“A Holiday Inn Express by name only”

Quality Inn Santa Nella
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Santa Nella
Reviewed October 26, 2013

If you expected to find the standard Holiday Inn Express in Santa Nella to be one of the standard Holiday Inns, you will be surprised. To be sure the building has the sign but not really much else. Apparently there used to be another hotel (La Nation?) in that building and it has now been bought over by the Holiday Inn group. There is a nice courtyard and pool inside. All the rooms have entrance from the inside. There are four main gated entrances to the rooms and if you don't get parking in the correct side, you will have to lug your luggage to your room - quite a chore. We had asked for a single King bed but got two double beds instead. The rooms have not been modified much except for the slim TV. The sink is in the room and the person who gets up in the middle of the night or early in the morning could wake up others. The closet is just a rod with hangers in it. The bath room shows its age with wood rot in the back of the bathroom doors, peeling caulking etc. I could not the turn the old fashioned shower head to adjust the spray and had to use both hands to turn it like steering a car! The breakfast is OK at best. Not a real Holiday Inn experience!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pksubramanian
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Santa Nella, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear pksubramanian,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations and service received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we received very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Santa Nella

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Great Hotel right off the freeway.Perfect for a stop between north and south. Friendly staff,clean rooms,nice pool area,good breakfast.There is nothing to do or see in Santa Nella (it's more like a truckstop)Restaurants near by. A good value Hotel to recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was traveling from one end of Calif to the other and stopped for the night in Santa Nella. On previous trips I have stayed across the street at the Best Western which is marginal. This time I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and was pleasantly surprised. I know of all the truck noise in the area combined with Andersen Split Pea Restaurant traffic, but it is a good location to stop for the night.
I arrived late and got an immaculate room (213), and it was like a peaceful retreat for a one night stay. No noise at all. I noticed that the pool and grounds were very clean.
Clean towels and bedding. Wonderful staff. Overall a great place to stay. Didn't eat breakfast there as I wanted to get on the road.
Overall I give it a 5/5 and will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Usually I post to warn other from places that suck, but this place is ok.

Cool courtyard, impeccably clean and well-groomed, friendly staff, and in process of getting fresh paint and carpet.

Breakfast was good, the usual.

Pool was well maintained and fresh looking.

Grass, shrubs, et al were all well manicured.

We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 17, 2013

An old courtyard motel near some truck stops.

Rooms are very dated, floors creak a lot so it would be terrible downstairs. We had upstairs rooms (no elevators, but it's only two stories).

All rooms are outside corridor rooms, all facing inwards to the pool. Patched areas on the corridor floor show where the old building is giving way. Vehicles are parked outside, out of sight, which is risky given the surroundings.

There's a truck park right next door (by the Carl Jnr's) so there's the rumble of refrigerated trucks all night long, and more noise when they're starting up in the morning. It is far enough to mostly avoid the freeway whine though.

Breakfast was fairly typical for a Holiday Inn Express (about the only thing in this place that was). Even there, a milk carton contained "off" milk and when I reported it to the person responsible for the breakfasts she couldn't care less, didn't do anything to check the rest.

I know there's not a lot of choice on this awful road, but it's still not somewhere I'd stay again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, upstairs rooms away from the corners will be just a little bit quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank riom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Santa Nella, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear riomags,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the room conditions has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Let me start with the fact that as a customer I do not believe I have ever felt so unwelcome at a hotel before.

Pros: Room was clean, well decorated, TV was a decent size and the shower head is fabulous.
Cons: Manager is the rudest I have ever come upon, the beds are extremely firm, the wifi is slow, if you get a room close to an entrance/exit gate you will hear it all night and day.

