“It's a joke.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gold Canyon
Phoenix, Arizona
“It's a joke.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I would like to start off by saying you pay for way more than what it's worth. The decor and layout is very outdated. When you use the restroom your knees touch the opposite wall! I will never stay here again if you want beautiful views and amazing casitas stay at the Boulders in North Phoenix. Almost forget about how rude and unaccomidating the staff was. They're a joke! If I am ever in Gold Canyon I'll stay at the Best Western, which is probably equivalent if not better!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank nyaz86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Dewey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

The casitas have outside fireplaces with views of the desert, golf course, and the city lights below. The food was great with outside dining capturing the views. This is the place to be in the spring in the desert.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank KarinW14
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

We got married 2/22/14 at Gold Canyon Golf Resort . We stayed the weekend as well as many of our guests, and it was quite an experience. The rooms are very nice and clean. The restaurants have great food, and the patio was great to just hang out, with heaters and gas fire pits when the nights were cool. Everyone had a great time. Some of our guests got their hair done in the Spa. Great jobThe staff was incredibly nice and helpful from the bartenders to the guys driving us around on the golf carts. Even at 1am when one of us was locked out of our room they were extremely nice. The ceremony was held at the Town Hall site. Such a beautiful place, the views are incredible. Nicole Walker was beyond nice and so helpful getting all the rooms booked, some on short notice. Robert in charge of rehearsal dinner and the ceremony did an outstanding job making sure everything went smooth. We can't thank you enough for making it a fabulous weekend!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lisa M
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have been staying at the Gold Canyon Golf Resort in Gold Canyon, AZ for the last 6 weeks while working on a consulting project and have come to experience a resort that is nothing less than top shelf. This resort has the look and feel of a 5 star resort. The property is well kept, clean and very appealing to the eye. The front desk staff is friendly and are very quick to check you in. The restaurant experience was the same and the food quality is the best that I have experienced. The prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly and very professional. I travel over 300 nights a year so I know a quality hotel/resort when I see one.

I wanted to share an experience where the reservations supervisor acted on a comment that I had made about liking a soft or downed pillow at my other hotel stays. The very next week during my check-in I was given a nice note card telling me that they appreciated my comments and that they purchased me a set of downed pillows for my future stays at the resort. I will be staying at this resort for the next 16 weeks. Thank you Dianna! You are the best and I hope your boss reads this and realizes what a great staff they have at Gold Canyon Golf Resort.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who appreciates high quality at an affordable price and who appreciates a staff that cares about the customer. On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate this resort a 15.

Tim

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank TimMartin516
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This hotel will allow you to dodge a lot of tailback traffic on busy festival days by staying here the night before.
Best Western (the only other inn near-as-close to the festival) inflate their prices in festival season, so for ten bucks more you might as well have a jacuzzi and a private patio.

On weekends there are invariably weddings here, so be prepared for drunks. On the patio right next to yours. And they can smoke. This is by far the worst thing about this place for families.

Parking is also a big problem here. The layout is confusing. You may have to park a significantly far from your room. Arrive early unless you are confident parallel parking in the dark on dirt that is labelled "tow-away zone". Another big negative for me. And they dont tow, as you'll discover the next morning when tons of regulars are parked there.

Room service is average. Twenty minutes for extra towel delivery last night.

Rooms were clean. Beds are okay. I did not see any security at all, be aware.

I wouldnt bring my children here again

Stayed February 2014
wichita
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have been going to Gold Canyon resort for a number of years. Mainly for Golf. Many of the rooms are in need of updating as they show age and usage. Breakfast was excellent and the golf courses were perfect. I will be returning.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank zamiWichita
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Disclaimer: I am NOT a golfer. I booked a room at this resort because of its proximity to the Superstition mountains for hiking. Now for the review:

Location: Great if you want to be close to the Superstitions and away from the busy city. Dramatic views of the mountains. It takes about 35 minutes to get here from the airport. Not many dining choices in the local area, so be prepared to drive to go to dinner, unless you eat at the resort. Easy access to the highway.

Staff: Very friendly, helpful and polite.

Room and Grounds:
The good: Clean, soft sheets and towels,strong wifi signal, easy parking, nice landscaping

The not so good: Dated room with a clash of styles (western frontier, Spanish hacienda and
adobe all colliding into some sort of architectural design accident), few outlets, weird
hexagonal sinks in a poorly designed bathroom, dimly lit toilet and shower area, old style
television, shaky narrow desk with a lamp that kept falling off. The shape of the room was
odd, suffering from lots of acute angled corners in the worst possible places for no apparent
reason, and useless alcoves that made absolutely no sense. The hot tub outside looked
appealing, but the tub was boiling hot and the temp could not be controlled. The gunnite
lining was so rough I had to put a towel down to keep myself from scraping my skin when
I finally managed to work my way into the cauldron.

Overall: Not a horrible stay, but definitely not worth the price. If you go, just be realistic about what you will be getting. I scouted out some other places nearby that give more value for the money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Dazek
relaxatgcgr, Front Office Manager at Gold Canyon Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
We were built in 1981 and first opened as 16 independently owned casitas. In 1985 we added 41 more casitas. The design element at the time allowed for box TV's. The rooms we have that span our First hole of the Dinosaur Mountain were completed in 1998 and were more square in style, with less angles. Our style has been eclectic along the way and allows for a more relaxed environment. Each room is different, No two rooms are the same. Thank you for bringing the lighting issue to our attention, I will certainly address this. We do currently use the energy saving bulbs, trying to do our part for the environment.
Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback on our property. I hope when you are back this way you will check out one of our other rooms, to see if it is more to your liking.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gold Canyon
BEST WESTERN Gold Canyon Inn & Suites
We-Ko-Pa Resort & Conference Center
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mesa
BEST WESTERN Superstition Springs Inn
Saguaro Lake Guest Ranch
Best Western Legacy Inn & Suites

Been to Gold Canyon Golf Resort? Share your experiences!