“Needs Upgrading”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
Newton, NJ
“Needs Upgrading”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I stayed here for a few nights with the family while traveling across the south and midwest. My initial impression was that the hotel looked old and in need of upgrading. The initial room they gave us was located along a busy corrider near the pool, which meant people would constantly be walking by your room. It had not been well cleaned and there were strange looking pipes on the floor. I requested a different room. The clerk appeared a little annoyed, but at least he gave me something a little better. The breakfast was actually pretty decent and that particular area of St. Louis was nice. It was okay for a few nights but next time I would go somewhere else.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Needs Upgrading
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Blue Springs, Missouri
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We went on a family vacation, our only for this summer. We thought this would be a great place to stay. From the photos on the website, it looks like a very nice and clean hotel. To our surprise, when we arrived, from the parking lot to the swimming pool to the hotel room even the bathroom...it was filthy. We had booked two rooms. In both bathrooms, there was hair in the shower and on the floors. The room had a terrible smell. There were 3 huge semi trailers in the parking lot so very hard to find a spot. The staff, with the exception of one very nice lady, were all very rude to us and we did not feel welcomed at all. Our first morning there, we woke up to eat our "Hot" breakfast and there were no biscuits and gravy or bagels left at 9am. No fruit left. The juice was warm. The only thing that was left was the cereal, muffins and a few waffles. And it ends at 10!?!? We decided to make the best of what we had and have a good time on our vacation. Our room was not cleaned well the 3 days we stayed. We had to bring our dirty towels up to the front desk just to get them out of our room because they are extremely small!!. We were wishing that we could have a relaxing swim...there was trash all over, even by the kiddie pool. There was a mountain of dirty towels that smelled really bad. The multi purpose room was not open to play volleyball or soccer. The beds in the rooms are NOT queen, like it said on hotels.com, they are very small. I would not even say that they are full. When we finally got to check out, we had a coupon that we were told we could use for both rooms...the manager argued for 30 minutes and was extremely hateful. We really don't like to complain and are not hard to please, but this was by far the most mis represented hotel we have ever stayed at.

• Liked — The air in the rooms was cold. It was close to the highway.
  • Disliked — It was very very dirty.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sunset Hills hotels

missouri
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This is a great place for the family..they are remodeling but the rooms are clean and they have alot for children.the staff is very freandly and willing to halp with all things needed to make your stay pleasant..

• Liked — nice rooms and great pool
  • Disliked — need bigger coffee maker in room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
branson mo
Reviewed May 12, 2008

My family wanted to stay here since they have a dome. Sounded like it would be great and easy for the family. First checking in was a mess. I made a reservation and prepaid it to save a few dollars. When I checked in they put me in another persons room. I thought it was since housekeeping was being too slow. When I checked out they charged me again for that persons room too! I told the front desk that I had prepaid already she said but you stayed in this room and I said you put me in this room but my name is>>>>>> she said oh and gave me the correct receipt. I asked if I would still be charged for that and she said no. I was not too surprised to see the charge on my credit card. This was over a month ago and I have yet to get it fixed. Now to the room. My room stunk of mildew and the usually hair around the tub and sink. The continental breakfast was nothing to be proud of. Most of the food had been picked through by 7 the staff was not replacing it. I was not full at all....

The shorter version of this story. Don't try to save money here because there's a great chance you will pay more in the end!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We stayed in a 2 room suite w/1 toddler. I could immediately tell that there had been a party in the room previously, there was confetti on the floor and silly string stuck to the wall and curtains. We had trouble regulating temperature. The parking was terrible. We had a room around the corner from the bar/restaurant and had the "pleasure" of drunks pounding on our door before and after the bar closed. This was an especially nice touch after finally getting our daughter to sleep in her unfamiliar surroundings. I could smell cigarette smoke from somewhere. The bathrooms were small and the toilets needed 3 flushes to swallow a little bit of toilet paper. The sink didn't put forth any hot water until the last day of our stay. Housekeeping was loud outside the room even w/a do not disturb sign. The carpet was filthy, my toddlers socks and my own will never be the same. The headboard of the bed fell off the wall while my daughter was napping and I was leaning on it watching tv while she slept. Hotel is off a very busy road and I was not comfortable walking around w/my daughter as most of the drivers in the lot were going to the bar and not really looking for pedestrians.
We received the AAA discount, but even w/that...just not worth the icky feeling.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Icky floor
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed February 18, 2008

This hotel boasts 2 promising features: an indoor pool, and a hopping irish pub ("Helen Fitzgerald's") on the premises.

Unfortunately, the acommodation side of things offers slim pickings in terms of conveniences, let alone luxury.

I was first given room 315, on a pre-paid 3 night stay. The room had not been cleaned properly, was cold and drafty, the shower in the morning was lukewarm at best and the furnishings in the room worn out.

The friendly receptionist later changed me into and inside room, which was dramatically better, cleaner and had obviously been renovated not too long ago. The shower remained cold for the second, and became nice and hot on the third morning of my stay.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Bernhard S
memphis
Reviewed September 26, 2007

the hotel is clean but that is all i can say. The staff was very unfriendly. the housekeeper threw our clothes on the floor when cleaning the room. the toilet would not flush properly. With all the air conditioner units blowing into the hotel, it was very hot. We were charged more than I was told on the website and I was told that it was for the upgraded services, extra pillows, better shampoos, soaps and biscuits and gravy on the breakfast bar. I think this should be told ahead of time. We will never stay here again. we had a no cancellation clause for the great rate but i think they have to do this to make sure you will stay after you see the place. If it had not been for that, we would have walked out and gone some where else.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights

Been to Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard? Share your experiences!