“Disappointing”
Review of The Manor

The Manor
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The traveller's tips on TripAdvisor suggest that you book a room in the main, not the coach house annexe, building so I did. Upon arrival I was directed to the coach house, I queried this but was told my room had been "misallocated" as there was a wedding on. Customer service was peremptory and mechanical, there was no recognition of my disappointment and the apology was disinterested and frankly dismissive. The coach house is internally devoid of character and the rooms are small and poorly equipped. No tea and coffee making facilities unless you ask for them and no iron and ironing board. Dated bathroom. Very little privacy.

The main building is different: characterful and very old. Unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the bedrooms.

There certainly was a wedding on. It overwhelmed the place. Those guests not at the wedding reception who wanted to eat were parked in a room which I assume is not the main dining room. It was OK but lacked atmosphere. The food was OK but very overpriced and the menu is inaccurate: it doesn't include things on the menu that end up on your plate so do ask the staff. I had vanilla ice cream with my dessert, I didn't ask for it and didn't want it; with a hot dessert in a hot bowl it quickly inundates the dessert which is annoying. The restaurant staff were helpful but a "discretionary" service charge is added to the hotel bill on checkout. DO NOT do this: guests should have the option of paying service charge when they are in the restaurant. No-one really feels like demanding their account is adjusted on checkout with a queue behind them.

Reasonable variety at breakfast although be aware that if you book inclusive of breakfast it's only the full English or the continental that are included. the al a carte items, which are far more interesting, are extra.

I was asked at checkout if I'd enjoyed my stay. I commented that I was disappointed with the room allocation and my disappointment was ignored (again). I queried whether the rooms in the coach house were cheaper than these in the main building; I was told they weren't. They damn well should be as they are poor value for the money.

Another potentially very good hotel falling short as a consequence of a disregard for customer service. No effort was made to compensate for the "misallocated" room, I was made to feel like a nuisance for raising it as a problem. There are plenty of better hotels in Oxford and the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building: the coach house is a very poor second best. If you need Interne...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank gribblewok
Christian K, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you for bringing these points to my attention and apologize for not responding earlier. We do pride ourselves on aiming to deliver a fantastic experience and when we do get it wrong, it is how your turn a negative journey into a positive one that really shows the qualities of our training and individual ownership incentives. I am saddened that we have failed to live up to your expectations on this occasion and welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter with you in person, at your convenience.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed here on business in 2012 and reviewed the hotel as a little tired on the inside, but since then a great deal has been done to bring the inside up to the same standard as the outside and the service remains outstanding. Great care and attention paid to us and friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank philcollins50
Christian K, General Manager at The Manor, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your fantastic review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us. You will also be pleased to know that we are currently strengthening the team even further both front of house and in the kitchen, ensuring that we continue to go from strength to strength. I welcome the opportunity to show you our on-going progress on your next visit and please keep an eye on our website for Seasonal News and activities.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the manor for one night on a groupon deal, I did pay extra for an upgrade and after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor I e-mailed reception to ask for a refurbished room and received a prompt reply saying that I would be in a refurbished room. On arrival we was in fact shown to a room in the coach house which has yet to be refurbished. I said I was not happy about this and was offered a junior suite for another £25, we took the offer and were put in room 10 on the 2nd floor of the main house. The room was spacious, lovely view down the drive and wonderful comfy bed, this room too needs refurbishing but it was a far better alternative to room 30.One thing I found irritating was there were not any hooks on the door in the bathroom so nowhere to hang robes etc, a bit picky maybe. The food was something else, We had the 5 course tasting menu and it was delicious. Small portions to the eye but I think it was more than enough and so well put together, my favourite was the wild mushroom soup with truffle shavings and parmesan crisps, maybe the beef could have done with a bit more jus, i would come back for the food alone. The staff were excellent and professional and friendly and in the restaurant you never had to catch anyones attention as they were always there but not at all intrusive.Breakfast as good, only thing was continental breakfast included and we assumed it would be full english. I think this could be down to groupon though. Would I stay again? absolutely I would, though I would be more inclined to go through the hotel and pay a little more and look forward to when the whole hotel has been refurbished.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank piplie

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a groupon deal for bed, breakfast and tasting menu. We were bowled over as we arrived along the sweeping drive with the imposing manor house in front of us. Beautiful building, amazing grounds with friendly sheep to greet us. A roaring fire in the main reception hall as we went into the manor house was a lovely greeting.

