Quamby Estate
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf coursebeautiful venueheated bathroom floorscooked breakfastbridal partycradle mountainsuperior roomoverland trackperiod furnitureplay golfany requestsfamily weddingold world charmguest housetwo nightsbreakfast and dinnermuesli
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Not impressed with this hotel and not impressed with the response to my complaint email to them either. They prioritised a wedding that they were holding the same day as our stay. There was only one member of staff left to look after all other guests. Poor girl was running around like a headless chicken. Our bath had someone else's hair in it on check in. Dust on the shelf above the shower and a cobweb.
My partner's salmon at dinner was raw in the middle and stone cold. $55 each for 2 courses or $70 for 3 courses. Dining room has no atmosphere and everyone sits whispering so as to not to bother other guests, really uncomfortable. The morning member of staff (only one again) was surly. She only told us the price for a cooked breakfast and not the continental, so we assumed wrongly the continental was complimentary. Not impressed with the charge at check out $15 each for a sub standard continental with no fresh fruit at all (cooked is $20 and you also get the continental). The reply from the manager was that I should have checked on expedia for the prices. I actually can't believe that a hotel is trying to say that it is my fault for not reading expedia's website for THEIR breakfast prices. Seriously? They are your prices, you should display them in your dining room or train your staff correctly.

Also be aware some rooms are just behind the dining room, so to get to your room you have to walk through other people's dinner or breakfast!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Firefly51
quamby, Manager at Quamby Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Clare,

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your stay. Shortly after your visit, our owner tried to contact you via email, offering a complimentary return stay or to show our genuineness on this issue, a refund, if you were not satisfied with our answers. To date unfortunately, we have not received a response from you. During your stay we let you down and for that we are both sorry and accepting of responsibility. Our objective and our history has been to offer wonderful service and I have been proud of the team, their service ethic and the feedback we have received so we do find your review to be disappointing.

I would like to address the key points raised.

“My husband ordered the salmon main course....”
We have 2 chefs headed by Michael our executive chef and I struggle to understand what happened here. They are all very good and have been ‘pinched’ from other quality restaurants in town. I assure you the chef working that night is genuinely disappointed that he has had negative feedback and that you were not satisfied. Michael was asked as a result of your note to monitor the chef on his next two shifts, reviewing with him in particular the salmon dish made for your husband.

“On entering the room I found that the bath…”
Following your stay we have reviewed processes regarding room turns and cleaning checklists to prevent any issue with our normally impeccable standards. We have implemented changes to our processes to avert any such issues in future should new staff join our team. I totally accept your comments as very valid.

“…do you just prioritise weddings...”
We are a very small hotel with just 10 rooms and our experience suggests that 1 serving staff for up to 10 guests for meals is of sufficient coverage. Of course if we are aware that the bookings will concurrently overlap we will roster additional help. Insofar as the weddings are concerned we have a totally separate and outsourced team looking after functions, so it is never a case that we leave staff from the homestead short-handed.

“You really should inform guests by email that there will be a wedding during their stay...”
As part of the wedding planning process, we offer an incentive for the group to book the entire homestead and advise the party that there is an 11pm close-down of communal areas in the homestead. We have had weddings at the homestead for many years and they have co-existed, largely without issue. I have spoken to our manager on-duty that evening. She was up when the wedding party returned and saw them off to their rooms ‘around midnight’. She said she was up until a little before 1am and didn’t hear any activity but acknowledges she was in the kitchen area and would not necessarily heard people on the stairway.

“…at no point did she explain that there was a charge for the cold buffet, which I only found out at check out. We assumed the buffet was complimentary....”
On this we very much agree and thank you for bringing it to our attention. What I have asked for and now and is in place is the following:-
(a) We have re-written our ‘Welcome Letter’ in each room explaining the breakfast options and pricing and included a new menu on each table in the breakfast dining room.
(b) We have moved the fresh fruit bowls from the kitchen and hallway, which has always been available to guests, into the breakfast room.
(c) As part of the continental buffet inclusion, guests are able to select a freshly prepared seasonal fruit salad
(d) We have looked into offering an inclusive breakfast packages part of our overnight stays and agree this is a good idea. This has now been put in place and is offerable on-line allowing 2 people a full cooked breakfast for just $12.50 each.

“...a member of staff at check out...”
The staff member that day I assure you is very regularly praised for her service. I can’t explain this one, I’m sorry.

Claire we very much appreciate your feedback and have worked extremely hard over the past month to implement a number of changes including several of your ideas. Again, I am sorry that your experience fell short but I do believe that should you return for a visit you will enjoy the high level of service and standards that a seasoned and knowledgeable traveller would expect of a property such as Quamby.

