“Peaceful Getaway!”

Ranked #1 of 4 George Town B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Peaceful Getaway!”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I'm glad I looked at the photos here on Tripadvisor, I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. The room was very comfortable and I even liked the decor! Such a great time without a lot of unnecessary noise, the staff was kind and friendly, helpful even. I missed the opportunity to go out on an all day tour, so the Renee in the dining room suggested I go to Stocking Island and hang out at Chat and Chill, I took her up on the suggestion and had the best time on the beach there!! If you visit this island, Exuma, I recommend you stay at Augusta Bay…and visit Chat and Chill!! You shouldn't be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank MustTravelMore2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Paris, France
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Let's go straight to the point: in my culture, what they did to us is called a rip off.
May be in other cultures this is acceptable, I let you judge.
We checked out at 1200PM and they charged us 50USD for late check-out because the normal check-out time is 1100AM.
BUT
- they never told us, particularly during the check-in, that the normal time to check-out is 1100AM
- they never told us that even ONE hour extra would be charged 50USD
- it is not written in the room
- when I told the lady at the check-out counter that I do not want to pay these 50USD, she told us that anyway it is already charged on our credit card: they had processed the credit card charging even before showing me the bill
- when I showed surprised about that, she told us that, when she took her shift, the manager had told her to prepare the bill including the 50USD for late check-out. How on earth, at 0800 AM did the manager know that we would check-out late
- when I asked to talk to the manager, he was conveniently not reachable

Otherwise:
- the staff is very nice and helpful
- the room is ok and confortable (we took a sea view room)
- the sea is just a stone throw away from your balcony but there is no beach at high tide
- the food is just ok and their continental breakfast is really poor

Erick

3 Thank Dinha_et_Erick
sweetle, Owner at Augusta Bay Bahamas, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
This scathing review from Dinha et Erich is completely unjustified. We state very clearly in our guest information book, located in every room, that check out is 11am. The majority of hotels in the Bahamas have a check out time of 11am because the majority of flights coming to the Bahamas from the US arrive between 11am and 2pm. On Great Exuma every flight arriving from the mainland US or Canada arrives between 12.30pm and 1.30pm. Rooms have to be ready for arriving guests, who after a long journey, wish to check into their rooms and begin their vacation. Cleaning staff are scheduled to have all rooms prepared by 1.00pm for arriving guests. The labor laws of the Bahamas state very clearly that staff who stay later than their scheduled work time (no matter if it is a 5 hour work day) are entitled to overtime for staying later - hence the penalty for late check out. If guests have a late flight to Nassau, we offer storage facilities for luggage and changing facilities. The complainant told the cleaning lady to 'come back later' when she tried to make them aware that they had passed the checkout time. They eventually checked out at 12.26 pm. I guess we would also have received a scathing report from the complainant if, when they first arrived at the hotel, their rooms were not ready. In order to show good faith, we have refunded the $50 penalty to the guest.
michigan
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I just returned from Exuma and had a wonderful stay at August Bay. I spent 4 nights here in room 206, a queen bed room on the second floor. I took a chance and bought a Groupon Getaway for Augusta Bay never having used a travel Groupon before, the price was such a great value I had to try it! I am so glad I did because Augusta Bay has gorgeous water views from each of the 16 rooms and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. After purchasing the Groupon, I emailed the hotel and made my reservation. The front desk staff, Pam & Tonya, were both very helpful prior to my arrival. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the property is upon my arrival. The public areas of the small hotel - the restaurant, bar, and pool area are kept very clean and neat and the landscaping is very pretty. Once you step inside the property you will be surrounded by peace and quiet and the beautiful turquoise water views. Each of the 16 rooms has an outdoor patio or balcony with great views. In my room, the furniture was not fancy but the mattress was extremely comforatable and the room was adequate. The bathroom was on the small side and the vanity had one sink but it was remodeled and the tiled walk in shower was nice. For the price, this is a good value. Remember each room is only about 50 steps to the water and has great views. I do not like A/C so I turned it off and opened the sliding door and left it open for all 4 of the days/nights I was there. The breezes off the water were fantastic and they kept the bugs away. The ceiling fan over the bed was nice. This is the kind of hotel where you can totally relax and be casual. It is a quiet, peaceful place. I have high cleanliness standards and my only complaint was the room had the potential to be a little cleaner with better training of their housekeeping staff. When we return to Exuma, we would definitely stay here again, but next time I will reserve on of their King rooms becuase they are the nicest rooms with the best views. Definitely eat at their Friday night Bahamian buffet. It is an excellent value at $25 and we enjoyed Salad, Bread, Conch Choder, BBQ Ribs, Chicken, Grouper, Mac n Cheese, Rice with Pigeon Peas, other items, and dessert! It was really delicious and well prepared and a steal at that price because food is much more expensive when you are in the islands. We also loved our stay here becuase it is a short cab ride to the dock where Elvis's Water Taxi takes you to Stocking Island which is AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS. We spent a day there and while swimming, we were joined by two wild dolphins!!!! Another tip is walk down the beach to the left of the hotel and you can get to Jolly Hall Beach, another gorgeous beach for swimming. Go to Augusta Bay for a tropical getaway that is low key and relaxing. The staff is really nice!