I have emailed the corporation.....My significant other and I planned on taking a relaxing day off from work, we drive truck and it is a very tiring job so when we get down time we like to find a nice place to relax. He called on 09/27/13 to make a reservation for the following two nights, first he asked if they allowed pets and was told yes with a fee of $10, which is average. The next question was is there a weight limit for pets, the answer was no, next he asked about special driver rates or AAA rates and was quoted a great price, so from there he proceeded with room type, told the clerk he would like a king room on the ground floor, he was asked how many guests and he gave his standard reply " me, my wife and our dog". The clerk booked our room for next two nights and that was the end of the conversation. The following day he called at approximately 11 am and inquired about an early check in, the clerk said that she did not have any king rooms on the ground floor and that she could give us a double queen for a price about $10 more than the rate we were getting, which he declined he was told check back in an hour or two. So about an hour and a half later we went to the front desk where Carrie was the manager on duty and inquired again about early check in. She looked in the computer and said yes I do have a room available for check in, I asked if it was ground floor because our dog has a hip issue and she replied I cannot put you in a king room with a pet it is company policy that pets are only allowed in two queen rooms. To which I replied we made our reservation last night and that we had told the clerk we had a pet and had even asked about fees and restrictions, we were told nothing of a company policy about the no pets in king rooms. She replied that it is company policy and there were no notes on the computer about a pet, she could not put us in a king room, but could put us in a two queen for a higher rate or we were welcome to cancel our reservations and stay else were but she want not sure that the Best Western across the way even accepts pets. I said that they do and we have stayed there before but their rate was much higher, and that was not acceptable we made a reservation with the clerk last night and that they knew we had a pet. She proceed to get a little snooty about it and tell me that the reason we cannot have a king room is because it has a couch in it and they cannot be cleaned, and we know some people are allergic to dogs, and asked if we were sure we told the clerk we had a pet. I told her that of course I told them we had a pet why would he have asked about weight limits and the fee, I understood the policy but it was not acceptable to me that we not only were not getting the room we made a reservation for but that we had to pay a higher rate. She then repeated her exact words about the company policy. Carrie proceeded to say that we were already getting the best rate, that truck drivers go the lowest rate they offered, and there was nothing she could do that the computer automatically changes the rate when the room is changed from a king to two queens. I stated again that it was not acceptable to me that we not only were not getting the room we reserved but had to pay the $10 pet fee and a higher rate for the room, and this is were it gets very ugly she got ruder as the conversation went on and said again that there was nothing she could do. I told her I would like to talk to corporate office about the pets policy and she said that was fine, and that she would put me in a two queen for the rate I had reserved the king for but this would be they only time this would happen and that it will never happen again and that this is a one time thing, I repeat this will never happen again! Which I replied that if that is the case it should not be a problem because I will never ever stay at this location again and handed her my ID and credit card. To which she replied, I can see you are not going to be happy, I do not want to check you in if you are not going to be happy, you would probably be happier staying some where else, I will cancel your reservation for you. I replied that she should not be in management with that kind of attitude and that I would not be happy about the fact I was not getting the room I reserved but that I would be happy to get to my room and relax after this ordeal. At that point another guest came into the lobby and her attitude got a little lighter she said let me check, and under her breath no I don't like the room, oh well this one will have to do. At that point I had felt bad about the comment I had made to her so I told her I apologize about the management comment because I felt bad about my choice of words, but that she was being unreasonable which had frustrated me.To which she did not reply handed me a paper to sign and left my ID and credit card on the counter which I had handed to her and handed me the keys to the room. I have never felt so unwanted as a paying customer and also have never been treated to rudely the comment about not being able to make me happy tops the cake, the correct solution in my opinion would have been at the beginning..... I am sorry that the clerk did not mention this to you last night but our company policy is that pets cannot be placed in king rooms, only two queen rooms, the price is normally ______, but I will give you the rate you were quoted last night if the room change is okay with you. That would have made me happy with no explanation or attitude needed. We ended up not staying the second night, we checked out on the 09/29/13. We did not get much sleep the beds are very firm and the gate was being open and shut all night.

I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn brand hotel in 8 years and though I would hope that all your locations would not treat there customers so rudely it definitely makes me look at your hotel chain as a secondary choice compared to others. I sincerely hope that someone has a discussion with the manager Carrie about her attitude towards customers, just because we are getting a discounted rate does not give her the right to treat us with a discounted attitude. Thank you for your time

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank sassie2u2me

Dear sassie2u2me,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the pet policy imposed by the management, we will look into this, but more over, we would like to sincerely apologize about the poor customer service you have received from our staff which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were on our way to Laguna Seca Raceway for the Moto GP event, and had the misfortune of staying here in this motel on the way. We don't recommend this place because it's noisy, there's not any real security, and you can't see your vehicle from any room in the place. Our trailer was broken into within hours of stopping and parking where the staff told us it would be a safe place to park it. So untrue. They didn't bother to observe the many TV camera images of the outside of the building, which is totally without any windows facing the parking lot. All of the rooms surround an interior courtyard, there are no exterior windows at all. So your vehicle is going to be parked in an unsafe and prone to break in area. We know this because when we called the Sheriff to report the property loss after they broke into our trailer, he said it was a common occurrence in that area and they were called as many as five times a week to take burglary reports. It wouldn't have been so bad had the office staff not assured us upon checking in that they would monitor our trailer overnight using their security camera system. What a joke that was, they never even told the night manager that there was any special reason to watch our trailer. And we parked exactly where they told us to park, which was on the back corner on the left, on the back of the motel. Ordinarily I would have never parked there. We didn't sleep well, either, as there was a continuous stream of people checking in, a metal gate slamming all night long, and voices bouncing all around the interior courtyard. We'll never go back here ever again. Don't bother to stay here in Santa Nella, keep driving.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank porsche74s
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn Santa Nella, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear porsche74s,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to stay with. Safety is a top priority for our hotel and for all travelers I am deeply sorry you received services and accommodations that was less than satisfactory. We are hospitality professionals and pride ourselves on delivering world class service. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Zelyn N

Red Roof Inn Los Banos
Red Roof Inn Los Banos
#7 of 9 in Los Banos
Motel 6 Santa Nella - Los Banos - Interstate 5

Been to Quality Inn Santa Nella? Share your experiences!