“The Turtle Lodge added to a wonderful experience”

Ostional Turtle Lodge
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the beginning of October 2013. The Turtle Lodge offers relatively simple yet adequate lodging on the edge of "downtown" Ostional. Our room had one double and one twin bed, both comfortable, plus a coffeemaker and small fridge along with a nice bathroom with spacious shower. The rooms also feature a reasonably-sized safe, which held our tablet and other valuables during our many excursions. We got one of the two rooms in the main bldg with a/c, figuring in part that during rainy season it would help to hasten our clothes' drying out. No tv, and no breakfast = no problem. With the fridge, we were able to store a few snacks, and the coffeemaker provided the necessary kickstart both mornings.

The main reason for our picking Ostional was to view the Arribada of hundreds of sea turtles returning to the town's beach to lay their eggs. Both mornings, we were up before 3:30 to head out to the beach and observe this amazing phenomenon. It was a short walk from the Lodge to the beach, where (with a flashlight equipped with a red filter so as not to disturb the turtles) we found a few solitary creatures coming ashore and dragging their bodies to the upper reaches of the sand. After observing one of the animals preparing her nest and dropping many eggs, we walked further up the beach to see dozens coming ashore and scores more that were already working on their nests or beginning the long path back to the shoreline. As the sky began to lighten, it became evident that the beach was dotted with turtles about five to eight feet apart in most cases, with vultures and townspeople ready to remove the eggs.

The Lodge features a common area of wooden construction, with comfortable chairs and couches, from which guests can view area birds and the interesting crabs that inhabit the grounds surrounding the structure. We found it a nice place for a beer at sunset or a morning cup of coffee.

Luis, the owner, was a helpful and caring host. He communicated promptly as we emailed to set up our stay in the days before our arrival, and provided great advice regarding the turtles and road conditions in the area.

Overall, a great value and ideal location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RedDougH

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our family stayed here when we went to see the turtles. We had a great time and part of this was due to the good folk at Ostional Turtle Lodge. The location (just down the road) is good (very quiet for post turtle viewing naps.) The rooms are pretty basic but they are clean and the owner is supper nice and supportive. I would recommend this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to spend time in the common / open area. Fabulous place to sip coffee and nap after a long...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kris J
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here late Sept/ Early Oct 2013, and it was a great choice. Luis (the owner) is an awesome source of information. We traveled here without a car and had no problems. Luis helped us find an affordable taxi from Nosara, then we took the 7am bus leaving Ostional to Santa Cruz with no problems. Seeing the arribada was 100% worth the effort traveling here, and this place is the nicest/ best value for the money in town. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2013

luis and his wife are simply wonderful. they are kind, warm-hearted and sincere people. from the moment i wrote them about a reservation, they have been nothiitng but helpful. taking the time to reply quickly and in depth to all my questions and concerns (such as buses, getting there and back, etc.). and this was before we even got there and met them.

the lodge is centrally located by the beach and within a couple minutes walk to everything... it is small and charming. with 4 rooms on the grounds, a common area that stretches out onto the mangroves, and a private room with a kitchenette on top of the common area. we are surrounded by wildlife, and the frogs rocked us to sleep every night.

we stayed 2 nights. first night downstairs. great private room with single and double beds. private washroom with plenty of room. clean and comfortable. private entrance. the 2nd night, we took the room on top of the common area and it was quite a romantic little place. we felt like we were in a tree house. all rooms have a safe. and a key for the main entrance. we also spend a lot of time in the common area, resting on the comfy couches and checking out the colourful crabs creep in and out of their holes.

we loved it there and were sad to leave. we HIGHLY recommend you come relax here and meet luis and his wife.

thanks again, luis!

Room Tip: all rooms seem to be equipped with fans and A/Cs. the fan was enough for us during the low season.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2013

After braving the journey on the rough road to Ostional we arrived at night to see the nesting turtles without having booked lodging anywhere in this very tiny town. We saw the name of the lodge and decided to give it a try, and what a lucky find it was. This is a small family run lodge with I believe only 5 rooms. They are very well planned out, clean, comfortable and a lot for the price. Our room had a twin, double and a set of bunks, plus a fridge, coffee service, a/c, safe and a large bathroom with a walk in shower. While the room was basic, they had nice details, like the carved wood door, quality tile and fixtures in the bathroom, beautifully white and crisp linens, "real" coffee (not the some crummy drop in pouch of stale grounds) and so on. There is also a wonderful outdoor communal lounge with a swing chair, sofa, books, a place to play cards,listen to the birds and enjoy the sunset. The location is perfect- just a short walk to the beach, mercado, bar, restaurant and turtle tour kiosk. This was perfect for our quick trip, but would also be a great place if traveling with family. The beach was stunning, and is a major nesting ground for endangered turtles. The proprietor was very helpful with directions, suggesting other great beaches near by, and making us feel welcome.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room here, but I would love to see what the room above the loung...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Ostional was my final destination during my week long trip to Costa Rica. I was in Ostional for 2 reasons - the turtles and some R&R after an activity filled trip. The Lodge was the perfect place to unwind. The Lodge is located 10 minutes by walk from the beach where the turtles come for nesting.

I called Luis well before I made the reservation to find out about the arribada and he answered all my questions patiently. Luis and Vero were very prompt in responding to my emails. The Lodge is surrounded by huge trees and other plants providing refuge to a variety of different creatures. I choose to stay in the single room with a fan. The room was big, spacious and comfortable. I loved the common area which was beautifully constructed of wood with an open layout. I made it a point to have my coffee every morning in the common area whilst listening to the sounds of nature and enjoying the lovely morning breeze.

I did the turtle tour one night and enjoyed the rest of my time at the beach. This beach was the most secluded beach I have ever been to so far. It was the perfect way to end my vacation.

I will definitely recommend the lodge for the location and above all the hospitality of Luis and Vero.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PJ_Globetrotter
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Firstly, in CR it seems service always goes above and beyond but Luis and Veronica are in an absolute league of their own. Kind, chill and full of all the necessary information. They were worth the road alone.

The lodge is perfect, spotless with a great common area. The price is excellent in a region of inflated rates and the 3 minute walk to nesting sea turtles- I still can't wrap my head around the one poor review.

We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ostional
Boutique Hotel Lagarta Lodge
#6 of 22 in Nosara
Albergue Arribadas
Albergue Arribadas
#2 of 2 in Ostional

Been to Ostional Turtle Lodge? Share your experiences!