Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
$105
Fully refundable before Sat, Apr 27
Get rewarded with One Key
Agoda.com
$81
Fully refundable before Fri, Apr 26
No booking fees
All reviews free wifi min walk vinaka vakalevu scuba diving lunch and dinner garden island mango dorm rafa accommodation fiji ajay guide bure meals locals electricity
Selected filters
Reviewed September 2, 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay a lot. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The trips we went on (arranged by the hotel) to Bouma national park and snorkelling at the rainbow reef were great! The rooms were clean. We really enjoyed it all!

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Wander80519
Reviewed September 2, 2016

Great location in Taveuni. Worth paying a little extra for a Burra. The whole place is carefully laid out to give each burra privacy and wonderful views. Lovely well maintained gardens, friendly staff, and activities on offer every day. We went snorkelling on the rainbow reef and took the guided trip to the Tavoro waterfalls. Both these trips were worth the money (80 Fijian dollars) though if you are on a tight budget it is possible to visit the waterfalls on your own by taking a local bus (the trail is very well marked). The guide on our Tavoro trip (Ted) was knowledgeable and great fun to be with. Also worth doing is the Lavena coastal trail which is a 5km walk through lush rainforest to a lovely waterfall. A local bus goes to Lavena from outside the Marvu Lodge at about 10.30am and you can stay in a tent in Lavena village for 10 FJD a night if you want to experience village life or if you don't want to take a taxi back.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank wanderer80
Reviewed August 22, 2016

The rooms are nice (not super clean though); however, the management is bad. The island has so much to offer in terms of activities, hiking (Bouma), scuba ... etc but not only they have very poor activities offering and unorganized / unreliable but also they deny other providers to come to their facilities to pick up guests for activities. In another word, they don't live and let live.

This island is SO friendly that even the prisoners hanging out on a local prison can waive and say Bula (Hello) to you - I have never seen this in any movie before - LOL - I was shocked to see the hotel not being reflective of the island spirit.

Taveuni is a MUST visit. I'd definitely recommend Lavena Lodge (far but you can take a local bus or taxi and you are living next to a real Fijian village - meaning the REAL EXPERIENCE - the guide there was very friendly and we became buddies. Tell him Soufiane from US / Morocco - I am sure he will remember me :)

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
the_fiji_islander, Public Relations Manager at Maravu Taveuni Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2016

Bula Soufiane_Voyageur,

Thanks for the feedback. It is really great that you loved the island and so unfortunate that this incident occurred.

We understand that you have been mislead by an infamous local driver, who has been banned many times from our resort. He is embittered at being banned from picking guests from our property, and always jumps on an opportunity to cast our property in a dark light. He brings guests from the airport and tells guest that we are a big rip off whilst over-charging them from the airport. We caught him on a few occasions and have handed him a letter.

As you can find almost everywhere in the world, taxi drivers jump at a chance to overcharge. We try our best to sort out transfers for our guest. We know which drivers are genuine and have them as our first picks......for the sake of not getting our guest ripped off. The last thing we want is our guests to get the "Tourist" price.

A couple of recent reviews have mentioned how expensive our activities are, but this is also an issue that is unfairly stoked by a couple of banned taxi drivers as an attempt to gain trust for repeat business. From the services we provide, we are cost effective by a country mile. For instance our Bouma trips are $85fjd (transfer, guide, entry fee and lunch) if you were in the resort across the road where we have had a few of their guest join our trips their same trip is $150 not inclusive of lunch, entry fee and guide.....that cost is just transfers.

For travellers on super tight budgets and ample time to spend waiting around, we recommend the local bus. For all other guests, we recommend our day trips :)

Vinaka vaka levu and happy travels,

the maravu team

Reviewed August 18, 2016

Poor service, nice rooms

First let me start off with the positives. The location is beautiful, the rooms are nice and clean, and the mosquito prevention system is fully functional. With all the rain falling however we didnt really need to worry about the mosquitos. There is also no hot water. Normally not really a problem in a warm and tropical climate, but when it’s rainy and a bit cold, always welcome, and promoted in the reservation on booking.com.

My partner and I decided to choose Maravu because it had come recommended from Fijian and international friends. We chose a dorm so we could save some money on lodgings and spend on activities on the island. After relaxing (indoors because of the rain) we planned our first excursion with the hotel on the second day. $55 Fijian per person to visit the dateline! the catholic church of Taveuni and the so-called ‘sliding rocks’. No negatives concerning the first two elements. Nice guide as well, really friendly and interesting. After arriving at The guide’s house where we left the jeep behind, the other guide led us through a bit of forest (very nice) until we arrived at some water cascades where we could slide down. We had about four to five goes each over a distance of no more than 40 metres until our guide made it clear he wanted to take us to lunch. So far for the sliding rocks. Lunch was served in the guide’s backyard. Beautiful view, so all pretty good for him, but a ham and tomato sandwich and a mug of lemonade don't qualify as lunch. We stayed up there for about half an hour, in our guide’s backyard, waiting so part of our group could go catch their ferry. I have literally no idea why that cost me $55 Fjd.

The next day my partner and I decided to take it upon ourselves to do a trip to the Bouma waterfalls, to see for how much less than the $80 fjd of Maravu Plantation Resort we could do it. We ended up spending $60 entry fee at Bouma, $12 Matei-Bouma-Naqala bus fee, and $23 for a wonderful curry lunch at Ria Poni’s restaurant in Naqala (a definite recommendation). We saved almost the price of one whole person by doing it ourselves, and we managed to enjoy it fully!

The third day, despite the rain still quite cheery, we gave the rainbow reef snorkelling tour worth $90 per person a chance. It promised around 4 hours of excursion, with guide, lunch (we had heard this would be held on an island close to the reef). We left late, about half an hour, I remember looking at my watch(9.30), and were in the water by 10.30. That’s all fine by me, i was enjoying myself, saw dolphins, and was looking forward to my first snorkel experience.

All of the masks I tried (3) were leaking, with water coming in at the nose and around the eyes. My partner who has snorkelled before had the same problem. Despite changing the masks, it didnt improve so we decided to just make the most of it. After about 20-25 minutes our guide left us alone in the water after he got cramps. No guidance any more. We stayed in the water about 40 minutes longer until we got out. Our lunch was immediately served on board, in the rain. Tea, same lemonade and cheese and tomato sandwiches. No island visit, only one hour and a half in the water and immediately back. By 12.30 we were back at the resort, so we de facto had one hour of our excursion less. The guide and the captain were nice enough, but they were very absent. I wouldn't say I struggled, but as a first timer, I would have liked some coaching to be able to enjoy it more. And I would have appreciated more time at the reef, or better said: my money’s worth.

When we got back we booked a $40 massage (per person), to last an hour. I went first. The ‘masseur’ spread oil on my back, my legs and my arms, pinched me a bit, rubbed it out a bit, put on some more oil. After forty minutes he quit. I was too amazed by the audacity and complete shambles of this experience to say anything. It was without a doubt the worst massage I ever had. Or the worst non-massage ever. If i want to smear coconut oil on my legs I’ll do it myself.

My partner did get the full hour massage (from a woman) but she was utterly disappointed. The only conclusion we could come to was that the two people brought in to do the backrubs are without any training or experience whatsoever. I honestly had the feeling that my masseur was afraid to touch my skin.

The food at the resort is woeful. Breakfast is minute and severely overpriced. A bowl of around 70gr of muesli with about 30gr of yogurt accompanied with a few cubes of watermelon and pineapple from a can (i used to be a cook and am still quite good at estimating weights of food) cost us $10 fjd each. The waiters and waitresses all seem to be bad humoured, leading my partner, who lives in Fiji and is accustomed to the mores and manners of the country to think they must really hate the clientèle. Only two or three of the staff are sincerely friendly including one girl wih purple hair. We had dinner here once, to see what they could come up with. My partner received the worst fish lolo of her life, tasting of salt instead of coconut which cost $18fjd. My chicken fried rice at $12 fjd was what I consider daylight robbery despite the limited cost.

To make up for the poor massage, we were offered breakfast in compensation. Small effort on their behalf.

What can I say in conclusion. The resort is beautiful, even in the rain, the grounds are well kept, and the rooms are nice and clean. I wouldn’t hesitate to sleep here again. It is however quite incompetent in providing services. We were overcharged for one excursion, robbed one hour of another excursion and were conned into believing they knew how to organise a massage. On top of that the food was overpriced and qualitatively speaking very poor. I would say, try your luck elsewhere for the excursions and food but don’t hesitate for lodgings.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natsirt N
the_fiji_islander, Public Relations Manager at Maravu Taveuni Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2016

Bula Natsirt,

Thanks for the positive feedback and apologies for the negative issues. Your comments have been shared with our team and we appreciate the opportunity to enhance our guest experience.

For travellers seeking to experience the island on absolute minimum budget, we completely agree with you. Travelling around and exploring on local buses is great, but please note the local Taveuni buses have a very limited schedule and operate with less the perfect punctuality. We can recommend this option only for travellers with ample time to spare. Many of our guest's prefer to experience Taveuni attractions as a day trip, so our Activities Team has created a range of great trips. Although they are about twice the price of making your own way on the local buses, they include a minibus charter, a friendly, knowledgeable local guide and lunch. Considering the added value, the vast majority of our guests find the rates to be fair and reasonable. In any case, we will use your comments to improve and enhance our excursions.

And thanks for the range of other comments. We are happy to announce that our amazing new Kitchen boss has arrived this week, so we warmly welcome for you to return one day and experience the delicious new range of meals on offer at the Plantation Cafe :)

Vinaka and happy travels,

the maravu team

Reviewed August 17, 2016

From the first moment the service was realy good.
Oure Pure was clean, friendly and with a beautiful view.
Its about 5min from the small airport, the Lodge is surrounded by palms three minutes away from the beach on a small hilltop overlooking the sea.
Ervery Day you can to realy cool Trips with the best Guids (Raffa) and I think the price is also ok.
Each evening is Kava Party with realy good songs from the Staff (especially the Papaya Song)

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple