“Back for a Third Time!”

Augusta Bay Bahamas
Ranked #1 of 5 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We cannot say enough about Augusta Bay. The rooms are clean & beautifully decorated, the staff is amazing, the food was excellent (even catering to food allergies etc) - The views, from all rooms are breathtaking - They just want you to be happy - and they delivered...yet again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank canadianbuffy

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Im not normally one for writing a review - but had such a wonderful time I felt compelled to write one!!
We booked our Wedding breakfast & Honeymoon stay with Augusta Bay over 6 months ago - having arranged our wedding ceremony at our friends private house/Beach on little exuma.
Most of the wedding party stayed at Augusta bay & all had only good things to say.
On our second day Hurricane Sandy decided to show up - which put our wedding plans into dissarray - we had arranged with people on the island for a wedding cake & flowers but 2 days before the wedding both these got cancelled! but in stepped the manager Betty! she was totally amazing and sorted everything - much to our relief!
The wedding food for 21 guests - which was served on Frankie Bananas outside - was fantastic, a really good variety of things - if you are pondering a wedding here do it! its a fantastic venue! great people & beautiful souroundings.
During our week stay for the honeymoon - all the staff were really good & helpful anything we asked for got sorted.
Special thanks also go for John for taking his time out to show us about and offer advice about the island.
Its a small hotel with a great family feel to it - it sits well with the laid back & quiet feel to Exuma.
All in all i cant find any fault
Rooms clean - comfy beds - good bathrooms & quality furniture
Location is good near the fish fry and 1 mile out of George Town
- I certainly will be back to Exuma with my wife in the near future.
A big thankyou to all the guys at Augusta bay & see you soon
Dan & Gemma

Room Tip: all the rooms good - we had 108 & 208 both close to water
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

In addition to the review about problems with getting a refund, I also had to cancel my trip to Augusta Bay in September, through no fault of the hotels, and I also requested a refund, however they did also inform me that their machine was down, and through my prior experiences on Exuma I am aware that things can move a little more slowly than other places but hey youre supposed to be on holiday.
However After a few days they did seem to get the bank to sort things out for them and they promptly refunded me my stay, so to be fair to them I genuinely feel that they are an honset sincere group of folks even though I did not have the opportunity to stay with them this time I hope to do so in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last fall and I thought it was nice, clean neat. Nothing special, but more along the lines of a true Caribbean experience. The restaurant on site has good food and the small bar was charming. We booked a return trip for 10 day in November and now are not able to make the trip. The reservation was canceled on 9/11/12 and I can't seem to get my refund. I've called the resort twice, the last time on September 20th and am still waiting on a return call. I agree this place is cute and a great option, but be wary if you have to cancel as getting your money back is an absolute frustrating chore!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
sweetle, Owner at Augusta Bay Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Unfortunately our credit card machine was 'down' for a period of 20 days (these situations occur periodically in the islands of the Bahamas and receiving replacement machines are a nightmare) and all transactions were processed manually or we accepted cash payment. We have apologizes profusely to the client for letting this refund 'slip under the radar'. The client has been refunded in full, including the cancellation fee.
Ian Wright

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The hotel's sign states 4 star luxury accomodations. I do not believe a hotel should rate itself. At the most I would give it 3.5 stars and omit the "luxury".

The room itself was in no way luxurious. The towel handle broke on the 2nd day of our stay and appeared as though there was a prior attempt to fix it. The color schemes of the room are dark and do not match the beautiful waters of the island. The brown overthrow, brown comforter and sheets all had bodily fluid stains and the sheets had several body hairs so I am unsure if the sheets were changed before we arrived. What is ironic is that the hotel pamphlet states that you have to pay $100 if you stain any of the bed linens. The robes in the bathroom are uncomfortable and are crusty from you know what. The toiletries provided are scarce and subpar. The shampoo was watered down and so I had to use my own which luckily I brought. There was no conditioner provided so I asked the housekeeper and she gave me conditioner from The Atlantis. It's a good idea to bring your own soap, shampoo and conditioner.

On a positive note, all the rooms have a very upclose view of the bay and Stocking Island. You should definately take the 5 minute walk to Jolly Beach. It's goregeous! Also, should you rent a car, take a ride to Little Exuma's Tropic of Cancer Beach. There is only one road that goes around the island so you cannot get lost and if you do everyone on the island is very friendly and gracious. Also, the hotel staff is very friendly! The rooms are reasonably priced in part because we went on the off-season and because it is located on th e bay and not a beach so it can only demand so much in price.

