“Lovely, Convenient, Good All Round”
Review of The Eltisley

The Eltisley
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Eltisley
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Lovely, Convenient, Good All Round”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Went to this seemingly quaint place just outside Cambridge this weekend. Seemingly as once you walk in, the place is like the Tardis!

They managed to take a last minute booking for 15 people which was very lucky as when our main meals arrived the place was packed.

They seated us in our own private area which was fantastic as we had a few children in our party.

Food varied from good to great.

Service was excellent from the team of waiters and the very pretty waitress. I'd return here to see her alone :)

Everyone in our group enjoyed their meal, and the last minute gathering was an overall success.

eltisley, Front Office Manager at The Eltisley, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to give us feedback.

We are delighted that we were able to accommodate you and that you enjoyed our food and service and hope to welcome you back to The Eltisley in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
“Ordinary”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Sunday lunch with partner and 2 friends. We were very early, but the table was available and they had no problem with this. The young staff were extremely polite and obliging, though it was busy and the long wait between starter and mains suggested a kitchen floundering, as is so often the case.

The starter of kedgeree looked pretty enough, but tasted of precisely nothing - completely under seasoned, and whilst it was the right colour, I couldn't detect even a mild curry flavour. Roast pork was decent, buried as it was under fried parsnip (or was it onion?) shavings, a modest and moist portion. It said crackling on the menu, but I had none (I noticed friend had a small piece with his). If the roast potatoes weren't out of a packet, they might as well have been. A better than average Yorkshire (but still an imitation of what a proper pud should be - never to be found these days). Few sliced leeks, spoonful of roasted veggies and gravy already dispensed (not enough for me). The other half had fish and chips, which looked rank and which he mostly left. Batter was near to burned, and a lot of skin.

The place itself is cosy and pleasant, and things weren't so poor that I wouldn't return - just way short of it's promise.

• Visited November 2013
Bedford, Pennsylvania
“Fantasic a must if you appreciate good food and wine”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Oh my goodness after reading some of the reviews really felt I must add my review. Having just eaten an amazing Sirloin steak and full bodied melbec which the lovely and attentive waitress had actually had tried and could advise me on which is very rare! £22 for steak £18 bottle seriously would be hard to beat in top London restaurants. I would highly recommend beautiful setting and wonderful service and hosting this place is hard to beat. Major plus the atmosphere and children friendly what more can you ask for 11 out if 10 don't be put off by the other reviews

• Visited November 2013
Bedfordshire
“Nice but not worth the money”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is a lovely village pub with a lovely atmosphere and a lovely outdoor eating area. The food is good but is very expensive. Not worth the price when there are other good eateries within striking distance.

Visited September 2013
“A shocker!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

There was so much that was wrong with the whole experience!
We were left to wait an unacceptable amount of time, before being acknowledged by the foh staff, and shown to our table. The menu was, quite frankly, boring!
The only thing of interest as a starter was the Haslet, which came with a few undressed salad leaves, and was bland. My partner had a prawn cocktail which consisted of small and tasteless sandwich variety prawns. I went for fish and chips for my main as the only other dish of interest was duck which I didn't fancy. It was, and I use this word in the correct context, disgusting! My first mouthful stayed with me the rest of the night and into the following day. No one had bothered to remove the scales from the fish. I still have the sensation of scales at the back of my throat! The pea purée that came with the fish was tasteless, and my partners chicken was burnt. Half of my meal was left on the plate and cleared.
At no point during or after the meal, did anyone ask for feed back! And when asked whether we would like to see the pudding menu, I replied that I didn't think that I was going to chance it. This once again, was a perfect opportunity for the manager to get our feedback!
I have been aware of this place for quite some time, but it was my first visit. It was supposed to be a treat, but ended up as a complete waste of time and money. It goes without saying, we will not be going back!

Visited October 2013