The service was fantastic attention to detail . We were given a room in the coach house which was not in the main house. The room was very dated and dark. We asked Emma on reception if it would be possible to have a room in the main house, she very kindly relocated Us to room 2 in the main house with no trouble af all. The hotel is being renovated and we were lucky enough to be given a refurbished room. Absolutely gorgeous room. Sumptuous furnishings. The only thing missing was tea and coffee making facilities, would have expected that in a hotel of this class.

At dinner the great service continued with micheal ( head waiter or manager). When we booked our stay we mentioned I was expecting and couldnt eat certain foods. This information must have been past onto the restaurant as when micheal gave us the taster menu he said congratulations and went on to explain they had adapted the menu for me!! The same happened at breakfast. The service here is fantastic and it's the attention to detail that makes it so special. Will be going back in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed here on Feb 28 as part of the ubiquitous Groupon deal. For under £100, we had the room, 5 course dinner and continental breakfast. Absolutely superb value when you factor in the lovely setting!

The house was truly impressive and we did not mind the signs it was being refurbished (utility tools and workers, plastic rug runners) as I'm sure the new management are only trying to make it top quality. The entrance hall with the fireplace was cozy, the snug and breakfast room were elegant and the staircase and Great Hall imposing. We were in room 8 in the Main House which was not refurbished but had a nice view and large bathroom. I think this was a better our time than staying in the coach house which is the norm for the offer.

We had per dinner drinks in Bertie's Bar, and our bartender who usually looks after the kitchen was so friendly and regaled us with stories of the manor and the change with the new owners. He was very knowledgable about the wine and even the choice of gin. We had a nice, quiet dinner dinner in the Great Hall. The food was not 5 star quality" but again great value for the offer.

Breakfast was delicious; the continental breakfast was more than enough, though my husband ordered a cooked meal which was considerable. I regretted we didn't have more time to stay and enjoy the gardens or facilities.

My only complaint and reason I didn't give 5 stars is that we had two problems with our bill. They charged us £45 for a bottle of champagne, though took it off when they realised it was for another room and charged in error. The head waiter then insisted the rest of the bill was correct. 3 days later I rechecked the bill and saw they charged too much for breakfast. I called and they adjusted the bill immediately, but it was disconcerting/mildly annoying that I had to spot two mistakes myself, otherwise we would have overpaid by £69!

But we would definitelyare turn to this lovely hotel, though stay in a refurbished room.The proximity to Bicester Village was a big plus.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the main house, refurbished room is even better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place is under new ownership and has been substantially refurbished, with sumptuous linens and attention to detail. Well, mostly: my room had clearly been so recently redecorated that it still smelt slightly of fresh paint and they'd forgotten to connect the wall-mounted flat screen TV to the aerial, the cable was missing. Matters not, the rest made up for it. From the blazing log fire in the entrance through to the fab choice of whiskey in the bar this place knows what boxes to tick. The Manor, part of which dates back to pre-1066, is quite simply a special treat. Dinner was served without fanfare, promptly and was wonderful, my braised beef falling apart to the touch of the fork and all washed down with a delicious claret. What's not to like? See tip.

Room Tip: I was in Room 14, up a narrow back staircase: not recommended if you need WiFi (I could not get a co...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We only went there for a meal on mothers day and it was later in the evening 8.00pm but we were disappointed by there fine dining menu. I think it was probably that they had been busy earlier in the day and some of the plates had been prepped earlier and not as fresh with the fancy dressing on the plates as it might have been earlier.
The wine we chose was a Cabernet sauvignon and good and for £24 a bottle we thought that it was good value. It happens to be the cheapest on the wine list

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RichardSFC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston on the Green
Bignell Park Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
The Dashwood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kirtlington
De Vere Oxford Thames

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!