“Garden of Eden.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ostional
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Garden of Eden.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and children, 7 and 9 August 2012 for two nights. My first impression was that this was the Garden of Eden. It was amazing. The food was fabulous. I loved the fish. I had it both nights. I also loved their black beans with rice. Andreas made arrangements for me to go see the Olive Ridely turtles come on shore at midnight. I didn't see any turtles, but it was still a very cool experience. We saw a huge swarm of ants. Andreas explained that the ants were moving to a new location. We saw only one howler monkey. Wish we had seen more. We went to the local beach that Andreas told us about. We had the beach to ourselves. The sand, the mountains and water together made for a beautiful scenery. I'm looking at the pictures and reminiscing.

We were not prepared for how long the drive was from San Juan. The road are unpaved and you do drive through little streams. Andreas was amused when we said we didn't want to drive through the streams at night to see the turtles. That is when he arranged a ride for me.

We went during the rainy season, but saw no rain during the two day we were there, yet everything was so lush. As others have mentioned in their review, the bathroom is completely outside. There are walls there for privacy, but it does not keep out the bugs in the room. We did have little mosquitos and ants creeping into the room. We would rather not have shared our room with the bugs, but this was part of the adventure of staying at this hotel.

The two days we were there, we had the place to ourselves. My children loved swimming in their pool. I was however very aware that we were staying in a place that Rolf and Andreas are consider home. I kept a close eye on them so they didn't walk around with bare feet around the eating areas and minded their manners. I hope I did a good job.

Don't know if we will come back, there is so much of the world left to see, but I'm glad we went to the Hotel Luna Azul. I'm going to post some pictures.

Room Tip: This is a good romantic hotel if you like nature. All rooms have amazing views-some of the ocean an...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Hotel Luna Azul was as good as all the reviews indicted it would be. Rolf and Andreas are terrific hosts and were very patient with our many questions - they helped with everything from car rental advice to beach recommendations. The rooms were immaculate and spacious, and the view from ours (an "ocean view room") was great. We loved seeing and hearing the howler monkeys from the balcony. The grounds/gardens were lush and well taken care of, and the restaurant and pool area was relaxing and beautiful. And the food - well let's just say that in most Costa Rican hotels, we've felt a sense of dread at what we might find at mealtime. But the Luna Azul menu was a delight - fresh daily specials from delicious local ingredients - every meal was really, really good. When we are back to the Nosara/Ostinal area, this is where we'll be staying!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zofingen, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

When you drive up the small hill on which this hotel is located the first time, you would never expect to find such a beautiful and peaceful place like the Luna Azul. The owners, Andreas and Rolf, accorded us a hearty welcome with a delicious, fresh mixed cocktail and some jokey small talk. They also gave us some informative and helpful tips for trips. But the moment when I had to catch my breath the first time was, when I saw the overwhelming view from my balcony. I've never seen such a beautiful panorama view. The monkeys were sitting every morning directly above the balcony in the trees.
The pool, bar and restaurant area offers you lots of possibilities to calm down, drink a fresh cocktail, enjoy the sunset or swim some leads. Although this area is open, we never had the feeling to be disturbed or observed. The whole Luna Azul crew always give their best to make you feel comfortable.
Furthermore there is to say, that we have never eaten better during our journey, than at the Luna Azul. For breakfast we got always some fresh fruits, self made yoghurt, gallo pinto, ect. It was absolutly delicious and always a good reason to get up for. ;) About the dinner there is nothing else to say. No matter if it was fish, meat, vegetables, dessert or whatelse, I would die for every single meal we had at the Luna Azul.
Additionally the whole Luna Azul team was always very courteous and kind. Thank you Andreas and Rolf for making our stay not just fanstatic but absolutly amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Woodside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We loved our stay. Everything was perfect- the rooms, grounds, pool, view, staff, food and drinks. The hotel is intimate and well thought out. Rolf was so sweet with our 7 and 9yr old- let them help in the kitchen one night. We are definitely returning in 2014.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is my idea of paradise. Beautiful views, lush landscape, spacious rooms and fabulous food . The hosts are gracious and very helpful in arranging excursions or pointing you to areas of interest. We visited a waterfall that is mostly frequented by locals . They also have a small but exquisite gift shop that had some of the best Costa Rican crafts I have seen (came home with 3 pieces). I have stayed here twice and plan to come back whenever I am in Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

No words to describe the feel of Hotel Luna Azul. The accommodations are lovely-- so clean, tranquil and comfortable, and the restaurant and pool are PERFECT! I will always remember Rolf who was an incredibly conscientious host. I was pinching myself in disbelief when he sat with my 11-year-old to help her with her Spanish homework. This is surely a place like no other.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Throughout our recent trip to Costa Rica, our party of ten consistently recounted our memories and experiences at the Hotel Luna Azul as a major highlight. We loved the accommodations, as the owners were able to maintain a feeling of natural tranquility and local charm while providing a good level of comfort. We did not opt for the additional A/C and did get a little hot by the end of the day, but we loved waking up with fresh air. I was able to do some exercises in the morning on our private balcony, and a group of howler monkeys decided to visit the trees right adjacent to two of the rooms, so that was very exciting to witness! We visited 3 beaches from our visit--Playa Nosara, where we enjoyed surfing for the first time, Playa Ostional--a black sand beach--where we unfortunately did not get to see turtles due to the full moon and dry season combination, and Playa San Juanillo, a cove-like beach area where we enjoyed an amazing boat ride, and you have to ask for Captain Mike by asking locals where to find him. I want to mention the astounding quality and service we experienced. We were really blown away. I especially loved the avocado and shrimp salad, the mango and avocado salad, and the fresh local fish. The kids loved the breakfasts and, in particular, the fresh fruit and homemade jam make with 6 local fruits. It was a lovely stay that will have a lasting impression on our family, and it is the one place that I'd really love to return to someday soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jade618
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ostional
Azul Ocean Club Hotel
Cala Luna Luxury Boutique Hotel & Villas
Harmony Hotel Nosara
Harmony Hotel Nosara
#4 of 23 in Nosara

Been to Hotel Luna Azul? Share your experiences!