“paradise in Costa Rica”
Review of Hotel Luna Azul

Hotel Luna Azul
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ostional
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Our stay at Luna Azul was a beautiful oasis in our busy Costa Rica trip. The setting, the hosts, the phenomenal meals, were all far more than we expected. When I think back on our Costa Rican travels, Luna Azul was my favorite hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms--one in the woods with a great view of the monkeys, and the other looking out...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 28, 2013

While I have never had the pleasure of staying in one of the rooms at this beautiful little boutique hotel, I have enjoyed numerous meals at its wonderful restaurant the past several years during our visits to the area. In fact, it was my choice as the perfect place to celebrate my 50th birthday! It is without a question the best restaurant in the area -- a precious gem discovered in the wilderness. The ambiance is warm and friendly and you can almost always expect a visit from one or both of the gracious hosts, Rolf and Andreas, They are living their dream in Costa Rica and their warmth and happiness is infectious. You are made to feel like family. And the food... there's nothing like it in the Nosara area. In an area where the closest paved road is probably 100KM away, the food will make you think you are in a great European city. Fresh, creative and delicious! Yet, instead of being in a major city, you are sitting in an open-air space in the gorgeous Costa Rica wilderness listening to the music of howler monkeys and geckos. I am counting the days until I can return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel lies on a hill a few kilometres above the Ostional coast. It consists of a main building and several guest cottages arranged on the hill, providing privacy. The rooms are furnished quite simply; our deck was facing the jungle; toilet and shower are outdoors, but everything is unexposed to views from the outside. The main building has a dining area and a lobby facing the pool, the gardens and a great ocean view. Guests ranged from young young families up to people well in their 80s, from many different countries, which only added to the the athmosphere. Although not fancy, this is a lovely place - the enthusiasm with which the owners take care of their business took it far above the other places we had stayed in Costa Rica. We got good advices what to see and had a very nice trip arranged on a small fishing boat to see turtles and olphins. Really great was the food: there was a changing menu of local and international dishes every night, which were the best we had in all of Costa Rica during our two weeks stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I chose this hotel due to favorable reviews on trip advisor and its location near the Turtle nesting beach. It was a magnificent experience. Rolf was an amazing host. I think the guy speaks at least 5 languages fluently. How is that even possible? Anyway the guests when we were there seemed to be mostly European families, though I believe there were also a few other folks from the USA as well. The food at breakfast and dinner was amazing. We did not order a single thing at dinner that was not delicious. The bartender was always happy to bring out drinks to us in the infinity pool. I found the food and drinks to be very reasonably price (as well as the room rate for that matter) when compared to the rest of our Costa Rica experience. The most memorable part of the visit? The entire bathroom is outside! How cool is that? Rolf said that some people actually complain about this??? C'mon, live life a little, there nothing but trees and wildlife out there. We absolutely loved the outdoor shower concept. When you are there you MUST see the olive-ridley sea turtles. If you respect nature at all, this is an experience you do not want to miss. The image of all the turtles pulling themselves back to the sea in the darkness after laying is one I shall never forget. We also did the river tour (awesome if you are a bird watcher) and did swimming with the turtles (honestly this one we could take or leave, it was a little expensive for what it was, and I felt a little like we were harassing them after a hard nights work of laying eggs). Im told they often see dolphins too, but we didn't see any. Instead I wish we would have done some deep sea fishing, but my wife tends to get sea sick! We also visited some of the local beaches. Rolf can point you to the good ones. A few cons you might want to consider..

Remoteness- rough roads in this region. Busted a tire, the gardener was a great help in helping put on the spare and a tire shop was close by. I would definitely recommend a rental car. I don't know how you would get here without one.

No tv- I didn't care about this too much but some people might. There's wi-fi in the bar area.

Bugs- the maid put fresh cut flowers in the towels to welcome us. Funny enough, the were loaded with these little flying insects that looked like little flying ants! We weren't mad about it, I thought it was comical. Off the back porch they went! There were also a few ants in the room. They seemed to have a little trail going our last night. It bothered my wife a little. I'm sure they would have come and sprayed if I asked. To me, when you visit a place in the tropics you are going to see bugs! It doesn't bother me.

No A/C- they will bring you a unit if you want. I didn't need one, the fan was enough for sleeping after spending the day in the hot sun.

Kids- not sure if it always has so many children or if this just happened to be a week when there were a few families with small children but one of them woke me up screaming about something at 6:30AM. I prefer the sound of howler monkeys!

Overall, I would highly recommend luna azul and would go back if I ever had the opportunity. They are tremendous hosts, the place is unique and the food is amazing. To me, turtle viewing alone makes it worth the trip!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before,but since this trip was different than the last...I thought I would write another review. As evident in my previous posts..I adore the Luna Azul. This year we brought another couple with us.I was concerned because I spoke so highly of the hotel and its owners Rolf and Andreas that I feared I had set expectations too high. I was also worried that they would not like the place I have come to think of as my special place. Well, they loved the Luna Azul as much as we did...whew! And they are also planning a return trip...I have passed along my addiction to another couple! If you want a great experience... Nature, service, comfort, food... This place has it all...go.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rnman
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed our first visit to Costa Rica. We lucked into the best place to stay in the country. After a very long drive on ungraded roads we reached the wonderful Hotel Luna Azul. I had hoped our destination would be worth the journey, and we weren't disappointed. The grounds are immaculate! The rooms are comfortable, clean, and private. We were lucky to have a room that overlooked the jungle but offered the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. The open air main building houses a beautiful restaurant, bar, and very nice sitting area. Rolf and Andreas are great hosts! They were attentive without being intrusive. They made us feel as though we were the most important people in the hotel, happily arranging our fishing and canopy tours and offering local knowledge about the area. I hope to return to this little piece of paradise!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you are looming for adventure off the beaten path and don't want to sacrifice luxury, choose Hotel Luna Azul.

This was out first trip to Costa Rica, and we stayed at Luna Azul and the Four Seasons. While the two hotels were quite different, they both offered wonderful service in equal measure in their own right.

We opted to have a package put together for us by Rolf and Andreas, the hotel owners. We saw the turtle arribata, got a massage on our balcony, took a river tour, rode horses, and went zip lining. All of these adventures were coordinated by our lovely hosts. I highly recommend letting them customize a tour for you. Even better, they arranged all the details so payment was part of the final bill. We didn't have to worry about a single thing.

The grounds of the hotel were unexpected in the wilds of Costa Rica. The infinity pool was amazing, the flowers and trees were lush, and the dining room, was beautiful. We were ready for adventure, so seeing giant grasshoppers and tarantulas only added to the exotic experience. In no way did I feel like we skimped on luxury. You could hear Howler Monkeys, plenty of exotic birds, and hear the ocean at night.

The rooms were wonderful and private. The outdoor shower was one my the highlights of my entire trip to Costa Rica. Rolf and Andreas were consummate hosts. They catered to our every need and wanted us to have only the best experience. The food in the restaurant was also unexpected in quality. Each meal was tasty and affordable. As part of our package, two dinners were included, and breakfast was part of the price. Each morning we were treated to a bowl of fruit, yogurt, eggs, and Tico rice.

We met many people over the course of our stay who were regulars to Luna Azul coming to see the turtles lay eggs in Ostional. They were typically staying for one night. I highly recommend if staying in the area, give Hotel Luna Azul a few nights to experience the full opportunities of the area.

I don't easily give a full five star rating, but this place deserves all of the five stars it gets.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ostional
Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge
Living Hotel
Living Hotel
#9 of 24 in Nosara
Tamarindo Bay Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Luna Azul? Share your experiences!