“Saved By The Soup & Service From A Poor Rating”
Review of Gianino's - CLOSED

Gianino's
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My first trip here, this is a small place with tight parking which was decorated up nicely for Halloween. I was in a rare mood for Italian food and overdue for a meal. The interior is pretty common but my server was very helpful and attentive. Offered are pizzas, pasta as well as other beef, veal, chicken and seafood dishes. I had forgotten about many of the St Louis area Italian & pizza places using provel cheese on many dishes. I've tried provel and dislike it so it narrowed my choices immensely. I asked about the Italian sausage on pasta which wasn't on the menu and my server said that was no problem. Offered a choice of salad or soup, I got the minestrone which was excellent, seemed to be made in house as the veggies were still somewhat crisp. The pasta was very disappointing as the sausage was patty formed (I was expecting a link) and was char grilled which killed any other flavor it might have had. Also, the pasta arrived at about room temperature while the sausage patty was blistering hot. The red sauce was common-like store bought. I enjoyed the soup, service and the coffee but was not impressed overall.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I'd have rated to food higher had they not cover everything they make with pounds of provel cheese. You taste nothing else. The one exception is the chicken portobello pasta. It is killer! The amount of food you receive is definitely worth the price. If you're gonna eat anything here you gotta they the pizza. It's too die for. They make there own crust, cheese blend and sauce. I would suggest ordering carry-out though and here's why...the owner makes you feel so uncomfortable. I've been several times and each time she is wandering the restaurant yelling at employees and guests! And her language was totally inappropriate. There were kids present and she was firing off a slew of profanity that would make a sailor blush. It's unreal. Also the decor is awful. Eat the pizza but do it at home!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This used to be a favorite for St Louis Italian standards....Italian salad, thin crust pizza and toasted ravioli. It was a family-type restaurant with a friendly staff. I no longer live in St Louis and hadn't eaten there for a year or so. So, when I came in town, I headed there for lunch. We arrived at noon and the place was busy. We stood at the door and waited for someone to acknowledge our party of two. We waited and waited as the waitstaff passed back and forth. After a good 15 minutes, a waiter finally announced to us that he'd "be right with us". That's not so bad, but the guy had an edge to his voice and actually seemed annoyed. I should have walked out. We were seated soon afterwards. I didn't even need to study the menu. I ordered the Italian salad and sausage pizza. Then, we waited some more. It was 25 minutes more before the food was served. The salad was mediocre and the pizza was certainly not the quality that I remembered. The decor looked tired and frankly, not very clean. What happened to one of my favorites? I won't be returning. There are too many wonderful Italian restaurants around to tolerate mediocracy.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Their Pizza is very good. I ordered cavatelli con broccoli. It had so much garlic I could hardly eat it. I took the rest home and a few days later threw it away. I don't know how anyone could eat so much garlic and I am a garlic lover. Our waitress didn't have much of a personality. If you go on their website there is a printable coupon for a free special appetizer. The appetizer is toasted ravioli. They give you 2 pieces for each person in your party. Not much of an appetizer. They were some of the best toasted ravioli I have ever had. In all there are good and bad things with this restaurant. I probably would not go there again. The parking lot is very tight and hard to get around.