“Too pretentious by far” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Stagg Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Titley
The Stagg Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Titley B&B and Inns
Wales
“Too pretentious by far”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Visited around the Christmas period for an evening meal having visted a few times over the years. We have had both good and not so good experiences so we were looking forward to seeing what was on offer. First impressions were ok but have to agree with the recent comments on the owners wife being rather aloof on arrival. We sat in the bar and selected from the menu before moving into the restaurant area. I had the trout with the charcoal smoker which as a bit of theatre was fine but I found rather tasteless for the money being charged. The bread was brought to the table inside a hessian sack. never seen this before but we found the bread to be hard crusted and almost stale and left the crusts. The mains were also just okay and we have certainly had much better food elsewhere for similar money . My wife had duck which came with another bit of theatre carrots in a flower pot containg swede and mushroom dust. Not quite as it read off the menu and all a bit unneccessary in my opinion. The temperature in the room was rather cool too and it seemed as if they were understaffed as we were left with uncleared plates for over 20 minutes at a Michelin starred restauarant ! So overall not a good experience and we doubt we will return as much prefer visiting Nantyffin Cider Mill or the Griffin at Felinfach which both provide much better eating experiences

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Snifferoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed in the pub and ate there as part of a Christmas treat for my wife. We went to Kington and walked up to Hergest to build an appetite and good job we did.
From starters to puds all was excellent - special mention for the scallops on artichoke puree which was quite simply outstanding and one of the best single dishes of food I have ever eaten. My wife's Herefordshire rump - like virtually everything sourced locally - tasted like a steak should and was perfectly cooked. Service was low key but friendly,well-informed and excellent.
Decent wine list which my wife appreciated and the Dunkerton's organic cider - also local - was most drinkable; beer choice was a little unimaginative with so much happening with craft beers.
The room at the pub was comfortable and after a long walk the bath - with loads of hot water - was a welcome relaxing experience.
Bracing walk in stunning scenery, comfortable warm homely room and outstanding food - great weekend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recently visited the Stagg inn, having heard only good things about this place we made the special effort to drive over an hour to visit. I found the food was good if it had been in the pub category but lacked the powerful flavours and adventurous menu that its reputation, and prices, would have you believe. The front of house staff were cold and lacked knowledge about the food they were serving, for me this is a must, and this limited our experience. Overall I enjoyed the meal, however its unlikely I will revisit, when the competition all around is providing warm welcomes and outstanding food, the choice is easy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank j0shua89
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here many times and always enjoyed the food.....but this time the starter portions seemed very small, and when according to the dish description on the menu we were expecting a certain ingredient in the dish it was either too small to notice or wasn't there at all!!!! My friends thought that the head waitress was very snooty and were not aware it was the owners wife....but her behaviour is strange considering her importance to the business. We will go again next year when we have saved up again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank foodgourmet42
hereford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have been to the Stag a few times some years ago. My friend had always wanted to go so I took her as a treat for her 50th birthday for lunch. It was a quiet friday in December and there was only one other couple in the bar area. We sat in the restaurant part which is very nice and had a wood burning stove making a nice atmosphere.
Gwyneth is an excellent cook herself so our bar was set high for the chef!
We were brought 'home made crisps with balsamic vinegar foam' as an appetiser. The crunchy ready salted crisps dipped in the balsamic foam were the nicest salt and vinegar experience ever. We were then brought warm soda bread with rapeseed oil and butter.
My starter of scallops with samphire was absolutely perfect. Gwyneth tasted one and agreed the nicest scallop she had tasted. Her 'huntsmans trout' was beautiful. A little rack with strips of trout on above its owndish of smoking charcoal with potatos and an amazingly textured horseradish mayo to the side. Main course for me was lamb. Three small lamb chops , perfectly cooked and some cubes of slow roast shoulder which had then beed deep fried in a crumb - melted in the mouth. Served on savoy cabbage with caramelised shallots and tiny balls of sauteed potatos. Gwyneth had duck. Confit leg and a duck breast. I do not know how the breast was cooked but the texture was amazing. We both agreed we had not tasted duck like it. For desert I chose a trio of creme brulee ( ginger, honey and vanilla) Gwyneth had the sticky toffee pudding with guiness ice cream. The brulees were a wonderful thick but soft consistency with the thinnest of sugar layers on top. The ginger and honey brulees complemented each other perfectly and the vanilla one was something else. Guinness ice cream was interesting as you could taste the guinness but it was lovely. How does that work! Gwyneth is a local pudding legend and judge in WI cooking competitions ! she gave the puddings a first place!
The cheese trolley is superb. Local and artisan cheeses with biscuits , bread and home made chutney. Gwyneth did not like the stinking bishop - so I ate it all :-)
Coffees came with a tiny lemon tart and a bag of chocolate crisps with salted caramel .

I eat out a lot in varied restaurants. I rarely say a meal was absolutely faultless. This meal really was absolutely faultless. The only other meal I have found as faultless as this was The Manoir au Quat Saisons which was a lot more expensive.

The staff and the food made this a very very special treat. We both want to come back soon and may even bring our husbands.

Room Tip: We didnt stay here, but if you do make sure you eat here. The food is wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank munchersly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Michelle and I arrived on Saturday to a very warm welcome from a member of staff. Our room was not quite ready so we sat down for Launch which both had a very warming soup and open sandwiches. The room was now ready for us so we dumped our bags. We then then headed to a local you can get every thing from place called Oakchurch near Hereford brilliant place for a visit. Evening meal time now it just gets better it's our 3rd year in a row and Steve Raynold and his team just get better year on year it amazing pub!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank Michelle and Du... S
Shropshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

A friendly welcome, informal unobtrusive and yet efficient service, gorgeous food and great wines. The Old Vicarage is absolutely beautiful and we wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The walk between the Vicarage and the pub might be offputting to some but on a clear night when the stars are out it is perfect.

Room Tip: If you're fussy about your tea take your own teabags as only Typhoo and PG are served. The coffe...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titley
Llangoed Hall
Castle House
Castle House
#2 of 13 in Hereford
The Feathers at Ludlow

Been to The Stagg Inn? Share your experiences!