stop a second visit. It's a lovely area with Welshpool only 10 minutes away which we took advantage of getting the train to Aberystwyth, also nearby kings arms v friendly

Apr 2, 2017
Hi Macchef and thanks for your positive review. So pleased you had a great time at Gaer Hall, Guilsfield and that you had an equally warm reception at our village pub. I'm reliably informed that the imminent arrival of fibre to cabinet in the village will massively improve the wifi on offer. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Margaret ps catch on the Library door is now fixed.
Laura1969...
Milton, Florida
“Fabulous place”
Reviewed March 31, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Loved a weekend away in this fabulous place- very well stocked and tons of room in the most beautiful location. Margaret is Marvellous I left my dancing shoes behind and she very kindly posted them back- she also left us wine and cake- what more could we need!
Smashing place for a large group of people I highly recommend it

Apr 1, 2017
Laura those shoes were something else! Of course I had to post them back to you. That's what I personally love about Gaer Hall, though of course I'm biased.... You can plan an energetic week of extreme sports, turn the music up loud and dance like nobody's watching, or just hang out with family and friends. The place is big enough for everyone to do their own thing whether it's reading a book or unleashing that novel that just has to be written...... Hope to see you all again soon, best Margaret
Goldie848...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great place for a large group to stay.”
Reviewed March 28, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

I booked the hall for a school friend reunion. It was fabulous. Margaret was extremely helpful nothing was too much trouble. Even to the point of sending a left pair of shoes back to their owner. If there was a problem she was there to help but also very mindful of your privacy.
It was a lovely characterful house, great kitchen and dining room to entertain the 12 of us and the upstairs lounge was just stunning.
We went for some lovely walks and the local walk to the ancient burial ground was a fab way to get some exercise.
Would recommend this property to all, especially if you want to come together as a large group/family.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Apr 1, 2017
So pleased you all had a great reunion Rachel. I love it when my guests just relax and enjoy spending quality time with friends and family. Hope to welcome you back in the very near future. Kind regards Margaret
Marazion
Marazion
“A faded beauty”
Reviewed March 2, 2017 for a stay in February 2017
person found this review helpful

To say it is fading is an understatement and whilst the owner is very nice these problems could not really be sorted during our stay You can't fix general neglect.
This is a beautiful faded house it needs a good clean and an update. I know this would cost a great deal.
Firstly the rayburn was not working an engineer came and said it needed a full service but to be honest we did not want this done during our stay because it would have inconvenienced us. Luckily the electric cooker was good.
The internet was not intermittent it was nonexistent I spoke to the owner about this and she admitted that in January she needed to let a guest use her own internet as hers next door works fine. The hub needs relocating as it is not on the main phone inlet. It needs to be housed in a dry place not in the kitchen and the line needs a full test.
The High chair provided for my youngest granddaughter had the straps tied together at the back not clipped in a safe manner. The other high chair had the left hand harness missing.
The house was not adequately cleaned the downstairs shower was filthy with black mould between the doors of the shower.
The large bedroom downstairs had a grubby carpet and one of the upstairs bedrooms had dog hair on the carpet.
All the cabinets had a thick layer of fluff beneath them.
The house was freezing cold on arrival which is unacceptable in February.
We could not all shower in the morning because the hot water tanks are not large enough to give showers for ten people!!! Perhaps if the rayburn was working it would have been different but we were three days into our week long stay when it transpired that it needed a full service.
I have had better showers at all camping sites I have stayed at. In fact all the campsites I have stayed at.
The kitchen sink never ran hot water luckily we had a dishwasher but there were three wheels missing from the bottom basket. This is not hard to sort my husband found a wheel under the kitchen cupboard and popped it back on. It just shows a lack of attention to detail.
A small fault the fridge light didn't work nor did the water dispenser. The reclining seats in the downstairs living room are broken. Why not get them fixed?
The surface in the kitchen are flaking blue paint in the kitchen a bit of a health and safety is the paint lead free I suspect not.
The carpet/flooring in the upstairs lounge is unravelling this is an accident waiting to happen if somebody falls who will be at fault?
The shower in the second floor bathroom needs a new riser fine for me but not so good for my six foot one son in law. The shower head will only work on the bottom as the riser is broken. You can buy new risers on the internet very easily.
The grouting is coming up in the second floor bathroom, sharp on bare feet.
The French doors would not open which could be an issue for a fire exit?
The central heating boiler went out persistently meaning we woke up to a cold house We followed the owner's advice about shutting a certain door but no joy.
The door on the downstairs wood burner needs adjusting because it does not shut very easily. We have a wood burner and this could be dangerous, I don't think our wood burner would get a safety certificate if ours was in this condition.
Few of these problems could have been put right while we were there but many of these things are things that could cause a great deal of problems.
The quality was shocking it was as if we had strayed into a normal family home where things get broken and are left not acceptable in a holiday cottage. The laundry room is an untidy nightmare It was a little as I imagine you could find in an air b and b place! ( I don't know I have always used an agency for all the good it does me)
Bizarrely we had a good time because the whole family were together and we had fun! You can get straight up onto a hill fort and the woods are lovely. Welshpool is a lovely area.
The holiday cottage company didn’t give a fig when I complained so I hope nobody breaks an ankle falling over the unravelling carpet. I also hope the highchairs have now been sorted out. I doubt if the other things will be sorted out but at least I have tried.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Mar 4, 2017
I am not going to dignify this "Fake News" review with a detailed response. Suffice it to say I live next door to Gaer Hall and all my guests will confirm that I am approachable and willing to go the extra mile. If things are not right we get onto them straight away. Why was none of this mentioned at the time?
I could have reassured the family that there is no lead paint, for example. Lead paint was banned in the UK in 1992 and the property erected on site in 1994......... There was nothing wrong with the high chair etc etc. Had there been, I have a spare one I could have brought across.
One has to question the motivation of the reviewer. After the family left we had to replace a set of curtains they had ripped, shampoo the carpet on the landing where there was a large green felt tip stain and in the ground floor bedroom where there were numerous brown stains of unknown origin. The overwhelming majority of our guests leave the property in the same state as they found it, so thankfully, damage like this is rare.

How much more fun would they have had if they hadn't wasted time on finding mythical issues to complain about. Future guests, do please read all our reviews and make your own minds up.
Randombon
“Wow...”
Reviewed December 29, 2016 for a stay in December 2016

Wow....what a place! Have just visited Gaer Hall in between Christmas and NY and I can't rave about this place enough. Such a lovely retreat place with all the family. Would definitely come back....thanks for such a great time.

Dec 30, 2016
Hi Claire and thanks for the rave review! We try our best to make visitors to Gaer Hall and our small country estate feel welcome and able to relax the moment they cross the threshold. Great to have you and your group to stay and hope to see you all again in 2017. Happy New Year to you all, Margaret
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing