“You've been Warned”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gold Canyon
Phoenix, AZ
“You've been Warned”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Let me preface the review with some back info. My friend works for a party that deals with this hotel on a regular basis. This was acknowledged from the onset at the CS desk. Even so, one of the ladies at the front desk (assume it was the owner) would not accept my friends valid discount (he was told upon booking there would be no issue.) Being a few hours from home, we decided to eat the difference and stay. Since we arrived before the 3 pm check- in .. were told to come back and that a room was already being held for us. Keep in mind, we inquired twice on this matter.

We returned after our engagement around 8 pm to find out we had the last room in the hotel facing the highway. Our reservation requested a quiet area. Upon inquiring on the promised room from earlier, the cs woman, Pinky, stated there was no such request. To make matters worse, the rate was twice the amount quoted from earlier in the day and nothing could be done without manager approval. At this point we decided to just go home. Being our cancellation was not within 24 hours, we paid for the night. The next morning, our bank balance reflected an amount TRIPLE the rate. I immediately called the hotel and was told Pat (the manager) would deal with our issue. Pat called back and reversed the charge on our debit card to the agreed amount. The following day, there was ANOTHER charge to our card reflecting the triple amount as before. When I called to speak to Pat, she was never around (conveniently) and avoided my calls. I spoke briefly to the owner, who upon hearing my complaint stated the inflated charge was to cover any incidentals. Incidentals?? We never stepped into the room! Even so, the hotel is mediocre at best with no real incidentals to speak .. unless you count the pay per view movies (which I'm not sure they offer) and long distance calls. For the amount they charged, I'd have to watch every pay per view movie three times over and call Europe. After speaking with the owner for about 3 minutes, she HUNG UP on me. Granted I was irritated whilst speaking with her but not at all rude or condescending.

It took repeated calls to the hotel and a call to my bank to have this settled. In using my debit instead of our credit card, we had to wait for the charge to post before the bank could reverse the charge. After 3 days it posted, with another couple days for the hotel to credit the amount owed. Can only imagine how this scenario would impact one with limited funds in their account. Not only that, but this is how they treat people who do business with their hotel on a regular basis. Cringe to think how others are treated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Michelle A
GoldCanyonINN, Manager at Best Western Gold Canyon Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. We apologize for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay with us. There were unfortunate circumstances involved here. We never take a decsion lightly to ask someone to leave the hotel as in your case. We will leave the comments on this case as they are since as everyone knows one just cannot please everyone all of the time.
Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Dear Reader, think of this review as a Public Service Announcement. Run, don't walk from this hotel and its owner. I was so disgusted that I just asked my stock broker to pull any investments that were tied to this chain. That is when I found out that Best Western is not publically owned. It is a loosely defined "franchise" and the sweet Customer Service employees in Phoenix have zero power to enforce even the minimum standards of practice. Do your own research, and then look at my other reviews on TA and you can decide for yourself whether it is worth the risk of staying here.

I wanted to treat my husband to a full weekend at the Renaissance Festival in Apache Junction. This is an out-of-the-way location and the few available rooms fill up fast. It was in mid-January that I chose the weekend of March 2 - 5, based on the reservation I booked through the Best Western website. I secured the appropriate rate-type for the room, booked it with my credit card and printed out my reservation. In the days that followed, I bought Pleasure Feast tickets, and hubby and I were approved for the time off from our busy jobs.

Trouble began a month later, when I received a late-evening call from someone named Pat. In a thick accent, she rudely announced that there was a "computer glitch" and she was not going to honor my reservation! I protested that I had planned this trip around the room availability, so she relents and says she will put us in a smaller room. I didn't have my printout to refer to, so I sleepily agreed out of panic that if I said no, we would be shut out of a room altogether.

Just before we left on the 3 hour drive to this hotel, I called BW Customer Care and told them about the strange phone call from Pat, and how she had refused to honor my reservation. I had realized she had put us in a smaller room and also raised the rate! I was only inquiring and I did not file a complaint. They assured me that the original reservation should have been honored, and offered to call Pat on my behalf. I declined, and said I would discuss it with Pat when I arrived.

