“Poor Management”

GreenLeadersGold level
st louis
“Poor Management”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I was not impressed with the hotel or the Viking Lounge (Generations). I observed the Hotel manager/owner was argumentive, intimidating, verbally abusive to a female customer and her party in the Viking Lounge (Generations). He grabbed her arm on several occasions, pushed her, and used profanity to this customer and her party. When she left several approximately 10 other customers left with her. I would not recommend this establishment, hotel or lounge to anyone. There is serious problems with the Hotel manager/owner and his staff. I have found out that this owner has had prior confrontations with customers. I would not recommend this establishment.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank bcsoccergrl
clarice01, Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
The correct info is, this former customer tried to sneak in the bar and not pay a cover charge. The same customer would complain about drinks that were served to her, that they didn't have enough alcohol in the drink.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
St. Louis
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I ran my second convention at the Holiday Inn Southwest-Viking Conference Center in November 2009. My first was in March 2008. Their level of service and overall willingness to work with conventions and conferences is absolutely unparalleled. Unfortunately, the space does not rent cheaply, and the main events room is too small for some of our groups, so I can't afford to hold every event here.

Toni was my sales & catering rep this time. She is very nice. Last year I worked with Mark who has since left the hotel. Toni had regular meetings with us and always called me back quickly when she wasn't in. Once, when I went a couple of months without talking to her, she called me to see if I needed to meet. During the convention, she was at the hotel most of the time, seeing what else she could do for us. That's the general attitude of the staff there, a willingness to do anything to make your event work.

This event was one with a rather weird subject, but the hotel staff worked with me to make sure that our group was treated respectfully even though we weren't your usual wedding or business conference. The manager even participated in some of our events!

The hotel is conveniently located at the intersection of many major roads in St. Louis. It has a big parking lot and lots of rooms. The layout of the convention area itself is consolidated and easy to navigate. The rooms are all proportioned well for conventions up to 700 people. We once had 1500 in there, but that was a mess. I'd recommend keeping your group under 1000 and preferably in the 400-700 range at this hotel. The concourse is what makes conventions there so great. It's like having your own convention lobby, and you can put tables down the hall for extra vendor space.

The rooms themselves are comfortable but a little small. They aren't tiny by any means, though.

The suites have a nice couch in them and make good hospitality or party rooms. This hotel is open to room parties as long as you tell them what you intend to do.

Best parts: great staff willing to work with us on everything, very beautiful pool, lots of free parking, separate entrances for convention area and restaurant/bar

Improvements the hotel could make: a better business center would be nice. If they put in a second computer and got newer monitors, it would make the business center more welcoming.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank wraithofmusic
Minneapolis
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My family and I checked out in the morning. After leaving the motel my ten year old son told me that he left his wallet in the room. I phoned immediately and asked the staff to retrieve the wallet. We returned within 15 minutes of departing. I walked in and was handed the wallet. All of the money was missing ($30). I expressed my concern with management that it appeared that their staff was potentially at fault. They were dismissive and insulting. Stay at your own risk.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Bralil
nzammito, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
While we appreciate the comments expressed in this review and strive to provide the safest and most secure facilities for our valued guests we cannot be held responsible for lost or missing property. We offer safe deposit boxes at no charge for use by our guests to secure their valuables. This is standard policy in the hotel industry. This incident was investigated more than once and no evidence of missing money was ever discovered.

Travelers are raving about these Sunset Hills hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed November 28, 2009

Hey for $54.00 (Hotwire) it's a great value. Good bed, clean room, OK breakfast (aren't they all about the same in these types of hotels). Stopped for just one night.

• Stayed November 2009
NORTHWEST CHICAGOLAND
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Won this room on Priceline name your own price for $45 plus tax and fees, so the place was great for the price. I had just stayed at a really crappy place in rural Missouri before coming here for a few nights, so this place looked really good to me. Staff was helpful and friendly. My room was clean, no smells, nice bed, nice pillows, small coffee pot in room. Old small elevators.
I stayed 2 weeks in this motel 25 years ago and never had any problems then either. It was just Viking Lodge back then, not a Holiday Inn.
They advertise a nice breakfast, but it is not free. The location is great. It's about halfway between Six Flags and Downtown St. Louis just off I-44. Nice area with lots of shopping and good food nearby, 24 hour steak and shake next door. Lion's Choice across street can't be beat

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed September 25, 2009

We stayed overnight at this hotel, about 15 minutes southwest of St. Louis. The rooms were clean and tidy. The bathrooms were nice, a bit small, but they were nice nonetheless. It was a busy lobby in the afternoon, but it was well managed. A nice place to escape the downtown area of St. Louis but close enough to keep the city atmosphere. A nice suburban hotel.
The only complaint I have is that air conditioning unit in our room was loud, and it kicked on and off constantly throughout the night no matter the setting we had it on.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Waalwijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Stayed here for one night. Booked through priceline for $44 ex tax, which is just ok for the hotel. Wouldn't want to stay here more than a night. Hotel needs some updating. Had a problem with the toilet in my room, was quickly given another room, A Target and a Wallmart are 2 minutes drive from the hotel. There are some chain restaurants within walking distance. Fitness looks old and tired but does the job. Hotel has both indoor and outdoor pool. Wifi worked well throughout the hotel and is complimentary.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Holiday Inn St. Louis - South County Center

Been to Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66? Share your experiences!