“Over-rated and Over-priced”

Cuisines: American, Danish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This road food stop has atmosphere and a menu that smacks of Denny's or Shari's, except at double the price. Their pea soup isn't all that amazing either. Next time I'd dine at Harris Ranch Inn near Coalinga and overnight at Hotel Mission de Oro in Santa Nella.

There are newer reviews for Pea Soup Andersen's

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I live about 45 minutes away and this place is actually a destination restaurant for my friends and me. One of them likes pea soup and we head over every couple of months. I've never had a bad meal there. The cooking has a European flair - the meatloaf is more dense than typical American meatloaf -- it's more like a pate and served thinly sliced. The turkey, stuffing and gravy also have a European flavor -- and are excellent, as are the burgers and fried chicken. Sit on the coffee shop side for more of the Danish decor - the dining room side is plainer (the food is the same in both). If you're traveling on I-5, it's definitely worth a stop.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Very good if you like pea soup. Fried chicken was good.

1  Thank Greg C
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I used to love Pea Soup Andersen's when they were in So Cal. Now that they are no longer there, I was looking forward to visiting one on my way to SF. We stopped at the Gustine location and being a cold, rainy day, my kids were so excited because I had told them about how good it is. Unfortunately, we were in for a huge disappointment. We were seated in a room that was not updated for about 40 years but we were still hopeful. We each ordered the All You Can Eat soup and bread ($9.95) thinking that we will be so full of soup that we wont need anything else. The waiter brought our bowls of green soup. As I put my spoon into the soup, I could not smell the familiar pea soup. I dipped in the watery soup and as I tasted it, I was very disappointed. Not only the soup tasted like they had opened their own bland, canned version (which I have tried and terrible), it smelled like tap water. I thought it may be the spoon but as I smelled the bowl, the metalic smell was coming from soup. Since we were so hungry, we added pepper, lemon juice and hot sauce to give the soup some type of flavor filling our stomachs with bread. The waiter asked if we wanted more and we all said no. After $50 of canned soup, we left the restaurant still hungry. I am not a good cook but my kids commented that my pea soup is better than the restaurant's and that is not a common compliment. Don't waste your money.

2  Thank nitpicky-traveler1
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We should have read the reviews before going here but got a coupon from our hotel and decided a lite supper of soup sounded good! Soup and salad....average salad, not fancy-mostly lettuce. I couldn't eat the tomato (soft and awful tasting)...Soup, I make better soup. Husband had the bread soup bowl....Small amount and the bacon, cheese, etc. was perhaps a teaspoon each.....Over Priced Place. Gift shop in front of store for tourist to spend money.