“WOW absolutely outstanding food , interesting and different”
Review of The Stagg Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Titley
The Stagg Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Titley B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have been to the Stag a few times some years ago. My friend had always wanted to go so I took her as a treat for her 50th birthday for lunch. It was a quiet friday in December and there was only one other couple in the bar area. We sat in the restaurant part which is very nice and had a wood burning stove making a nice atmosphere.
Gwyneth is an excellent cook herself so our bar was set high for the chef!
We were brought 'home made crisps with balsamic vinegar foam' as an appetiser. The crunchy ready salted crisps dipped in the balsamic foam were the nicest salt and vinegar experience ever. We were then brought warm soda bread with rapeseed oil and butter.
My starter of scallops with samphire was absolutely perfect. Gwyneth tasted one and agreed the nicest scallop she had tasted. Her 'huntsmans trout' was beautiful. A little rack with strips of trout on above its owndish of smoking charcoal with potatos and an amazingly textured horseradish mayo to the side. Main course for me was lamb. Three small lamb chops , perfectly cooked and some cubes of slow roast shoulder which had then beed deep fried in a crumb - melted in the mouth. Served on savoy cabbage with caramelised shallots and tiny balls of sauteed potatos. Gwyneth had duck. Confit leg and a duck breast. I do not know how the breast was cooked but the texture was amazing. We both agreed we had not tasted duck like it. For desert I chose a trio of creme brulee ( ginger, honey and vanilla) Gwyneth had the sticky toffee pudding with guiness ice cream. The brulees were a wonderful thick but soft consistency with the thinnest of sugar layers on top. The ginger and honey brulees complemented each other perfectly and the vanilla one was something else. Guinness ice cream was interesting as you could taste the guinness but it was lovely. How does that work! Gwyneth is a local pudding legend and judge in WI cooking competitions ! she gave the puddings a first place!
The cheese trolley is superb. Local and artisan cheeses with biscuits , bread and home made chutney. Gwyneth did not like the stinking bishop - so I ate it all :-)
Coffees came with a tiny lemon tart and a bag of chocolate crisps with salted caramel .

I eat out a lot in varied restaurants. I rarely say a meal was absolutely faultless. This meal really was absolutely faultless. The only other meal I have found as faultless as this was The Manoir au Quat Saisons which was a lot more expensive.

The staff and the food made this a very very special treat. We both want to come back soon and may even bring our husbands.

Room Tip: We didnt stay here, but if you do make sure you eat here. The food is wonderful!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank munchersly

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Michelle and I arrived on Saturday to a very warm welcome from a member of staff. Our room was not quite ready so we sat down for Launch which both had a very warming soup and open sandwiches. The room was now ready for us so we dumped our bags. We then then headed to a local you can get every thing from place called Oakchurch near Hereford brilliant place for a visit. Evening meal time now it just gets better it's our 3rd year in a row and Steve Raynold and his team just get better year on year it amazing pub!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Thank Michelle and Du... S
Reviewed November 25, 2013

A friendly welcome, informal unobtrusive and yet efficient service, gorgeous food and great wines. The Old Vicarage is absolutely beautiful and we wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The walk between the Vicarage and the pub might be offputting to some but on a clear night when the stars are out it is perfect.

Room Tip: If you're fussy about your tea take your own teabags as only Typhoo and PG are served. The coffe...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We were there on a busy Sunday lunchtime but did not feel rushed. The service was excellent:pleasant, friendly waitresses who did their job with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of efficiency. All the dishes were well cooked and presented with very ample portions. It was certainly one of the best meals we have had in a restaurant. We shall certainly be returning and would recommend it highly.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Called in for lunch last week and we were so impressed. Great menu including extensive vegetarian options and specials too! We ordered the sausage and mash on the specials board (very good) and the ploughmans lunch for me. I had a choice of cheeses (there were twelve to choose from) and it was one of the best ploughmans I have had the pleasure to eat! I particularly loved the savoury baked apple, it accompanied the cheese and fresh bread really well. Service was attentive and friendly and we left feeling very content. Wish it was our local!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Not been here for a few years as it's a bit of a trek but so glad we made the effort. beautifully presented garden, covered in pumpkin lanterns for Halloween and the garden still looking trim and tidy and great for the time of year. Good selection of non-alcoholic drinks, I recommend the ginger and elderflower cordial with soda. great menu with a full vegetarian menu as well. all of the food was top draw, could not fault it and even my Mum managed 4 courses as she just did not want to miss out on such great food. I had baked figs with local blue cheese and pears for starter, fillet with smoked marrowbone, chips and salad which was divine. even the bread is worth a mention, dark and rich although the bag it came in to keep it warm is a nice idea its actually a bit of a fag as you have to pick the stray bits of hessian off of the bread. dessert of a trio of crème brulee topped off with coffee and home made petit fours which were in their own right worth a mention. they even sell Elysium which is my favourite dessert wine. tiny weeny rumple in the proceeding was we ordered a pot of coffee which arrived with a cup each but there was not enough coffee in the pot for our 4 cups and no accompanying cream or sugar. Waitress was properly surly when we politely asked for extra coffee, cream and sugar, not sure what we had done to upset but she made it very clear we had. Great value for money - 4 courses with non-alcoholic drinks under £50 a head. great lunch, can't wait to go back

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our third trip to the Stagg simply confirmed our previous visits (and review). Lovely pub with charming service and excellent food. Highly recommended.

We stayed int eh Vicarage and our room had a luxurious free standing bath. Great place for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Stagg Inn? Share your experiences!