Hotel Luna Azul
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Azul Ocean Club Hotel(Playa Azul)
View Hotel
Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge(Nosara)
  • Pool
Living Hotel(Nosara)
View Hotel
All reviewsoutdoor showerinfinity poolcosta ricahowler monkeyseggsyogurtboutique hotelbreakfast and dinnerexcellent foodattention to detaileach morninga special placerental carpollorainy seasonblack labham
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had such a great time on our last stay at Luna Azul that we went back for an all-too-brief visit just before Christmas. Even though the booking engines like Orbitz showed them as full, I emailed Rolf and they were able to fit us in for two nights.One tip: email Rolf directly to book rooms. He will respond immediately or very shortly, and will answer any questions you have and help with special arrangements. The stay was as wonderful as before. The room (bungalow, really) was beautiful with the same view over the forest to the Pacific. The food was, if anything, even better than last time. The first night, I had a terrific shrimp in red curry sauce and my wife had local fish (pargo) in a lemon grass sauce. The next night we switched - I had the pargo in a herb butter sauce that was absolutely delicious, while Gladys had jumbo shrimp "Luna Azul" which she loved. Moving then to the terrace for creme brulee along with a special Swiss apple schnapps, accompanied by the distant sounds of the surf....get the picture? Perfection.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

For many years, seeing an Arribada has been on my bucket list. I could never quite get the timing right. Rolf has been so very helpful and patiently responded to my many notes and emails. By chance, there was an extra arribada during a full moon and I was able to make the drive to Ostional to see the turtles. After seeing the turtles, we went to Luna Azul and had a wonderful meal. The food was delicious and the selection was excellent! The selection of wines was very good. The gardens and ambiance was wonderful. Rolf recognized me as soon as I walked in and was such a welcoming host. I got a personalized tour of the gardens as well. They made us feel at home. We went back down to the beach to see the peak arrival time between 8-9pm before driving back to Playa Junquillal. I can't wait to see a really large Arribada and have dinner at Luna Azul again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We live in Costa Rica and wanted to stay a day in Ostional to see the turtles. Are we ever happy that we opted for Luna Azul! Rolf was very well informed about the arribadas the last few months and his info helped us see baby turtles getting to see in the afternoon and that same evening see the big ones lay eggs!

On his advice we went back very early the next morning for a breath taking experience in hundreds of turtles nesting and lots of newly hedged babies try to get to sea. Great photo opportunity!

We appreciated the well appointed rooms ( for example no need to crawl under a desk to plug in a phone or camera, a lovely outdoors shower), the tasty food and the very attentive and hospitable attitude of our hosts. We also loved their dog Fino.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Quite simply this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at in Costa Rica! Rolf and Andreas are very accommodating and their hotel is one of the most peaceful places you will find! The food at the hotel is amazing! We have made the trip to this area multiple times already this year to see turtles both laying and hatching, and should we return to this area we would certainly stay at this hotel. We travelled with our two children aged 10 and 7 and they to enjoyed their stay. I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This boutique hotel was a dream come true. We were fortunate enough to be able to spend three nights at this enchanted retreat. The owners Rolf and Andreas went out of their way to spoil us. We traveled to Ostional for the "arribada," a rare arrival of nesting Olive Ridley sea turtles in mass, and were blessed enough to time it correctly to witness it. Communication with Rolf before our trip helped to ensure we were there for the right dates. It was truly a dream come true. You are in private cabanas away from the main house where the pool and dining room were located. The cabanas had breathtaking views of the Pacific. There are options of air conditioning for a minimal additional fee as well. It is a bit of trek to the beaches but they are more than happy to help you get there if you decide not to walk it. Options for hotels are few and far between in Ostional, but this place leaves you wanting for no other option.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple