“Super lunch!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

In the middle of nowhere this place served us two top flight sandwich lunches. OK sandwiches are fairly easy to make but are so often poor. These were great and came with lovely salad accompaniment. Good tea as well. We saw other food served and the roast Sunday lunches looked great. Great value and a terrific farm shop to browse as well. Well worth the drive but it was busy and whilst we got in I suspect that booking may be advisable.

Lauren131992, Public Relations Manager at Mackenzies Yorkshire Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

We are so glad that you liked your sandwiches. If you do call in for Sunday lunch be sure to bring a big appetite with you!
Thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Called in last Sunday following a drive around the dales. We explained we only wanted a coffee and cake and despite being busy we were told this was okay,shown to a table and given the appropriate menu. We then waited and waited and waited to have our order taken. After about 20 minutes my husband had to call out to the waitress who had just taken an order from the table opposite who had actually sat down well after us. Order taken we duly sat there another 40 minutes waiting for our coffee and cakes and during this time two other tables seated after us received hot meals. At one point we were told our drinks were on the way but nothing appeared so after nearly an hour sat at a table with nothing we walked out feeling extremely disappointed and upset by this experience. I know the place was short staffed but the service we received or sorry LACK OF SERVICE means we will probably never return but I don't suppose coffee and cake customers will be missed anyway.

2  Thank Alison H
Lauren131992, Public Relations Manager at Mackenzies Yorkshire Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your review and I am very sorry to hear that your experience wasn't as you would have hoped.
We take all problems that customer register with us very seriously. I am currently in the process of following up all of your comments with our restaurant team to find out where any problems may have occurred.
I do hope that this hasn't deterred you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This was an late decision to dine and we only booked a few days before,but were able to secure a table for 4 at a time to suit us.We arrived 15 minutes early,but were shown straight to our table. Due to it being Sunday the restaurant was very busy,and we were also informed staff had not turned up, which left only two waitresses to serve. This obviously caused long delays between courses,and we found we had to keep calling to order,fortunately we were not in a hurry. I would add our previous lunches had been midweek,with no problems. We jointly decided to have two courses, ie; a main and desert. The men had beef,which was ordered well done,but arrived very pink,so was returned,after being further cooked,unfortunately whilst looking better,was very chewy.One lady had Pork,and this was perfect,and the other lady had Salmon,which was also perfect.I would add that the vegetables were plentiful and hot; and the plates were hot,which kept the food hot. Three of us had Jam Roly Poly and custard,which was excellent, but could have been larger portions,the other person had a cold desert which was fine.We will certainly be visiting again, but will always make it midweek.We are happy to recommend,as this was the first time the food was not quite 100%.

Good Afternoon,

I am sorry to hear that your visit this time wasn't quite 100% however thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I have addressed your comments with our restaurant team in order to ensure that we are consistently serving top quality food.
I am really glad to hear that this hasn't deterred you from coming to visit us again. Please do write us another review in the future :-)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

In 1998 McKenzies Yorkshire Smokehouse with much aplomb heralded the opening of their restaurant and my wife and I were one of the first to visit. As it was early morning we had the Full Yorkshire Breakfast.
This was I must say one of the best full breakfasts we have had. We did in 1998 visit the restaurant on a number of occasions for lunch and were completly satisfied with the meals we had chosen.
From 1998 we have only visited McKenzies for morning coffee.

Today we visited and I decided to have the Full Yorkshire Breakfast and my wife decided on the Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs.

After ordering some little time later the waitress came back and asked how I wanted my eggs with the Full Yorkshire Breakfast--poached or scrambled. I replied fried (which is somewhat traditional with a full breakfast) the waitress appeared somewhat taken a back with my choice.

The breakfasts arrived after somewhat of a wait, the Full Yorkshire Breakfast consisted of the following -

One Large Mushroom.
One Medium Tomato.
One Sausage.
One Half Link of Black Pudding
Two Rashers of Bacon.
Two Fried Eggs.
Two half slices of White Toast.

The Mushroom was great hot and tasty.
The Tomato was hot and OK.
The Sausage was just warm but very hard.
The Black Pudding Skin was Cremated and the cutlery supplied could not cut through the skin easily.
The Bacon was of great taste but cold.
The Fried Eggs, one was cooked hard the other was under cooked both were just warm.
The Toast was cold and was very hard.
I ate the lot to be able to write this review.

My wife's Scrambled Egg was just warm and solid, you could cut the egg into slices, my wife ate the Smoked Salmon and left the egg.

In all a bad choice for us to change from just morning coffee. We will still have our morning coffee there as we do use the shop on a regular basis, but nothing else.I suppose the original chef has departed, Pity !

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your experience at Mackenzies.

I have followed this up with our restaurant team and was notified that you hadn't addressed the situation at the time. If you had done so our restaurant team would have been more than happy to address the situation.

Our restaurant team has strived to achieve a consistently high standard right from our launch in January 2008 and I am sorry to hear that this did not meet such standards.
I hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Been here for coffee several times and it is always good. Have been meaning to lunch here for ages and have now finally managed it. Totally lived up to expectations, the food was well cooked and plentiful. 3 types of smoked salmon for starters highly recommended, the mushroom and blue cheese tart was also good. Slow cooked pork belly was very tastey and the beef Wellington was excellent. The meat was tender and succulent plenty of seasonal veg. Bit of a mix up over our pudding order but eventually got trifle, choc mousse and Eccles cake with cheese and fig. They were OK but not as good as the rest of the meal, maybe because we had to wait so long? I would however recommend the flapjack as have had that on previous visits and it has always been good. Staff were friendly but seemed a bit stressed as it was v busy.

1  Thank JWMW101
Lauren131992, Public Relations Manager at Mackenzies Yorkshire Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Hello there,

I just want to say a quick thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. I am sorry to hear that you had a bit of a wait we are currently running around with the Christmas rush but we are trying to make sure that during busy times people won't have to wait as long for their food. I am so glad that you enjoyed your starters and main courses and we are looking into ways to improve the quality of our desserts.
If you do come to visit us again please do write us another review.

Many Thanks,