“Pleasant Evening” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Meet my daughter here last night for a meal at her recommendation as she lives in the village and had been before. Was a little apprehensive due to the last reviews. My daughter was shocked by the reviews as she had always enjoyed the meals she had eaten here. Anyway as it turned out we need not have worried. The meal was excellent we all enjoyed what we ordered. Staff were pleasant and friendly. The pub was clean and tidy as was the garden where we sat all evening. Food arrived quickly did not have to wait long. Pub was busy and there were only 2 staff and apparently only one chef, but you would not have known this from the service. The chef needs commending on how quickly he got the orders out. The only negative was they were a bit slow at clearing the tables in the garden. But overall we felt it was very good and are a little surprised by the reviews below. I would recommend people give it a try.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bob W

Oxfordshire
“Shocking service and attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Been to the pub to eat on may occasions so went back this evening to celebrate my wife's birthday. What a mistake. The menu left a lot to be desired and the service was shocking. My wife's food was luke warm and my father-in-laws food was over-cooked. There was no attentive service and no offer of condiments with the meal. People who arrived and ordered after us were served with their meals long before us. There was no table service for drinks. When I tried to make representations to the manager (a women I had not seen at the pub before) she would not let me get a word in edgeways and when I did get to talk she was totally dismissive. I have been going to The Chequers for the past fifteen years but will not go again. I would advise people to think twice before going. There are better places which offer better value for money. Clearly the manager does not care about the customers!

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MatureBill
Hythe, United Kingdom
“Shut at 6”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Closes at 6closesat 6 still closes at 6 closed at 6 does not open at 6 but closed at 6 no serving at 6 no food or drink after 6 do not cone here at 6 shut closed at 6 not open at 6

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Annepaull
“What a shame ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Went with my husband as The Black Sheep which is our local was closed for a function. Nice enough starter but everything appeared to be out of a jar or packet so that's not difficult. Ordered the fish and chips as had had this a few years before. Soggy fish, hard chips, over cooked peas. Pleasant but not professional service. Won't walk back.

1 Thank Sarah G
Bicester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Shocking service, I'll never go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We arrived and went to the bar to get a drink, there was one person serving and one person writing on the specials board. The bar man seemed to be dealing with one customer who he spent 15 minutes with, I was waiting with one other person while out with my sister & 2 nieces. 15 minutes later the bar man decided to serve the other person waiting. Finally go round to me, no apology for the wait and then he told me he must serve a table in the corner as they have been waiting half an hour and had got no service yet!!!

The menu states you must order at the bar???

Why did this other person have to write the special board when customers were waiting.

Decided to walk out and never go back. Just poor service. Terrible.

Visited June 2014