Room Tip: King Rooms are the nicest but all 16 rooms have a view of the water.
3 Thank hobiecatsailor
Clermont, Georgia
Reviewed November 21, 2013

On the spur of the moment, my wife and I jumped on a Groupon deal to Augusta Bay. The reviews we read were very positive and the price was right. The staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area.
The rooms were stylish and comfortable and views wonderful. Most of the rooms had balconies and great views of the bay.
The food prices on the island are a little high, but that's to be expected. The restaurant was good but not great. Most meals we went to a local place five minute walk from the hotel. The place was called Shirley's. She was a chef at the Four Seasons before it became Sandals.
There are fun excursions to the other islands including the one with the Four Cs. Around the corner from the hotel is one of the prettiest beaches we have ever seen called Jolly Hall.
The bar in the hotel is a magnet for a lot of the locals and on Friday night they open the beach bar and it is packed with people who live on the island or have boats anchored there.
One local that you should try to meet is named Lovey. She came to the Exumas about 50 years ago and has skippered boats and done a host of other things. She is a great character and a lot of fun.
John, the manager, is a gem. If there is a problem he jumps right on it. Be careful he has a dry wit and will spoof you without you knowing it.
Overall, this was a great experience and we would definitely go back.

3 Thank larrybecker
Calgary
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Small hotel with 16 rooms and great management and food. We had such an awesome time we plan to return to same place next year. Very restful, lots to do in a week. Rent a car and get 38 miles north and 31 miles south to experience the whole island and its people.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Pearl G
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I loved the location of this place! Beautiful property. Very accomodating staff. John, the manager went above and beyond to help us . Loved our stay, wish it could've been longer. Really enjoyed our room, 207 and the view from the balcony. wonderfully petite property with an adorable guard dog.. Augusta:) He's wonderful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank casforte
Danvers, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I just spent 12 days at August Bay. This was by far one of the most memorable, relaxing trip we have taken and we have traveled quite a lot. All that was said by previous reviewers is very accurate. Great continental breakfast, beautiful breathtaking views (we were in 208 with king bed) the nicest staff anywhere. The dinners were the best on the island. We rented a 17 foot Whaler from "Minns" in downtown Exuma (which is only 1 mile to walk or a $10 cab ride). The hotel allowed us to park the boat at the end of the dock which was so convenient. Each day we would walk to Jolly Hall beach, swim, and then come back for a wonderful breakfast (we would order one hot breakfast and share it since the continental was included) and then take off for the day snorkeling, hiking, chilling on Stocking Island and Elizabeth Harbour. The staff - can't say enough about Pam, Tanya, Glenn and John.
The Friday night party at Frankie B's is great fun. You will chat with locals who have moved to Great Exuma plus the boaters that are starting to come and stay in the harbour for the winter.
The restaurant next door at Exuma Beach Hotel called Lattitudes also has great food and music several nights. Take the $160 Exuma Cay tour with 4 C's. It is a great deal - all day 7:30 - 5:30 where they pick you up at the hotel, drive to the end of the Island and then off 60 miles up the Exuma Cays to swim with the pigs, sharks and visit Thunderball Grotto. Lunch at Staniel Cay Yacht Club was wonderful and the Grotto is outstanding. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: 208 King is on the top floor at the very end ocean side. Best View, very quiet. Rooms have beautifu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#4 of 13 in Great Exuma

Been to Augusta Bay Bahamas? Share your experiences!