You should also take a water taxi to Stocking Island which is a 5 minute ride and visible from the hotel. Here you will find Chat n' Chill which serves great food. The food in George Town is not that great. I would not recommend renting a boat because you can just as easily take a water taxi wherever you like and spend the whole day there. Renting a boat at Minn's in downtown Georgetown can run you around 150-175 or more a day depending on the size, not including the fuel which is very expensive.

**Bring your own snacks from home because should you get hungry after 9pm, NOTHING will be open.

There is a cluster of huts which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel called "The Fish Fry". You can order pizza here which costs $20 and will take 45 minutes to prepare. Service is very slow and expensive on the island so be prepared to wait!

There were there incidents where we were ripped off/attempted to get ripped off. In one restaurant down in Georgetown, the waiter added and additional $10 to the tab on top of the 15% that is automatically given by law. Just think of how many tourists he must try this with and how many do not pay attention to their bill. At the hotel, the waiter shorted us $2 in change, but that could have been an oversight. We'll never know. And at Chat n' Chill, the waiters will tell you try this and that as a way of getting you to pay for many extras. Beware and pay attention to your bill!

The taxi fees are supposedly government regulated so there is no bargaining with the taxi drivers. It cost us $30 for the 10 minute ride from the airport to the hotel so we rented a car at $50 a day (which the airport brought to our hotel) and then drove back to the airport on the last day. This is much more cost efficient plus you get to see the island on your own terms. Ask the reception about the car rental. They will place the call for you. Just know that the cars are very basic and are not in the best of shape but they work which is all that matters.

Most of the tourists stayed at Sandals All-inclusive Resort which I understand is very nice, but pricey. This may be an alternative if money is no object to you,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
sweetle, Owner at Augusta Bay Bahamas, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

The comments made by Yvette8westfieldNJ are amazing! 99% of our guests rave about the decor and cleanliness of our rooms - as can be seen by previous reviews. Our rooms are inspected daily by our manager, after housekeeping have completed their chores. Our front desk is open from 7am - 10.30pm and we have absolutely no record (all complaints are recorded in a log) of a complaint from Yvette8westfieldNJ. Our toiletries are of the highest quality, purchased from American Hotel Register Company and are all sealed and individually packaged. To suggest that they are watered down is ludicrous. The shampoo/conditioner is one bottle, as is the norm in many hotels and supermarkets worldwide. We are in the business of hospitality and do our utmost to please all of our guests. If we are not made aware of their complaints, there is very little that we can do to resolve a problem.
Ian Wright

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Each room has a view of the water and pool from their private balcony. There are only 16 rooms, the bottom floor has the King suites and the top has the Queen suites. They moved us to a King after our door lock stopped working on the second floor. We actually got trapped in the room and had to call down to some sunbathing guests at the pool to tell the front desk. The property is small but has a lot nearby. The staff is very helpful in arranging outings or rentals. My only complaint was the staff during the dinner time. The waitress was hardly audible, service was slow, food overpriced, and not the best quality overall. The kayaks they had available had seen some days, parts were missing. The second day using the kayak, we capsized 8 times, water had come inside the kayak's body, it was impossible to drag it out to the shore. The beach is not the nicest on the island but it is still pristine compared to FL beaches. The hotel room had nice bedding, a mini fridge, plenty of storage, cable and very nicely decorated bathrooms. Overall we had a great time. It was a steal using the Groupon deal I found.

Room Tip: Make sure they give you a room with a mini fridge, the first room we had did not have one. Also make...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We went to Exuma in June to get married on the beach and first rented a house for the week. After a disastrous night, we got up early Sunday morning to look for a hotel. Thank goodness for Fodors for its recommendation of the Augusta Bay. We were lucky to find rooms for the week and could not have been happier with our choice. Sitting at the bar that afternoon, we told the bartender we were going to apply for our wedding license in the morning and he gave me the name and number for a reverand who would do the service beach or poolside. The entire staff went out of its way make sure we had everything in place and were happy we included them in after-wedding reception. It was a tiny wedding and I did get my barefoot-on-the-beach wedding. Since they have their own dock, a water taxi can pick you up right in front of the hotel. It is also very close to the fish fry. Food is excellent and although they have a small set menu, the chef offers a few specials each night. The staff is so friendly and super helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in George Town
Regatta Point
Regatta Point
#3 of 15 in Great Exuma

Been to Augusta Bay Bahamas? Share your experiences!