“Expensive for what it was”

The Jolly Cricketers
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Seer Green
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Award winning Free house Victorian Pub, situated in the heart of picture postcard Seer Green Village just outside Beaconsfield. Serving Modern British Food alongside five local ales, artisan Ciders,fine Wines and Organic Soft Drinks. We welcome Children and well behaved Dogs on Leads.We have a small Beer Garden and Car Park at the rear of the Pub. Listed in: The Michelin Guide, Michelin Pub Guide,The Good Food Guide, The AA Restaurant Guide, The AA Pub Guide,Alaister Sawdays, Hardens Guide and The Good Beer Guide.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The food was good though expensive and you had to order the veg in addition. We felt it was overpriced and would be better off being more of a pub with pub prices especially as it is the main public house in Seer Green.

1  Thank Heather O
There are newer reviews for The Jolly Cricketers

Reviewed January 27, 2013

One snowy Sunday lunchtime, after a 6 mile walk and looking rather scruffy, we popped into this pub without having made a reservation - and were delighted to be given a table by the very pleasant staff We'd checked another pub in the village and although it looked very nice, it had a printed menu which looked like all the dishes could've been typical frozen fayre whereas the Cricketers looked obviously homemade. It had a charming atmosphere and was nicely laid out. It appears to be divided into two section - one with the pub/bar area and the other primarily for eating (which was akin to eating in a former antiques shop but still very pleasant.) Wonderful food, albeit pricey for a pub but I guess that's what you get for eating in this rather wealthy area! There were also cheaper bar dishes so we went for those: Ploughman's Lunch with good chunks of decent bread, gorgeous thick ham and very good cheese (+ salad & pickled onions) and a CheeseBurger with chips. Both dishes were excellent and served on trendy wooden boards which are very much in evidence at the moment. The table was a bit of a tight squeeze though and for those of us with a slightly larger girth, there's very little chance of being able to squeeze between two tables to sit with your back against the wall, facing the room. A bit embarrassing really. Good meal though and great service.

1  Thank karen1050
Reviewed January 26, 2013

WE have visited this wonderful warm and welcoming pub several times and have had meals on two occasions, one being last night.
We enjoyed our meals tremendously. The food here is tastefully prepared from some rather great chefs as you can tell by the presentation and the flavour. I ordered the Fillet of Black Bream, Brown Shrimps, Spinach, Crushed Ratte Potatoes and Caper Butter which melted in my mouth. and my husband ordered the Fish and Chips which were beautifully done. I had to taste his and I have never had such delicate and light Fish like this before.
I also must mention, every time we visit this little gem the atmosphere is most welcoming and very warm not just from the staff and owners but the customers whom come here seem vry pleasant and friendly. We live in Northampton and my husband works in this area so I visit the Jolly Cricketers from time to time when we get a chance. We have been during the summer months as well as over Christmas and every time we visit it is most enjoyable. The decor is beautiful and if you'd rather sit outside on warm days the garden is lovely. They even provide cozy blankets to take off the chill. Now this is hospitality. Some Sunday afternoons there is live music and a wonderful atmosphere in the pub but if you want to sit then you must get early as the pub fills full when there is live music.
I highly recommend this pub for a most enjoyable experience anytime! Look forward to continuing to visit until my husband no longer works in the area.
Thanks to the Jolly Cricketers for your fine hospitality! ;-)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Was so looking forward to having a meal at the Cricketers, it was a disappointing lunch. We were with friends and the service I have to say was good the young girl was extremely friendly, the food however was poor. I ordered the gnochi with a fancy deep fried crispy brussels sprouts, I know I was asking to be disappointed, the brussels were on a stalk with rock hard sprouts, the burger which is a house speciality was also fairly inedible the other couple had fish and chips, the chips were supposed to be 3 times cooked, they were dark, soggy and certainly not crunchy, as you would expect.
All round our opinion was that the food was not what we expected. Shame!!!!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

A very friendly gastro-pub with local bar on one side and restaurant on the other. Relaxed bistro style, and the food was very good, I nearly put the menu down, to tell the waitress "just bring me what you like " as I liked the sound of everything on the menu. Very good real ales, the service was first class, with nice little touches like coffee in a variety of real china cups. ( Way better than the horrible cups you get in chain coffee houses). Only very slight negative was that I was disappointed with the wine. A wide selection, but overpriced for the quality. However we will deffinitely be going again.

1  Thank golfer12Bedfordshire