The Moorings Hotel
TripAdvisor
All reviewsneptune's staircasecaledonian canalnew extensionbistro restaurantben nevissuperior roomlovely hotelbar mealsbottled waterlounge bartwo night staylovely roomthe jacobite steam trainspent two nightsfort williamroom was largedining room
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Booking, arrival and reception were all very good. However, we were DIRECTED (not taken) to our room. On openong the door we were met with a burst of heat. It was one of the heatwave days. The maid had not left any windows open, nor had she closed the curtains. Thankfully there was a small mobile fan on the dressing table and the windows did open wide, but no air conditioning. We coudn't cool down the room enough before retiring to bed, so we had a bad night. No fridge in the room to keep drinks cold. Had to go down to the bar to get some ice.
Whilst there I checked out the bar menu and it was over priced and uninviting. I checked the dinner menu and found the choice very limited, so we drove down to Ft William to an excellent Chinese Retaurant for dinner. It was only then that we found we were 3 miles outside Ft Wlliam at a place called Banavie, so it meant just a single glass of wine with dinner!!!
The room was average, but the toilet was not screwed to the floorand rocked when you sat on it. It is a not a hotel to which I would retrun

Room Tip: We had to settle for a Standard Room. They have Superior Rooms with King Beds which appear the best choice, but we did not book until the day before arrival and all the Superior Rooms had gone. No air conditioning in Standard Rooms, but not told this on booking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gerry T
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Visited with friends for an evening meal. However disappointed with limited choice on the menu for vegetarians. The meals that we did order were adequate and enjoyable. The decor and furnishings could do with some updating.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rhona C
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel after seeing reviews here. It is situated about five minutes drive from fort William. This makes it a more peaceful location with great views of Ben Nevis. It is situated right next to Neptune's staircase.
I booked a superior room (room 24) which had lovely views of the mountains including Ben Nevis and Neptune's staircase.
The reception staff were amazing and could not do enough for you. I received a very warm and friendly welcome and was shown to my room by a very pleasant lady who insisted she carry one of my bags. She refused a tip for this which I found found nice and made me feel really welcome and relaxed.
I had to leave early the following morning and they sorted out my taxis and arranged a continental breakfast for me, served by the night porter!!
The hotel is used by locals and other passers by so the restaurant can get quite busy. It was amazingly hot at 27.c and the bar area was a bit stuffy as there is no air conditioning. Of course that is not normally a problem in fort William! The food is very good with a good choice of local dishes as well as some very hearty fayre and a good range of salads. I spoke to a few locals who said they come here as for meals or a quiet drink as it one of the nicest places in fort William. To be honest I have to agree. I would certainly return in the future, and thank you to all the staff who made my short stay such a pleasant one.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We only popped in for a cuppa and a piece of cake because it started to rain and wished we had not bothered. The tea was nice but the measly slice of banana and walnut cake was a joke. We are staying in the area for a while but will not be filling our bellies here. Bad and sad for what seems to be a good quality establishment. Up your portion sizes pronto!

• Stayed: July 2013
Manager-Moorings, General Manager at The Moorings Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

This will be remedied immediately - our sincere apologies, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Moorings Hotel Fort William for three nights last month. I wish to bring to Trip Advisor`s attention an aspect of that establishment`s marketing which I find misleading in the extreme.

Having booked and confirmed B&B accommodation for the three nights we were offered B,B&D for an additional sum of £30 per person per night. Having looked at the sample menu we confirmed considering that such an offer by implication would realise a saving cf our paying separately. After all by offering such an “inducement” to dine in house no other interpretation could in my opinion be reasonably placed upon such an offer.

Upon being seated in the dining room on the night of our arrival we were offered the Table D’hôte menu which offered two courses for £24 and three for £30. When the restaurant manager arrived to explain the lack of apparent “increased value” for the consumer (after all we would be paying the same price as the advanced booking price) she explained that sometimes dishes were served which carry extra charges eg special types of steak. Customers on B,B&D would not, in those circumstances, be charged the additional menu price; just the £30. She could not be specific as to when such “special” dishes would be or were last on the menu. She made it quite clear that a diner having a two course meal only at a menu price of £24 would be charged £30 if on a B,B&D basis. Such pricing policy is outrageous. She also explained that the B,B&D tariff could be used in the Bar restaurant where there is an a la carte menu at cheaper prices.

I found her reasoning, and told her so, illogical, astonishing and misleading. It was unfortunate because the accommodation in a superior room, quality of breakfast, service from all staff and standard and cost of food and drink at the Bar restaurant were on the whole, minus a blip or two, very satisfactory.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

We are extremely sorry if you were mislead at the time of booking, we will carry our more staff training and try to make our policy clearer.