“Lovely old pub, great staff, great food.”
Review of The Oxford Arms

The Oxford Arms
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Oxford Arms is an award-winning dining pub in Oxfordshire run by Chef Patron Bryn Jones since 2003. We are situated 10 mins from Bicester Shopping Village. Reservations are highly recommended. Gluten free and vegetarian menus available.
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We visited the Oxford Arms yesterday for lunch. We had never been to Kirklington before. We were visiting a local stud farm in the afternoon and decided to make a day of it and have lunch beforehand.

The Oxford Arms doesn't open til 12 noon so, we decided to have a walk around the village. We had spotted another pub as we were driving through so, walked to that to have a look around and view the menu. We decided that we preferred the Oxford Arms so went back there and we were very pleased we did. We were greeted by a lovely cheerful friendly lady who allowed us, as it was a beautiful sunny day, to eat in the garden outside of the external eating area. The food was excellent, I had the lemon sole (one of the specials) as they had run out of the chilli crab linguine (another special) which was my first choice (my husband had the last one!!) and I was so pleased I did (having said his linguine was delicious too). The fish was cooked beautifully and the accompanying vegetables were really tasty. We didn't have a sweet as we were too full but finished with a cappuccino which came with a home made shortbread biscuit. The bill was also very reasonable. All in all great quality, well cooked food at a reasonable price, we will certainly return. I haven't commented on the romance or special occasion as wasn't relevant in our case.

2  Thank Scotty070
TheOxfordArms, Owner at The Oxford Arms, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Scotty070,

Thank you very much for leaving this review! We shared your lovely comments among our Team. We hope to welcome you again soon and especially during such wonderful weather as we are now using all herbs, salads, fruits from our Kitchen Garden.

Bryn Jones and the Team of The Oxford Arms
P.S. We'll make more Crab & Chilli Linguine next time:-).

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Recently had a family dinner in the Oxford Arms and had a great night out. Following a lovely welcome , the service was excellent and the food was very much enjoyed by all of us. It might seem unfair to single out 1 staff member but if I were going to open a restaurant in Oxfordshire I would kidnap Becky.

1  Thank Bill P
TheOxfordArms, Owner at The Oxford Arms, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Bill P,

We were delighted to receive such great feedback about your dining experience and even more so to read the lovely comments about our Team and especially Beccy (she is superstar)!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,
Bryn Jones

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Went for my mums birthday celebration, so a reasonably large group if 8 adults and 5 children. Treated very well and the sizeable group didn't cause a problem. Very good food and a lovely setting. We'll recommended.

1  Thank SteveHH1974

Dear SteveHH1974,

We are so pleased to read you kind review!
We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back to the Oxford Arms!

Thank you very much again!

Best regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was recently staying near Oxford on a business trip and a colleague recommended an evening meal at the Oxford Arms as he'd eaten there previously. It was a bright and sunny early summer evening and at first appearance, the pub resonated of everything great of a typical english country pub! Upon entering, the feel and appearance was everything I expected with exposed beams and enormous inglenook fireplace with stove and a stone floor, it was like being taken back 100 years.
We made a selection from the menu and as a group of six, it was a varied choice.
We were made very welcome and it was great to sample the local beers although a couple of the more discerning among the group chose wine which they were very complimentary about. There was no waiting around, the service was great and nothing was too much trouble.
It was my first experience of gazpacho which was interesting and something I will try again. My mains choice was sirloin steak which was outstanding and the chips were great too. I even managed a dessert as it would have been rude not to!!
Overall, it was a fantastic experience from start to finish, the staff were attentive and their priority was our satisfaction.
Our group of six left having had a fantastic evening and I would thoroughly recommend it for the food, staff, ambiance and thoroughly nice place that it is! Give it a try you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank KJM511
TheOxfordArms, Owner at The Oxford Arms, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear KJM511,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! Hopefully the weather will soon approve and we'll make chilled Gazpacho and serve it to you in the garden with warm afternoon sunshine.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We went for lunch at the Oxford Arms today and were thrilled with our second visit. The food was superb beautifully served and very imaginative. The pub was warm and welcoming. I had the potted shrimps which were delicious and my husband had an asparagus tartlet which was wonderfully light and served with a nicely dressed salad. The cold roast beef was pink and served with a lovely salad and string chips. My mushroom pasta dish was probably the best I have ever had.
Thank you so much for maintaining your wonderful standard of cuisine. We will be back.
Averil Wilkinson M.B.E.

1  Thank MrsAWilkinsonMBE

Dear Averil,

Glad you enjoyed your return visit. The second album is always the most difficult:-) and we work very hard to maintain our standards.

Thank you very much!