“Treasure on the I-5”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Santa Nella
Palm Springs, CA
“Treasure on the I-5”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

On the way home from San Francisco, the radio was playing Hotel California and suddenly we passed this hotel as the sun was going down. It looked like the album cover so we decided to pull off and investigate. What a treasure. The price was just under the other local hotels and the room was nice. As we checked in we learned the management and much of the staff is very new. The young man at the desk was quick, friendly, and professional. The room he gave us was facing the amazing center gardens with two large lighted fountains. As dark came over the property, the bell tower lit up and the huge tiled courtyard was romantic to walk in. We discovered a cocktail lounge next to the restaurant. The restaurant was closed and I guess is opening for dinners very soon, but the bar was open. The bartender was also friendly and entertaining.

Before we walked out, we met the manager and found out why all the staff we met was so nice and helpful. He could not have been more of a host and is from Scotland, making him a fun character. The rest of the night was restful, even with the location next to the freeway. We had no issues in our room and you can tell they are really working to make this hotel better if you read the reviews from the past. It could use some updating and hope the owner will invest into that.

We are going to make a point to using this as our stopping point, as we go back and forth to San Francisco about every months and are looking forward to seeing the changes as they happen. I would recommend staying here and getting a courtyard view room.

Room Tip: Get the rooms facing the courtyard and have balconies.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank marywanderer53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 22, 2013

A pleasant surprise. Besides several Motel 6s and a couple of Best Western, there very few options on this stretch of I-5. The room was large and had a couch, table, desk and small refrigerator The furniture is old, the plumbing fixture in bathrooms rusting, electrical outlet loose. Even though fixtures are showing their age, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, good water pressure. A hot, order-to-cook, breakfast included in the rate. They give AARP, AAA, and military discounts. The entry is inviting, there is a well maintained plaza area with fountains. The hotel also offers meeting rooms and can cater the event, there is a exercise room.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms looking on the plaza. Avoid 101 through 108. These are lower units with windows and do...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LGoehle
Napa, California
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I were on a road trip heading back from LA to Napa.We were looking for a hotel when we came across this huge bell tower .We decided to check it out.My wife was a little hesitant about staying because of the age of the hotel.I had great vibes from the place so we decided to give it a try.It was the most relaxing stay over are week long road trip and cheapest.We lounged by the beautiful pool for a few hours then headed over to the bar for a few drinks.We were amazed at how nice and neat the night club was.The staff was very friendly and made you feel right at home.The rooms are dated a bit but were very clean and comfortable with a great working air conditioner.We will be staying their again.It is something to experience.

Room Tip: Upstairs with a balcony offers great views of the courtyard
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a strange place. It looks like a monastery with its long halls and bell tower that towers over the entire place, it is huge, it dates from the 60's and it has not been fixed much since then besides a few things here and there like the sink and the faucet although the shower was from the 70' s era (or maybe the 60's). Bedding, carpet and paint were faded but not dirty. It was fairly empty and did not feel safe since anyone could be driving off the road, go up the stairs and force any of the rooms. I did not notice any security guard doing rounds or any surveillance cameras. There is a very large swimming pool and hot tub with a view of traffic on Interstate 5. Breakfast is free with the room and is basic eggs, sausages, bacon, pancakes or toast. There is no room service which is fine because, by the time you would receive your meal, it would be cold.

Room Tip: There is no room service.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jjlasne
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This place was a nightmare! The first room they gave me had roaches in it. The 2nd room they gave me had a non-functioning air conditioning unit when it was 95 degrees. Add to that the fire hazard of a non-opening balcony door which was jammed with a device I couldn't remove. I asked for my money back and have yet to recieve it! I decided to drive home and didn't spend the night there. They are trying to cheat me out of the money I paid for a room I never stayed in!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dorothy S

Travelers are raving about these Santa Nella hotels

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here once simply because we were tired, now we go back o purpose. Old lovely, warm, soothing, charming grounds and staff with huge balconies that overlook gorgeous fountains, it's the one hidden gem on I5!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room overlooking the fountains and yes there is a Starbucks!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kathleen H
Redmond, Oregon
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stopped at this hotel with my daughter on our way from Oregon to Palm Springs for Spring Break. The front desk clerk was real rude to us.

A person kept following us back and forth between my Mercedes R-350 and our room. (I felt like my daughter was being stalked by this person) This person was apparently a security guard (not in uniform and dressed like a transient holding a large mag-light flashlight)

Could not tell if the security guard was a guy or a girl, the security guard was very unfriendly. The security guard reported that he/she saw my daughter holding a five pound pure white Pom-Chi to the same rude front desk clerk. I few minutes later I received a rude phone call from the front desk clerk telling me my credit card would be charged $40.00.

My daughter was almost in tears from being followed around and stalked by this so called security guard who was not in uniform. I will never go near this place again. I would rather stay at the Bates Motel from the Horror Movie!

Room Tip: Stay away from this place! Especially if you have children and a small dog.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Quality Inn Santa Nella
Quality Inn Santa Nella
#2 of 5 in Santa Nella
Motel 6 Santa Nella - Los Banos - Interstate 5

Been to Hotel Mission de Oro? Share your experiences!