“AVOID THIS PLACE IT'S AWFUL”
Review of Sunset Lodge

Sunset Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
Reviewed October 18, 2009

This place is horrible. Room was filthy. I was shocked to find my door had been left open by the maids when I returned several hours later after the maids came and replaced my towels. Always had to ask for the towels never any left in room.. Not sure why they have maids, housekeepers here as they don't clean your room. Bed linens and bedspreads were stained with blood. Mold growing in the bathroom, bathtub was also filthy. Hair in sink and bathtub. Even toothpaste left in sink. Cobwebs hanging in all corners and from ceiling. Quality it is NOT!! Find another place to stay as you don't know what you'll take along in your suitcase. This place is absolutely GROSS!!

• Stayed: October 2009
3  Thank computergal16

Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, also booked (on line) a second room for my daughter, son in law and their 2 children because they wanted an indoor pool due to weather.
Dirty room isn't the proper term, more like grimey filth, worn out nasty bed.
Needless to say I was given the runaround, no room change, discount, NOTHING!
Verbally offered to change my room around 9:30 p.m. we drove 2200 miles to get this treatment? Obviously so.
Do not stay here. Lazy maids, in my opinion, a manager that doesn't check the rooms , etc....My daughters room had a plastic soft seat on the toilet that the plastic cover was torn, etc... We called Choice Hotels and complained, they called the hotel and they promised to change the toilet seat but it never happened!
My daughter has a two year old and four year old using that germ ridden seat.
They complained about their room also and when we returned the second night after housekeeping had been there, the refridgerator was unplugged, the childrens milk and food had spoiled, they complained to management and he said the kids had done this not his staff. We weren't at the hotel all day.
NEVER AGAIN @ any Quality Inn. They just went below my rating of Econo Lodges!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sis7653
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We booked this hotel for 2 nights to attend a college reunion. Our room was supposed to be non-smoking with a microwave and refrigerator. We were first put into a room that smelled of smoke and asked to be moved. Then we got the room next to it that had no microwave or refrigerator. The rooms have outdoor entrances and overall the place is just run down, dark rooms and not very appealing at all. The pool looked nice but we did not have time to use it. The breakfast was pastries, bagels, 2 kinds of cereal, make-your-own waffles, juice and a bowl of apples that had seen better days. More attention to the exterior appearance of this hotel would be a good thing. I would look further if I go back to St Louis again next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cjordan2
Reviewed May 4, 2009

The bathtub was not clean, the electric outlet cover on the vanity fell off and was filthy. The TV did not work and no bath towels were in the room the second day. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk, they were completely clueless as to how to proceed. Maintenance came to the room, flipped chanels on the remote, grunted and left - never fixed the problem. I called twice and went to the desk once to try to get bath towels. Several hours into the night (after we fell asleep), someone called and said they had towels now. Yet no one brought any towels to the room. We took some from the pool in the morning. The owner was not very concerned about our dissatisfaction and would never say what he would do to compensate us for the inconvenience. In fact, he wanted to hurry us along as people were waiting to check out (his words). We will not stay there again, nor would we recommend it. Choice Hotels should take this place off of their list.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank nasze
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Stayed here for one night while traveling. We had a King size bed room and I was rater impressed. The bed was a very comfortable Serta mattress. The room had a medium sized refrigerator, microwave, and wireless internet (802.11b/g). The room was clean. My wife appreciated the adjustable shower head and the great water pressure. The price wasn't bad for the location on a Saturday night (about $60.00 with AAA) no reservation. There is an indoor pool and hot tub which I was planning on using until I realized I didn't pack a swim suit. There is also a pizza place sharing the building the lobby is located in that has great food!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I have stayed at many hotels before, but this is the only one that has ever creeped me out. It was an old hotel (outdoor) entries, that had tried to be fixed up. When we arrived there was no parking and we had to drive around the hotel, where we encountered 2 police cars dealing with one of the rooms at the hotel. We drove around and my husband had to wait in the car while I got the room, because there was no parking up front. We drove around again because our room was on the other side, again, no parking. By this time, someone had left up front so we parked up there and walked back to our room. The room was dirty. Dirt in corners, hair in tub, blanket had spots on it. I didn't want to touch anything. The walls were thin. We went to check out the pool and found very dimly lit hallways and stairwells, not to comforting. We opted to stay in the room. We were supposed to stay 3 nights, but quickly cancelled the last 2 and went elsewhere. The breakfast was okay, but the eating area was cramped and had no room to move. Food needed to be replenished.
I was never so glad to leave a place before!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Yippiehoo
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I personally wrote to Choice Hotels about this location. This is a hotel that was obviously purchased by the chain, and they slapped their franchise name on it. Shame on them! This hotel does not hold up to the quality usually experienced with Comfort/Choice Hotels. We were supposed to stay 3 days, left after we checked in and saw the room. Filthy carpet, dirty environment...I was uncomfortable letting my children in the room and insisted everyone keep their shoes on. The room was the smallest, tightest quarters I have ever seen! Barely enough room to move around the bed. I wouldn't consider this a very good part of town, either. We definitely did not feel safe. Worst hotel experience I have ever had. This place needs to be closed down!

Stayed: January 2006
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Red Roof Inn St. Louis Westport
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#2 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#8 of 18 in Maryland Heights

Been to Sunset Lodge? Share your experiences!