“Pick any hotel other than this one, or stay in your car!”
Review of Sunset Lodge

Sunset Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sunset Hills
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Almost about this place is cheap, except for the price. I've paid less for more. The walls are busted in , cockroaches and other insects are more at home in the hotel room that I stayed in. The bathroom lights almost were useless, because I had to keep turning them to keep them from flickering. Thank GOD I'm a tall girl and can reach it. Bugs in the shower and not clean. I thought you needed a code to use their "wi-fi," but I was wrong. The wi-fi simply is just useless, so if you have work that needs to be done with the use of wi-fi, then bring your own.

I gave them 2 stars for the quiet area, good working refrigerator, phone, television, coffee maker (actually supplies the sweetener and creamer), and 2 good bolts on the door for safety. I go to several hotels, and this one I didn't even pay to stay in. I wouldn't go back if someone paid me. Every other hotel was booked in the surrounding area by the time the bug's family came out. I have photos of the bugs on the walls, filth, and the rest of the deterioration if anyone would like to see.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lee E
There are newer reviews for Sunset Lodge

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Don't stay here, it is not worth it. The room I had was dirty, phone didn't work, electrical outlets did not work, maid did not make bed or clean room or empty trash but did bring in fresh linen. Found a Roach on bathroom counter. Noisy out side with undesirable people. Room is dated, TV is old tube with two remotes, Ac on wall kept falling in. Was afraid to look under the bed for fear of what I may have found. I only stayed there because of last minute plans and they had a room available. Yes if you go thru Expedia or similar they per-charge your room on your card. I told them about the roach and they made a note but did not offer anything, I was only there for two nights and just gritted it out. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Don't!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Milt E
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The staff was nice. I must say the room was not very clean. The linen was the very clean, but the room smelled musty and in need of update. Could not take a shower as the shower wall was pulling away from the wall. I did not want the wall falling on me as I showered. I mentioned this to the clerk and she told me she would get ahold of the company I booked with and they would in turn reimburse me a percentage. That was May 20th and I have not heard from anyone since. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Victoria G
Reviewed April 17, 2014

so everything was going fine the price was reasonable so we've decided to stay two weeks instead of 2 days so after said and done the second night in we've seen over 5 to 10 roaches the bedding sheets were filthy so when asked to get new sheets they didn't have any size available for our bed.so one of the workers went into a unit that was empty because of plumbing problems and took the sheets off their king size bed so after a few more days they offer a free breakfast apparently so when I went down there to get some they denied me breakfast because they said it was only 4 people that are staying one night or 1 month I guess the two weeks were not good enough no room service at all to clean the unit we've had to ask over and over for somebody just to come by to give us clean.so after the third night the toilet stopped up the tub drain was clogged with filthy hair same as the sink when told one of the workers they just said we have to tell the manager the next night when he was there I think this is unacceptable for the amount of money that we paid for this place by far one of the worst experiences I have had in a hotel / motel everI do not expect much but at least go by what you say in the catalog

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank jay52067
shaiqamir, General Manager at Sunset Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

We appreicate you taking time out of your busy schedule to answer the survey. You experience issues with your room on the second night not the night you checked in. At the time you decided to stay on the discounted rate you signed a sheet explaining the discounted rate rules and regulation. I wish I had more information on your stay that way I can go back and check my records with housekeeping and mainten. Housekeeping service daily guest everyday and extended stay twice a week.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here when we could not find another hotel anywhere in St. Louis (during a busy time with conventions and the Cubs in town for a series with the Cardinals). This is by far one of the worst experiences I had at a hotel. There are times when you have a good room, but lousy neighbors at hotel; other times, good neighbors, but a lousy room. This place had both. Many people staying here were loud and some were drunk. Also our first room smelled of smoke and cleaning chemicals, with cigarette burns in the bedding. Our second room was only slightly better. Beds were not comfortable. They did not have coffee at the breakfast (eventually they got some made). We were supposed to stay here two nights but left after one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I read reviews when deciding where to stay for one night close to scott trade center for a concert. Price seemed reasonable and hey who doesn't like a good deal? The picures they have posted look promising but are very misleading. Its very shady and smells when you walk in. Rooms are tiny. Tvs need updated. I was shocked when turning on a lamp. Water pressure is horrible. Carpet is thin and disgusting. Shower was filthy. Towels smelled. Inside the fridge smelled. This place needs updated... at the very least clean the place head to toe!!!! DONT STAY HERE!!!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank peacelovediva
shaiqamir, Manager at Sunset Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Peacelovediva,

We do appreicate you taking time out of your schedule to answer the survey. I do apologize that we have failed below your standards. We are currently doing some updating with our hotel and hope you come back to give us a second chance.

It would be a great help if you could identify who you are or what room you stayed in. Please give us a call.

EconoLodge Management

Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked one night on secret rate site. The nightly rate was higher than the rate I spent for a 2.5 star hotel. I am wrong to guess that a 1 star with a higher rate would be ok. The room was dirty and unsafe. The electrical outlets on the vanity didn't work, light bulbs without covers, power strip used for tv and lamp, bedskirt ripped, tile falling off bathtub, large hole on door where it appeared to have been kicked, lock on outside door loose and near falling off, with broken outlets the hairdryer and coffee maker couldn't be used. I would have left but had prepaid and nonrefundable. Wouldn't take my socks off until dressing to leave the next day, they were filthy. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CMPA44
shaiqamir, Manager at Sunset Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

CMPA44,

Please accept our deepest apology for you experience with your stay at our hotel. Please be assured that all of your complaints has been address. We would like to thank you and your family for staying with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunset Hills
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard
Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66
Hampton Inn St. Louis/Sunset Hills
Best Western Kirkwood Inn
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton

Been to Sunset Lodge? Share your experiences!