“A challenge, but we did it!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hagley
Cradle Mountain Huts
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Get as fit as you can before you go. Can you walk 7.5 hours a day over rough terrain? If not, you will find it hard going! The great camaraderie of the group and the encouragement of the guides will get you through in the end, though. When it rains in Tasmania, it really rains! Just makes the Overland Track more of a challenge (not to mention the leeches!). But the lovely hot showers and the drying room in the huts mean a comfortable end to each day. The lovely meals created by our guides, Emma and Chris, were delicious even by "gourmet traveller" standards, and the free flowing local wines much appreciated. Thanks, Cradle Mtn Huts for a memorable experience!

Room Tip: Avoid the room at the bottom of the stairs, as people inadvertently barge in in the middle of the ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FamilyWolf
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Hi FamilyWolf

Thanks for reviewing Cradle Mountain Huts on TripAdvisor – we really appreciate it.

You are right in saying the fitter you are prior to your walk the more enjoyable you will find it. The weather is something I love up in the mountains it can change so quickly - one moment you are in sunshine and the next it is pouring down. At the end of each day it makes a difference to know that you can dry out, have a hot shower and enjoy some amazing meals and Tassie wine. I am really glad your trip was so memorable.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

You will laugh and you will cry. You will be somewhere between heaven and hell at the end of the day. But your guides will be there and your fellow walkers will support you and the feeling of achievement as you reach those lovely huts every night and remember the views on the way makes it all worth it. I loved it all.
Viv

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vivienh620
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hi Viv,

Thanks for your review – sometimes the biggest challenges can also give the biggest rewards! It is amazing to reach the huts in the evening and reflect on the day and recall all the things you have seen and felt. I am glad you loved it all – the Overland Track is just such a special walk.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

After waiting several years to undertake this trip it was everything I could have wished for. A great walk, excellent views and great walking conditions. Terrific climbs up Mt Oakleigh and Mt Ossa. The leaders were great, thanks Joel, Bonnie and Kate, huts excellent and food and wine outstanding. All walkers had a great time and got on really well together. Just the right touch of leadership and encouragement. Thanks to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank HR53

Hi HR53,

Thanks for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor – I am really pleased the walk was everything you had hoped for. Joel, Bonnie & Kate are all fantastic to work with and we are very lucky to have them as part of our team. I will most certainly pass your feedback along.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I am 58 and was not really fit enough for the walk due to lack of bushwalking experience. The first 2 days were tough going, but with the help and great support of the group, I hit my stride and pushed on. Each day brought new beauty and new challenges which I would not have missed for for the world.
The food was incredible, beds comfy and our guides Joe and Rob we're tireless in looking after us.
Thank you for a wonderful experience. I miss it already.

Room Tip: Get some bush walking practice in if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen E
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hi Helen,
Thanks so much for taking the time to review your Cradle Mountain Huts Walk on TripAdvisor – we really appreciate it.
The walk can be challenging at times particularly the first couple of days when you are getting into the rhythm walking and carrying a pack. I am glad you hit your stride and could appreciate the beauty of the Cradle Mountain – Lake St Clair National Park.
Both Joe & Rob are fabulous guides and we are lucky to have them working with us with such passion and enthusiasm.
Hope to see you back down in Tassie at some point.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

WOW!  I have just walked the Overland Track with Cradle Huts and have spent 6 days in heaven. The World Heritage Area is beautiful, picturesque and easily my favourite place on earth. My walk buddies were 7 girlfriends, another wonderful lady and guides Ben and Bonnie. Our guides educated us about the flora, fauna and geology of the area, entertained us, produced gourmet meals and motivated us to heights we never imagined. As 8 working mums who have hectic lives just being out in the wilderness would have been enough, but the little things like a library repeated in each hut, hot showers, clean cabins and a glass of fine wine each evening topped it all off.  Cradle huts you have thought of everything.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Emma H
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Hi Emma,
Thanks so much for your review. It sounds like you had a great trip and what a fabulous way to catch up with your friends. Ben & Bonnie are both fantastic guides and their depth of knowledge is outstanding.
The hot shower, comfy bed and nice meal each night do just finish the day nicely!
I hope you and your friends can join us again perhaps for a Bay of Fires Lodge Walk.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was one experience we will not forget. We were truly blessed with the best weather ever and the views were out of this world. This organisation is one of the best, everyone was amazing. The guides were so very very good and contributed so very much to making this one fantastic experience. The food, showers, beds, cabins, wines all great. The walking was not easy but rewarding. Some of the most magnificent forests in the world. We can not praise our experience enough. Well done everyone.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanne W
cradlemountainhuts, Director of Sales at Cradle Mountain Huts, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hi Joketravel,

What a wonderful review – thanks. It sounds like from start to finish you had an amazing walk which is just great. The guides are amazing and as I have said in other responses we are just so lucky to have such a fabulous bunch of passionate people to work with.

We hope to see you back down in Tassie at some stage.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Excellent guides, small group of ten people, beautiful scenery. Accommodations: compared to being in a tent -- excellent. Compared to the Milford Track in NZ, not as nice. But very good. They should say: For a 30 year old, you need to be fit to do this trek. For a 60 year old, you need to be VERY fit. Only negative was incessant flies. I would recommend this hike to the adventurous.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GlennDetrick

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor – we really appreciate it. I am pleased you found our guides to be excellent, they do make the walk so special. I would love to hear more about the accommodation on the Milford Track to see if there is anything imporvements we can implement. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss further that would be great. As for the flies….I am pleased I have not had this experience up in the mountains but can understand it would not be pleasant.

Cheers, Ros

Been to Cradle Mountain Huts? Share your experiences!