“Love there Split Pea Soup!”

Pea Soup Andersen's
Cuisines: American, Soups, Danish
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Long Beach, California
“Love there Split Pea Soup!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

Last meal of our summer vacation on the way from San Francisco to Long Beach. I had the Traveler's special breakfast of Split Pea soup (with the toppings for an extra $2.50), 2eggs, 2 pieces of bacon & 2 pancakes. Bonnie had the Patty melt, potato salad & a bowl of the soup. Real food service as Elva kept checing to seeif we needed anything else. A nice way to finish our vacation!

Vancouver, Canada
“Only An Average Dining Exerience"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

The name denotes this restaurant's specialty, and its famous soup is spoken of in hushed tones by the tens of thousands of fans who have consumed millions of bowls of the product over the past 88 years. It is shipped all over the U.S., and Andersen's is arguably the most significant purchaser of peas in the country.

I first stopped at Andersen's on I-5 in 2006. I didn't know it was famous for its soup at the time, but I ordered it and it was superb. So I stopped again in 2009--same wonderful soup. Finally, I stopped yet again in early 2011--and was very disappointed.

I ordered the soup, and, along with some half-stale bread, it arrived in about 1 minute. TOO fast! That inordinate speed, along with the waitress's rapid-fire memorized patter, made me feel like I was being rushed out the door. The soup itself was only tepid, excessively thickened with flour or cornstarch, and tastelessly bland. No flavour, no distinctive qualities whatever. When I asked for the bill, the waitress dropped it without a word and rushed away.

Altogether an experience unworthy of the sterling reputation this establishment has developed over close to 100 years. I'm uneasy about returning.. I fear that this place has been lulled into indifference by its own longevity and the complacence that often goes with being alpha dog for too long.

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank Clark C
Kelowna
“Best place to have a meal on a roadtrip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Considering the fact that this place is off the I-5 in a small community, it offers a true oasis for the hungry traveller. The menu choices are plentiful, and the food is well prepared. The waitstaff was attentive in a very busy dining room. We found that we paid what you would normally expect for lunch, and the helpings were generous. It's a funky, country-style dining room, and a gift shop for the souvenir hunter is next to it.

• Visited July 2011
Los Angeles, California
“Cool roadtrip stop from LA to San Fran!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Me and my 3 friends went on a roadtrip from LA to San Francisco and stopped here to have breakfast. The food is good, regular diner food, at diner prices. I had the breakfast crossaint sandwich with hashbrowns, my friends had the Huevos Rancheros. All of us where pleased with our food. It defenetly beats stopping at a Denny's when you are on a roadtrip. We wanted to try something different, the atmosphere and decor of the place is cute. I also tried their pea soup, its good, considering I don't care much for pea soup in the first place. Will stop there again when I'm making that LA-San Fran drive.

• Visited March 2011
Herald, California
“Tasty food and fast service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

Pea Soup Andersen's has been a fixture on I-5 in central California for many years. it is a place designed to serve a large number of people very quickly and very efficiently, and they do this quite well. It's crowded, noisy, and brightly lit--not the place for a relaxing meal, but a considerable cut above the fast food options on the highway. The menu is standard coffee shop fare plus a few Danish specialties and, of course, famous Andersen's split pea soup. Food is simple and tasty. There is also a cocktail lounge, bakery, and gift shop offering a variety of food products and souvenirs. Service was good and fast, and ample free parking surrounds the restaurant. Budget- and family-friendly.

• Visited February 2011