Pat was not available, so we checked in to our smaller room at the raised rate. When we were settled in our room and ready for sleep, the phone rang. It was Pat and I had to report to the front desk immediately! I got downstairs and she started YELLING AT ME that I had "broken the trust!!!" and "I've seen people like you before" and "I don't want any complaints!" and YOU HAVE TO VACATE THE PREMISES NOW. I explained that I had not filed a complaint, that I had a legitimate reservation and I just wanted to go to sleep. She finally calmed down and said we could stay the three nights as long as I didn't file a complaint. Well, she had me there. No other rooms were available so I agreed. Wow, I felt violated and it was hard to sleep that night.

The next morning, as we were ready to leave for the festival, an envelope was pushed under our door. We opened it and it said we were to leave immediately and the rest of our stay was cancelled. I called BW Customer Care and that's when they tell me that they CANNOT ENFORCE, ONLY RECOMMEND!!! We rushed to pack up the room, and I called my credit card company to tell them any amount over the one-night charge would be fraud. Pat smugly said she was sorry for the inconvenience when I checked out. I told her she was anything but.

Happy ending was when we got the last room at Gold Canyon Golf Resort. What a difference!

So, forewarned is forearmed. I'll finish with a report of the room at the Best Western: Hard bed, skimpy ammenities (one-half teaspoon of shampoo, and not even a box of tissue). The GFI circuit for the coffee maker kept tripping so had to move it to the microwave outlet. Hairdryer would not work, either. Old TV. Overall this property is mutton passed off as lamb. Pat was just a bonus, I guess.

I have never been treated so unethically. If you must stay here, avoid the petty rogue tyrant at all cost.

Room Tip: Your best bet is to choose a completely different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank GoldilocksArizona
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We stayed here based on location. It is ok:

-Service: Reasonably friendly staff
-Breakfast: Edible but nothing special. However, it was free so can't complain too much?
-Location: Great for us. Not a lot of selection near here.
-Pool: Looked nice but we didn't use it.
-Value: High price for what you get - but as I said, not a lot of competition near here.
-Beds: Not terribly comfortable - quite hard. The cot (which was extra) was pretty lumpy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Darryl K
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The people who run and own this hotel are so rude, disrespectful and really mean that it totally ruins anyone's vacation. We had been guaranteed a walkout to the pool room. When we checked in they told us that the people that were in the walkout first floor rooms decided to extend their stay. We said well, ok but you guaranteed us a walkout to the pool. They Inturrupted and said that they never do guarantees only requests. We also said that if those people wanted to extend their satay they should have had to move to a different room. The one lady we talked to did gree with that. So we tried to relay to the manager or maybe even owner,Pat that we would take the room on the 2nd floor but we shouldn't have to pay the higher rate that was for the 1st floor walkout to the pool room. She Inturrupted many times and was so mean and rude I just started crying and she would not give any discount. Basically they DO NOT care about their customers or customers service or making anyone happy. We asked to check out and they said that they have a 3 night minimum policy. We were NEVER told about this policy. I think they make this up to trap people. We checked into another hotel in gold canyon and that hotel told us that we were the third people to switch from the best western. Do not give this place your business. It's terrible.

• Stayed February 2012
9 Thank eehr
Thank you for your response. We are sorry that we were unable to meet or exceed your expectations during your recnt stay with us. We are sorry that we were unable to provide you with a room on the first floor as requested. We always try to allocate rooms per the customers requests but there are occassions when it is impossible to do so.The hotel was fully booked at the time and there were no similar rooms for us to be able to move you. However, for your convinience we do have an elevator and just to reiterate there is no additional fee charged for the ground floor rooms. We hope that you will be able to stay with us again in the future.
Sierra Vista
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I am so disappointed to have to post this, as we used to stay at the Best Western Golden Canyon location every year and loved it. Unfortunately, potential customers should be warned that PAT is the most HORRIBLY RUDE manager I have ever encountered, and Best Western does not care how you are treated. They will, however, note your mistreatment in their files, in case they decide to care in the future.

This past March my children and I were preparing to make our yearly trip to the Renaissance Festival. I knew the hotel would be pretty full with reservations so I called on that Monday prior to make sure there was a room for us and to book it for Saturday 26 March. I spoke to an older lady who booked our room and sent me my confirmation notice via email. When we arrived at the hotel on that Saturday we were informed by the same older lady at the front desk that they had no reservation under my name. I pulled up my confirmation notice and discovered that she had not booked me for 26/27 March, but rather for 30 March. There were no rooms available there or at any of the locations close by. I was not very happy, but we problem-solved and ended up staying all the way out at the Holiday Inn in Fountain Hills (and had a great time--very friendly staff, by the way, but that’s another post!). The staff at Best Western Inn Golden Canyon did not apologize and did not offer to assist or compensate us in any way for the trouble THEIR mistake caused, so I sent a complaint in to Best Western’s Customer Care department when we got back to town.