Regards,
Quamby Estate - Guest Services

Reviewed November 23, 2012

On our last day we needed to stay the night near Launceston to catch the morning plane so searched on the net for somewhere historic or different.
We booked the middle range room with dinner and weren't sure what to expect as there aren't a lot of photos explaining the different rooms, when we got there the room had a slanting ceiling and felt closed in so I asked to see the top room. Although it was about $100 more we decided to stay in it as it had the 'wow' factor to go with the venue, modern, but still the old world feel. Large bathroom with spa bath in the middle enticed me to actually have a bath which doesn't happen often.
You can sit in either of the 2 lounges and they are absolutely wonderful - just like the pictures you see on the web page and the log fire was going just to add to the ambience.
Dinner was exceptionally nice and we enjoyed breakfast in the dinning room.
We did pay for the dinner, bed and golf package that was on the internet but when we got there they said the golf wasn't included and they over charged for the wine we had - but it didn't spoil the experience and not worth the argument as we didn't choose it for the golf and enjoyed a bath instead.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MandMWeekendsaway
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We found Qaumby Estate to be the highlight of our Tasmanian holiday. Fantastic heritage accommodation and great meals and lovely service from the girls. One suggestion is the need for better sign posting to find the place. It is out of the way a bit and we had to ring 3 times to keep getting directions to it as we were lost. Other than that it was magic and we will be definitely be going back and will ask for room 12 again!

Warren and Sandra
Gold Coast Qld.

Room Tip: Room 12 is the best one we think. Away from the main building and bigger than other rooms and beautifully fitted out with everything you need.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Warren T
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Quamby Estates is truly your home away from home
 It took us a leisurely 25 minute drive from Launceston CBD   We were driving through pasturing sheep with their lamb. We saw cows with their calves. Even snow capped mountains. As we entered the Estate we were greeted by a rows of old trees and sweeping meadows. The house in one word can be described as majestic. We were greeted by the lovely Lucy, gracioius Emily and Warm Karen on our first day. We walked through the house in awe. Each room was warn and cozy . It has 3 sitting rooms filled with antiques and  lit fireplaces throughout  I spent the afternoon reading by the fire and taking in the view. It was the first time I felt utterly relaxed. You can't not feel relaxed in this Home. All that was missing was my cat! We then ventured outside and walked for an hour down to the pond filled with geese and ducks. Then onto to the golf course. I made a mental note that I should learn this sport. The grounds are surrounded by old poplar, oak and elm trees planted 140 years ago. Now our room was amazing! We were in room 12. It has the romantic style four poster bed and a huge bath with views of the tennis court rimmed with daffodils and views of the pond and trees. Decorated beautifully. Dinner was such a surprise ! I felt like I was in a hatted restaurant ! Michael Macaway was our chef along with Patrick his new star of an apprentice. We loved all that was presented.  They only source local produce and grow many of their veges. On our last evening we enjoyed a glass of port in beautiful cognac glasses by the fire place. I have to say it was the best place to relax and feel at home. Please do experience it. 5 stars !!!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Fekixthwcat
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I booked into Quamby on our way to walk Cradle Mountain. We had heard this was a good place and common start point for walks in the region. And I'm glad we did. Two nights here, one at the beginning of our walk and another after a satifying challenge was the perfect way to sign off on our Tassie Adventure.
The property had under-gone a complete refurbishment and only re-opened in Feb of this year and it showed. Our room (a Deluxe standard room 10) was upstairs and contained lovely antiques, heated marble bathroom floors and a beautiful 4 poster bed and separate lounge. There were lots of little touches like MOR bathroom amenities, complimentary bottled water and after returning from dinner our bed turned down, bathroom re-tidied and little choclate hearts on the pillows.
On the topic of dinner, this was also an unexpected but pleasant surprise. The restaurant chef produced several lovely and high quality local options. We selected the local salt and peper squid as an entree which was truly fresh and as tender as butter, followed by a rack of Tamar Valley lamb encrusted in herbs and crushed pine nuts, both dishes complimented by quality local wines ( if not an extensive list to chose from) . The manger did say however they are upgrading their wine list for the coming summer season. Desert was quite litterally a treat. The chef makes all his pasteries and cakes daily (as well as all bread in the hotel) and his New York cheescake with double king island cream was to die for (or we probably will!). He came out on a couple of occassions to speak with the diners, which was also a nice touch. We took our coffee in one of the lovely sitting rooms that are set aside for hotel guests in front of a log fire.
The king sized beds we were told were also all replaced this year and I think that made sense as they were newly firm but still verycomfortable.
Breakfast was adequate and the expresso good. A buffet arrangement and plenty of everything on offer but dinner is the highlight.
Our second night on our return was just as impressive. The country style service may not be 4 Seasons like but that isnt the spirit of this place. It is a wonderful country manor run by locals who just try to make you feel welcome and confortable and in that they suceeded hands down. We'll be back again and after walking the course we'll bring our golf clubs.

Room Tip: We asked and were upgraded to a Deluxe room on our arrival. Worth a try!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple