“Exceptional history and hospitality”
Review of The Manor

The Manor
Houston, Texas
“Exceptional history and hospitality”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Manor and can wholeheartedly recommend it as a base for visits to the Cotswolds and Bicester Village as well as Oxford. The house is authentically historic and the recent refurbishment has transformed it into a luxury destination in its own right. Our room was spacious, attractively-decorated and tranquil. The staff are intelligently-helpful, taking their cue from General Manager Christian who has a wealth of big-name hotel experience. It's said that a Michelin-starred chef will be arriving soon so we can expect that the Manor will continue to build on its reputation for classy rural hospitality. A great choice now - and one to watch for the future.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a great view from the front of the house.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Serbian first
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My daughter had a surprise birthday party last night arranged by her husband,it was a very special as her wedding was at Weston Manor 11 years ago.The staff were excellent,attentive and also made everyone feel as though they were special.The buffet was very good and even though my son in law booked it for 40 and 50 turned up there wasn't a problem and the staff quickly found another table like magic and laid it up very quickly.lots of happy memories of the wedding and now we have more memories of another event there.Thank you Weston staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Like many reviewers here we stayed as a result of the Groupon offer. As it was an anniversary treat I booked and paid for an upgrade to a 4 poster room (room 7). However, on check in, we were offered a room in the coach house, the upgrade had not been picked up. The Operations Manager soon sorted us out and we went to the snug for our prebooked and quite acceptable afternoon tea, where we were joined by Holly, the adorable hotel dog. A very nice touch was a complimentary glass of bubbly each to celebrate our anniversary and, I'm sure, to overcome the check in issue. It was a nice and well received gesture. He also wanted to reassure us that however we came to be staying at the hotel all guests were treated equally well. Something they went on to prove.
Being sat next to reception for 2 hours we did get to hear a few check in conversations and telephone calls. It is clear there are issues around managing expectations for Groupon bookings. To be fair to the hotel, this is as much as result of the hard sell of Groupon more than anything else. We have experienced this elsewhere before. As I anticipated, with confusion at check in there was an inevitable query with the bill at the end but resolved quickly and to my satisfaction.
So, once settled in I have to say the experience was first class. The room (room 7) was big, traditional, comfy bed and befitting an old manor complete with squeaky floorboards! We did have a couple of small suggestions for the room on departure and these were received with good grace.
The highlights for us were
1)the quality of the food - there has been some negative feedback on the size of portions but, quite frankly they must have come from people who have limited or no experience of a tasting menu - great quality produce, understood by staff
2) the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. From briefly mentioning a preference during afternoon tea to this being picked up at dinner. For being welcomed by name by the restaurant manager who hadnt met us before. For the courtesy and knowledge of the waiting staff at dinner and afternoon tea.
The Operations Manager was attentive throughout our stay - not just to us but other guests too.
So, overcome the bookings issues and you will be dleighted, as we were. Thank you.

Room Tip: Once the refurb is completed I'm sure all rooms will be excellent. The coach house is a few step...
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were looking for a quiet country hotel after a busy day in Bicester, it also happened to be an Anniversary, and what a find Weston Manor turned out to be.
Excellent service, great welcome and facilities and excellent food.
We will definitely return when in the area.

Room Tip: Room 7. Quiet, spacious and a four poster bed.
5 Thank Trevor R
Birmingham
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The traveller's tips on TripAdvisor suggest that you book a room in the main, not the coach house annexe, building so I did. Upon arrival I was directed to the coach house, I queried this but was told my room had been "misallocated" as there was a wedding on. Customer service was peremptory and mechanical, there was no recognition of my disappointment and the apology was disinterested and frankly dismissive. The coach house is internally devoid of character and the rooms are small and poorly equipped. No tea and coffee making facilities unless you ask for them and no iron and ironing board. Dated bathroom. Very little privacy.

The main building is different: characterful and very old. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the bedrooms.

There certainly was a wedding on. It overwhelmed the place. Those guests not at the wedding reception who wanted to eat were parked in a room which I assume is not the main dining room. It was OK but lacked atmosphere. The food was OK but very overpriced and the menu is inaccurate: it doesn't include things on the menu that end up on your plate so do ask the staff. I had vanilla ice cream with my dessert, I didn't ask for it and didn't want it; with a hot dessert in a hot bowl it quickly inundates the dessert which is annoying. The restaurant staff were helpful but a "discretionary" service charge is added to the hotel bill on checkout. DO NOT do this: guests should have the option of paying service charge when they are in the restaurant. No-one really feels like demanding their account is adjusted on checkout with a queue behind them.

Reasonable variety at breakfast although be aware that if you book inclusive of breakfast it's only the full English or the continental that are included. the al a carte items, which are far more interesting, are extra.

I was asked at checkout if I'd enjoyed my stay. I commented that I was disappointed with the room allocation and my disappointment was ignored (again). I queried whether the rooms in the coach house were cheaper than these in the main building; I was told they weren't. They damn well should be as they are poor value for the money.

Another potentially very good hotel falling short as a consequence of a disregard for customer service. No effort was made to compensate for the "misallocated" room, I was made to feel like a nuisance for raising it as a problem. There are plenty of better hotels in Oxford and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building: the coach house is a very poor second best. If you need Interne...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank gribblewok
Christian K, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for bringing these points to my attention and apologize for not responding earlier. We do pride ourselves on aiming to deliver a fantastic experience and when we do get it wrong, it is how your turn a negative journey into a positive one that really shows the qualities of our training and individual ownership incentives. I am saddened that we have failed to live up to your expectations on this occasion and welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter with you in person, at your convenience.

Oxford
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here on business in 2012 and reviewed the hotel as a little tired on the inside, but since then a great deal has been done to bring the inside up to the same standard as the outside and the service remains outstanding. Great care and attention paid to us and friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank philcollins50
Christian K, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your fantastic review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us. You will also be pleased to know that we are currently strengthening the team even further both front of house and in the kitchen, ensuring that we continue to go from strength to strength. I welcome the opportunity to show you our on-going progress on your next visit and please keep an eye on our website for Seasonal News and activities.

Tadley
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the manor for one night on a groupon deal, I did pay extra for an upgrade and after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor I e-mailed reception to ask for a refurbished room and received a prompt reply saying that I would be in a refurbished room. On arrival we was in fact shown to a room in the coach house which has yet to be refurbished. I said I was not happy about this and was offered a junior suite for another £25, we took the offer and were put in room 10 on the 2nd floor of the main house. The room was spacious, lovely view down the drive and wonderful comfy bed, this room too needs refurbishing but it was a far better alternative to room 30.One thing I found irritating was there were not any hooks on the door in the bathroom so nowhere to hang robes etc, a bit picky maybe. The food was something else, We had the 5 course tasting menu and it was delicious. Small portions to the eye but I think it was more than enough and so well put together, my favourite was the wild mushroom soup with truffle shavings and parmesan crisps, maybe the beef could have done with a bit more jus, i would come back for the food alone. The staff were excellent and professional and friendly and in the restaurant you never had to catch anyones attention as they were always there but not at all intrusive.Breakfast as good, only thing was continental breakfast included and we assumed it would be full english. I think this could be down to groupon though. Would I stay again? absolutely I would, though I would be more inclined to go through the hotel and pay a little more and look forward to when the whole hotel has been refurbished.

1 Thank piplie
Dear Guest.

Christian Kaberg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston on the Green
Macdonald Bear Hotel
Macdonald Randolph Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kirtlington

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!