“Hit & Miss”
Review of The Stagg Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Titley
The Stagg Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Titley B&B and Inns
“Hit & Miss”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed very recently on a recommendation. We stayed at the Vicarage which was very nice,
although I couldn't get any heat into the room even the towel rail wasn't warm and I couldn't find out how to turn it on. The beds were very good. I did have a cup of tea in the room and the following evening the tea bags were still in the pot even though they had cleaned the room. There was no complimentary water or a biscuit just a very well stocked honesty bar!! The restaurant was a real disappointment. The first night I had an average crab bisque with crab toast. The homemade crisps to start wern't a wow factor. I then had overcooked hake goujons. The second night I asked for just the sea bass chips and a salad. Well if you think a small piece of seabass a portion of chips and lettuce is a salad all for a whopping £16.90 wow not very good. I had to order a second portion of chips as I was still hungry. I really wanted to like this Inn but as a person who travels the country and stays away a lot I am afraid I would not tell anyone to use this place. The cooked breakfast was very good so a mixed bag here.I should of said something at the time but I don't think I would of been met with an apology. I don't know why I got that feeling but I did. They really need to look at the food in the restaurant as it really is not up to a decent standard. Sorry......................

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The negatives: We were overcharged by £16.90. With half a carrot, a dozens peas and a potato crisp as our veggies, we were underwhelmed. The overall quantity for the main course was pretty poor for an average appetite. Generally speaking, (with exceptions), the whole experience was overpriced.

The positives: The food was well cooked, well presented and the quality of each dish was excellent. The little extras, like home made crisps with our pre-dinner drinks were delightful. The staff were (mostly) friendly. The dining chairs were particularly comfortable. We enjoyed the experience overall, but feel that - as a whole - there are other restaurants locally which are better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Adrian W
Rhayader, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Excellent food and service definitely worth a trip booking advised as very busy there lovely atmosphere took my husband for his birthday who's a chef not much really good food places about but this is brilliant a few tweaks on there fines of the food and they could be getting higher accolades which would be lovely to see will definitely visit again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were on holiday locally and booked into the Stagg on recommendation of our cottage owners, and also because it's one of the few pubs locally that allow dogs in. We holiday as a family and that includes the dog, and the amount of pubs that allow dogs in I have to say is pitiful, and we usually end up eating in a back room or outside like lepers. To find such a pub with quality food is exceptional. My husband had the crab bisque to start which he said was beautiful and full of flavour, my only criticism was the smoked potatoes that accompanied the lamb, which were a bit too over powering, but that was probably my personal taste. The cheese trolley was amazing, full of local cheeses, and it's only fault was you could only choose 4! If we were in the area again we would without doubt visit again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked the Stagg on good recommendations from a number of friends, so arrived with high expectations. However this meal, though good in parts, did not live up to them. Some of our starters were good, but the scallops, though dramatically presented on a bed of hot stones, were not that special or tasteful. Crab and sweetbread starters were enjoyed by our table though, as were the lamb sweetbreads. My main was duck, which arrived cool. it went back to be reheated, which meant that the vegetables were soggy and overlooked. The crispy potatoes did not arrive, and were cold when they did. Other diners found the pork belly not well enough cooked, with too much fat and not enough crispy crackling. The steak was enjoyed though.

Puddings were better. However the three mini creme brûlée dessert might have been more interesting if it had been served as two creme brûlées with something crunchy to go with it.

We were hoping for a special evening, it was a family reunion, but I'm afraid this restaurant did not quite live up to our expectations.

3 Thank Shoshana62
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was taken by friends to the Stagg at Titley,which had been described to me as the 'first Gastro Pub to be awarded a Michelin Star' so I held great expectations! My starter 'potting shed' which sounded healthy was saturated with far too much oily mush then the plates were cleared while one of us was still eating, then those eating the lamb admitted it was unpleasant, rather undercooked and fatty accompanied with tiny potatoes with the contents scooped out and filled with an over-smoked addition and virtually inedible. However, my steak was good was also accompanied by too much greasy bernaise. On the plus side the wines were good and fairly priced, but overally the evening didn't live up to culinary expectations and I felt disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 806rosemary
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just arrived back home from first visit to The Stagg Inn. The character of the pub is lovely. The quality of the food was excellent and for a Michelin Pub the food and drink prices are very reasonable. However, what let are visit down was friendliness of the service. There was no host evident to meet and greet and the front of house staff were very 'cool'. The waiting staff were very efficient but it seemed that there was little management guidance on how to provide that touch of friendly service that you would expect from this class of pub. To summarise, don't let my comments on the service stop you from going.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Titley
The Swan at Hay
The Riverside Inn & Restaurant
The Radnorshire Arms
The Radnorshire Arms
#2 of 13 in Presteigne

Been to The Stagg Inn? Share your experiences!