“BEST HOTEL OF MY WHOLE TRIP!”
Review of Hotel Luna Azul

Hotel Luna Azul
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ostional
Zurich, Switzerland
“BEST HOTEL OF MY WHOLE TRIP!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel, best place I stayed at during my 3 weeks trip through CR. My bungalow was beautifully decorated, very spacious and super private. It was so relaxing to sit on my terrace with it's splendid view, observing the Monkeys and colourful birds. Pura vida! After the daily sunset cocktail in the pool - what an ocean view! - I enjoyed dinner every evening in the elegant restaurant. Everything super fresh, from the crispy salads to the catch of the day fish (the Pargo rojo was my favourite) and the incredibly tasty and tender beef filet - heaven on earth! Roberto, the waitor, always had a smile on his face and did an excellent job. Rolf and Andreas, the owners, are always around and very helpful, they literally are reading the wishes off their guests eyes. They organized a guided turtle tour on the nearby Ostional refuge beach - what a spectacle of nature to see this mass of turtles, unforgettable. And the whole body massage open air on my terrace was better than anything I had at home. The Luna Azul is a little piece of heaven on earth and my new number 1 of favourite vacation places. Can't wait to be back!
Ginabella, Switzerland

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
California
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is a beautiful property. The 4 of us shared a bungalow with a cute outdoor shower and nice balcony. The hosts, Rolf and Andreas were extremely warm and helpful throughout our stay, making sure we got to our tour (to see the nesting turtles on the beach) on time etc. The food at the restaurant was excellent, and highly recommended even if you were not staying at the hotel. We had the special new year dinner of fondue chinoise (a Swiss tradition, according to Rolf). Although it was a somewhat pricey experience, it was quite enjoyable. The included breakfast was massive, and very tasty too.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this fantastic small boutique hotel in October 2012. I completely relied on the reviews from tripadvisor to make the decision not only to come to Ostional, but to also stay at Luna Azul- and I can say that everything lived up to expectations! We flew into San Jose, rented a car from Vamos and drove straight to the hotel in the same day. It was rainy season, so we had to take the longer route from the north to the hotel. The roads to the hotel were a bit adventurous for us and the trip took us a really long time (5-ish hours) and it got dark before we got to the hotel. Let's just say, for us city people, I started freaking out a bit. When it's dark in CR, it's DARK. But we trusted the GPS (rent the GPS!) and eventually arrived at Luna Azul and once we walked into the open air lobby, I literally felt the stress melt off my body (it was a long day of travel starting at 3:30 am in Chicago). There is just something about the property that feels comfortable and welcoming, and the owners, Rolf and Andreas, have a lot to do with that. They are charming and full of great advice and stories. Trust anything they tell you to do- including about the turtles!

We had a bungalow facing the ocean (peep view, but still beautiful) and the room is what I'd call 'casually luxurious'. The property is impeccably manicured, but in a tasteful and natural way. The pool has an amazing view of the ocean and swimming in it is a great way to end your day after exploring the area. I would recommend renting a car if you're going to stay here because there is nothing that you can walk to from the hotel. And while we are city people used to walking places, I wouldn't consider this a drawback. There is NO reason to eat dinner or breakfast anywhere but here, because the food was amazing (and we apparently didn't even get to eat from their full-time chef!). The property and the bungalow lends itself well to relaxing and lounging and just taking in the scenery.

We spent our days traveling to nearby beaches/towns (Nosara, Playa Carillo, Playa San Juanillo- my fav!) and racing to the town of Ostional to see the turtles! One night, we got to watch the sunset from their black sand beach, and while the turtles didn't show, it was one of the best sunsets I've ever seen. They finally showed up early the next morning and we got to see them nest! I will say, while I was thankful to see mother nature at its finest, it was a bit disconcerting to see so many OTHER humans there as well. I wish we (the humans) could have been a bit more removed from the beach area while the mothers were doing their thing, but I guess we must learn to co-exist.

Overall, the hotel and the area was a fantastic experience. We stayed at another hotel during our stay in CR, and it just didn't feel the same. It didn't feel special. If you are fortunate enough to be in the northwest region of CR, you should definitely stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow facing the ocean, but all bungalows are private and have their charms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KendricksOnTheMove
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Hotel Luna Azul is an exceptional boutique hotel. It is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beautiful Ostional area. The resident owners, Rolf and Andreas are the consummate hosts who unreservedly share their wonderful warm hospitality and remarkable knowledge of Costa Rica, Ostional and the nature surrounding the hotel with their guests. They are witty, professional and seemingly never ending in their quest to make your stay at the hotel, that they so lovingly built from the ground up, the best it can possibly be.

The hotel is a jewel in the jungle, elegant without being stuffy. There are only 7 casitas which are thoughtfully placed to ensure privacy and views. The casitas are spacious and well appointed, and those outdoor showers!!!! We woke each morning to the sounds of nature – howler monkeys right at our balcony, and birdsong. Gardens are lush, the pool area is spectacular and feels very much like you are a guest in a very lovely private home.

The food is of the highest standard and locally sourced whenever possible. Rolf and Andreas will also organize tours offered in the surrounding area. We were celebrating a girlfriend’s birthday and Rolf organized a boat trip for us to view the turtles and to look for whales, dolphins and other marine life. He sent a lovely tray of snacks and a selection of drinks with us. Andreas escorted us to the boat and ensured that we were introduced to the Captain and had whatever we needed before we set off on our trip. We felt very well looked after indeed. This is only one example of the careful attention that was paid to us during our stay.

If you are looking for a special place to stay for a day, a week or a month, the Luna Azul is highly recommended. Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deb082
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We travelled costa rica in december 2013 with the flexi-drive program of costarican trails for three weeks. During our visit of the peninsula of nicoya we stayed for two nights at the luna azul. It is the perfect spot for whoever likes a quiet personal atmosphere. Our bungalow was really spacious with a huge terrace and a wonderful view on the surrounding woods and a glimpse at the pacific ocean.
Breakfast and dinner were probably the best we have had during our whole trip. All the meals are cooked a la minute with only fresh ingredients, whereas owner Rolf if possible stands in the kitchen as a chef himself.
Both him and Andreas show a warm welcome to everyone and convey a feeling of familiarity!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have traveled throughout the world and Hotel Luna Azul is one of my favorite places I've ever stayed. The owners are staff are accommodating, friendly and you can tell they know and love Ostional. This place is a true gem and a must-stay when you're in Ostional. From breathtaking views to delicious foods and amazing outdoor showers for each room, this hotel is proves to be an outstanding experience, one you don't want to miss on your next Costa Rica vacation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
College Station, Texas
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

I have traveled all over the world and throughout Costa Rica and this hotel is hands down the best place I have stayed. The owners and their staff are fabulous. The food was sublime. The views and ambience are stunning. Accommodations are outstanding. Don't miss the opportunity to spend time here. It is a very special place.

Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ostional
Azul Ocean Club Hotel
Hotel Capitan Suizo
Hotel Capitan Suizo
#3 of 22 in Tamarindo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,205 reviews

Been to Hotel Luna Azul? Share your experiences!