I received a response back from Gail, who indicated that the Golden Canyon location would be contacting me soon to respond to and address the matter. Oh, I was contacted, alright…

I received a call from Pat at Best Western Inn Gold Canyon and she came out of the corner like Godzilla as soon as I answered the phone. She refused to let me speak and was clearly not interested in my issue; she started raising her voice at me and implied that I was going after her employee. She began to tell me that the employee who took my reservation was the nicest person she knows (don’t know her; not disputing that claim) and that she would NEVER make a mistake. (Maybe I should recommend that people stay there after all—apparently Best Western has employed a female version of Jesus.) The conversation went from bad to worse when Pat said she did not think there was enough ‘evidence’ to back up my claim (and she blamed me for not reading over the confirmation). This is what really got me--when she went so far as to infer that I was somehow being dishonest. She refused to back down and listen to me, and I was not going to continue being insulted, so I hung up on her and contacted Customer Care again.

(Let me say that it was never my intent to get the employee in trouble. Somehow, a mistake happened, and yes I should have looked more closely at the dates on the confirmation, but because we had just spoken by phone I trusted that everything was okay. I just wanted them to make it right, at least with an apology, but the whole thing suddenly became this ridiculous Jerry Springer episode).

I notified Gail at Customer Care of Pat’s behavior and she defended her, saying that the hotel responded to and addressed my concerns, as promised. She said that she was ‘very sorry for the confusion and inconvenience’ this had caused me. Oh, I get it—I was ‘confused.’ You see, I did not realize that responding to and addressing a problem involved being yelled at and called a con-artist by a hot-headed woman with an accent. Because I was so ‘confused’ Gail let me know she was sending me a $30.00 Best Western Travel Card because ‘Best Western values’ my business (and using me for a Festivus pole). I promptly let Gail know that I was NOT prepared to accept a $30.00 Travel Card in exchange for them messing up my reservation and then attacking my character when I asked for compensation. I felt at this point that being comp’d a room in exchange for what I had put up with was not only appropriate but customary. She did not agree, but countered by offering 8,000 points on my rewards account (Which means I could reserve maybe ¼ of a room, if that?).

Needless to say, I got nowhere with her or anyone else in that office and declined both the card and the points. I let Customer Care know that this issue was apparently symptomatic of a problem with the company as a whole, rather than the one location, and that I would no longer be staying at any Best Westerns. I even went so far as to send an email to the President and CEO of Best Western, Mr. David Kong, in hopes that they would look into this problem and prevent other customers from being ‘confused’ in the same way as yours truly. His office responded with the same uncaring attitude as the rest of the company. They continued to call the situation just a ‘misunderstanding’ that would be kept on file, and they hoped I would use the Travel Card/points and keep giving them money in exchange for being treated like a deposit from the north end of a south-bound pachyderm.

I have to say I am truly amazed that this even happened, but I can only control my actions, so… Never again. There are too many other places who know how to treat people right. I would rather give them my money in exchange for accommodations and no ‘confusion.’ :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank Whitney G
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This place is clean and the employees are friendly. However, it is way overpriced for the facility. Stayed a week due to it's location but would look for something better priced for the value next time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bdwellnia
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I really do loving coming here. The room is a great size, the staff has always been so inviting. (Have stayed 3 or more times). I am from Apache Junction though when I have family come down from back east, they stay in GC for the beautiful scenery, and then we travel around AZ. The pool is beautiful and so is the view. I believe there was even a game room of some type. We've never had any issues.

I would definitely stay here again. Very charming, warm and inviting! Also, the location is super great because it is right off the main road! It also has restaurants and stores close by!

Room Tip: Always ask about memership discounts (ex. AAA) and look online because at least with other places, t...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gold Canyon
Best Western Superstition Springs Inn
Best Western Legacy Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Mesa
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mesa
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mesa Superstition Springs
Four Points by Sheraton at Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport

Been to Best Western Gold Canyon Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!