“Excellent Sunday lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bryngarw House
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We ate at the restaurant on Sunday 17th Feb 2113 as half of a party of four, we have eaten here before, and certainly will again, Though we find the decor at Bryngarw is now somewhat dated and a little tired...it does not in any way mar the eating experience....the staff were as always very attentive and professional, even whilst clearly working under the great pressure of being under staffed, lunch service did take longer than usual, but we were enjoying good company, and fully understood that the waiting staff were "working all out" to cater to a very busy room of diners,
Our meals were of the highest quality...skillfully prepared.. artfully presented...and very much enjoyed by our party, Thank you.
We were disappointed to read another review posted by diners who had apparently eaten at the restaurant on the same day, whose experience seems to have been very different from our own.....?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sasa J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My partner and I booked a table at the restaurant to celebrate a job promotion for me. I have dined here a number of times in the past and the food as it was this time is always of a high standard.

Unfortunately I found it difficult to enjoy my meal whilst wearing my coat – I tried to dine without it but could not bear the perishing temperature of the conservatory we were sat in. Yes it was December and no I wasn’t wearing my thermals but I shouldn’t have to when going out to a restaurant.

The chill in the air meant our food went cold quickly and we didn’t spend as long there as we had planned. We could hear and see others were also cold, putting on extra layers/coats and rubbing themselves warm.

Sadly this experience completely put us off coming to Bryngarw for a Valentines Meal and although I know the food would have been lovely, the thought of being cold and miserable throughout the meal didn’t strike me as a particularly romantic setting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FannyD83
Bridgend, South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I booked to stay at Bryngarw on Saturday 9th January, as a late anniversary gift to each other.
We always request room 18, which is upstairs in the annex. It is a lovely big warm room. Yes there is a small TV, but we haven't booked to sit in our room watching telly. Really comfy bed. Shower (no bath) in bathroom, which works perfectly well. One thing, take some bottled water with you as the water in the room is not very drinkable.
Now the most important bit..........our evening meal. It was gorgeous.
Before starters we were given a taster of tomato & basil soup.....mmmm
To start we had risotto with haddock & a perfectly cooked, deep fried, poached egg..........so tasty
For mains OH had the pork medallions with black pudding & I had salmon wrapped in ham.....both cooked to perfection
For desserts...........there is only ever 1 real choice (as far as we're concerned), the trio of desserts.........speechless & full by now.
We couldn't believe how quiet it was, there was us, a table of 4 & another table of 6.
Breakfast is always good. Unfortunately this time they had no sausages (which are usually really great quality sausages), but to make up for it they doubled up on everything else. The coffee is real good too.
Evening meal, bed & breakfast cost £80 for the 2 of us.........unbelievable value for money. Even if you just go for a meal & have the 3 courses it is now only £19.50 each.

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JustineandKelvin
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were a group of 12 people celebrating a 90th. birthday in the Harlequin restaurant. The staff were very helpful when we called earlier in the day to put up banners and photographs. They also hid a surprise birthday cake and presented it with candles lit at the appropriate time after the meal. The meals were excellent and enjoyed by all. There was a good selection and more than enough vegetables. For the sweet I chose the bread and butter pudding It was "truly scrumptious" and the best I ever tasted! Hannah the waitress was friendly and very efficient and the young gentleman at reception volunteered to take photographs using guest's cameras. A splendid evening in a lovely venue with excellent food.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank thomas b
Cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

The New Cafe lunchtime service has no resemblance to that at the main house at all. They have a professional friendly staff that give service with a smile. The coffee and snacks were excellent whilst sitting at windows seats looking out over the lovely grounds and abundant wild life. I would not give Bryngarw House a star for lunchtime snacks. I would give the woodland Cafe and could recommend it to anyone looking for an affordable snack in pleasant friendly and well kept surroundings. It is a shame the main house could not ellict the same comments in the lunch time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank YvonneCaridff
Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a midweek special deal. On arrival we were dealt with efficiently and given our room key, told it was in the annex which is not part of the main building. It was absolutely pouring with rain and to get to the room we had to walk outside in the rain. Not a good start, however when we got to the room it was enormous, nice bed, shower instead of bath but that's not a problem,the only fault was the television in the room, it was a very old model and must have had a screen no bigger than 14".I had to put my specs on to see it and the reception was poor.The bed however was very comfortable and we had a comfortable night.Would stay again but bext time ask for a room in the main building.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Bryngarw House at the end of August, 2012. We were allocated room 16 in the Annex building. On entering the room, we were faced with an overwhelming unpleasant disinfectant smell. We quickly opened the windows and decided not to complain as we were aware of a wedding party residing at the hotel that evening and didn’t want to cause any inconvenience.
The odour seemed to reduce a little with the introduction of fresh air but we were glad to leave the room for the evening.
After an uncomfortable night's sleep, we decided not to complain on checking out of the hotel thinking that at least it suggested that the room was clean.
However, when we unpacked after returning home we were horrified to find that our night wear absolutely ‘reeked’ of the same disinfectant smell. Given the fact that the only items of clothing affected by this horrific smell were night clothes, it became evident that it was actually the bed that had been disinfected. I have no idea the reason for this but my husband and I feel physically sick that we slept in that bed and will certainly not be returning to the hotel.
I wrote a letter of complaint and the response I received was that they were aware of the smell and it was not the bed but a smell affecting the whole annex building. If that was the case then why was it that our night wear was only affected? I also know people who have stayed in the annex and didn't notice any such smell. The hotel refused to refund us stating that we should have complained on the night. At that point, we did not know that we were sleeping in a disinfected bed!
Other down points were that our archaic tv only provided BBC2 Northern Ireland and Radio Israel and the service at the bar was appalling. The breakfast wasn't bad though.

I definately would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Claire S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brynmenyn
Premier Inn Bridgend Central Hotel
#1 of 9 in Bridgend
The Great House Hotel
The Great House Hotel
#5 of 9 in Bridgend

Been to Bryngarw House? Share your experiences!