“Perfect country pub”

The Black Bear Inn
Cuisines: European, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Black Bear Inn is a small cozy village pub and restaurant in the quiet hamlet of Bettws Newydd on the outskirts of Usk. Our chef Mark Edwards ( a local lad), enjoys including many Welsh foods in his menu, sourced locally. Our wine list and wine are from Fingal Rock, Monmouth and our real ale is Butty Bach. We have an open fire in the bar to welcome you, please call to reserve a table as we only have 8!
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have now visited the Black Bear on 3 or 4 occasions, since first trying it earlier this year. I cannot speak highly enough of it. The food is exceptional; locally sourced produce, perfectly cooked and the menu is often adapted so that it never becomes samey. The atmosphere is fantastic - expect friendly locals and a roaring log fire in the winter as an added bonus! The service is impeccable. My favourite pub and restaurant in S.Wales

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I have been here many times over the past years and when friends from out of town come to stay this is always where we bring them. The landlady / owner is fantastic and always smiles, the pub is small and the better seating area is the the main section of the pub itself ( in front of the open fire) - £25 for a fillet steak is not cheap, but the quality isn't pub food either, it is good restaurant standard. Would highly recommend. This is the pub all of us would love to have as our local. Don't think it is open on Mondays, or Tuesdays. Definately need to book

1  Thank PhilidelphiaStory
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Because I'd be in here every day of the week to eat. Visited with my partner for a birthday treat. He had scallops to start, very nicely presented and well cooked, I had the duck on soda bread with a poached egg. Not sure it worked but nice nonetheless. My partner had the monkfish for main and I had the lamb rump which was the best lamb I have ever eaten, anywhere, ever. I was sadly too full for dessert.

The pub is lovely, just the right mix of olde world charm and modern functionality. The owner goes out of her way to make you welcome. Service is polite, efficient and unobtrusive.

I can't wait to return.

2  Thank Nellicat
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner had a meal to celebrete my birthday it was cooked and presented to perfection. The owner went out of her way to make the evening pleasant and enjoyable. Will be going back in the near future.

1  Thank sparky0956
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I love pubs. That makes me a bit fussy about those that really make me happy. However, in my view, the Black Bear ticks all those boxes that I think make a really great pub. And, in case you were wondering, I was unfortunately driving on the night we visited and so my feelings are entirely unclouded by the warm fuzzy glow of a pint too many!
The atmosphere in the bar was friendly and welcoming. There was a mix of drinkers and those staying to eat. The locals were friendly and the bar staff clear had a good rapport and familiar attitude with customers. The range of beer was excellent for a relativey small pub, and whilst not drinking myself, my friends informed me that they appeared well kept. In addition there was a wide range of ciders that are I had not previously come across.
The food was excellent and to a standard that one might expect from a much larger/flasher restaurant or "gastro-pub". The dishes were varied and well put together. There is clearly some considereable skill in the kitchen but there was none of the pretentious "ego" on the plates that might suggest a chef eager to show off. Really good food from start to finish. Oh, and one other thing.... the prices are much more modest than the food would suggest - incredibly good valuef or the standard of cooking.
The pub itself is a lovely size - quite small in reality and felt nicely intimate. However, despite that, we never felt cramped or hassled. There is some lovely quirky decor (look our for the modern Welsh slate art on the walls) and you are left with the feeling that there is some real Heart in the place.
My only regret is that I don't live in the village - Enjoy!