“Outstanding Lunch!!”
Review of La Petanque - CLOSED

La Petanque
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant. Chef's Hat 2013.Panoramic views over near by olive grove and vineyards. Contemporary French Cuisine and extensive wine List. Gourmet Traveller Best Regional Wine list of the Year 2009.
Reviewed February 20, 2014

On our way back to Melbourne after staying two days down the Peninsula, we stopped in at La Petanque. What a gem !! it was a strange day weather wise hot, then cold, heavy rain, sun again..
We were seated on the deck by a warm and welcoming tall gent, who made us feel very welcome even with our wet jackets and feeling somewhat under-dressed for the restaurant.

We had three courses for 57 dollars. And the food . Outstanding well presented, delicious like art work on the plate.

We highly recommend a visit to La Petanque.

3  Thank suzan W
There are newer reviews for La Petanque

Reviewed February 19, 2014

done lunch and dinner - both with small number of guests and large group.
always breathtakingly perfect!!!
nice, easy and outstanding nevertheless - up to the last beer 'on the go' for an afterdinner nightly beach star glancing session ;-)
staff is here to help but is not seen if not wanted. menue is elegant, still easy to handle, portions almost too big for a set menue of 4-5, even 3.
wine list outstanding with loads of local treasures!!!
trés french - with an ozzie twist!

2  Thank bwoe
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I had high expectations of this restaurant. I wasn't disappointed. from the moment we walked in we felt welcome. The setting was beautiful, the biggest wine list i have seen at a restaurant. the food was incredible. all the staff were friendly and happy to help in any way. john and Kimberly stood out the most to us, thanks guys for the excellent service. I highly recommend this to couples wanting a romantic night out. 10/10

1  Thank BenM1991
Reviewed February 11, 2014

When we first visited La Petanque to decide upon a reception venue the first thing that we noticed were the exquisite smells that were coming from the kitchen which reached us all the way in the carpark. We were even greeted by one of the chefs who was picking herbs from the front garden! The mouth watering smells and the friendliness of the chef instantly made us feel at home. And from there it only got better.

The owner and manager, Philippe, and his team were patient and extremely helpful when it came to selecting a menu, organising staff such as photographers and florists, and ensuring that the reception ran without a hitch, glitch, or any problem whatsoever.

The food was perfection- you must try the seared Atlantic scallops and the Flinders Island lamb rump which were my favourite, although all the food was freshly sourced, beautifully presented, and expertly prepared and cooked. Our guests absolutely raved about the valrhona 'guanaja' chocolate fondant, and I was thrilled that Philippe allowed me to have French cheeses as a dessert given that I'm a bit of a savoury fiend.

The regular wine list at La Petanque is extensive, and it is worth a visit just to share in a cheese platter and try some of their wines. Philippe let us select the wines for our wedding which is an option that I hadn't come across before during my search of the Peninsula for the perfect reception venue. He even let us select the beers, and when my partner chose a craft beer that he doesn't usually stock he ordered it in just for our reception anyway!

The service at La Petanque was excellent. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. And when my mother in law dropped her cardigan in the carpark at the end of the night Philippe washed it and express posted it to her. If this isn't the epitome of class then I'm not sure what is.

In terms of the atmosphere at La Petanque, we hired a 4 piece band (the Baker Boys) and the acoustics within the restaurant due to the high ceilings was just incredible. The venue is also delightful at night because the moon shines in through the numerous windows and bounces off the wooden floors and ceiling. We had tealight candles on our tables and the glow from the candles in combination with the glow from the moon was simply magical.

So, in summary, La Petanque is a beautiful restaurant run by a lovely team who produce exquisite food, and I recommend a visit.

1  Thank 2bouchers
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

We were going to Flinders for lunch on Thursday. On the way we saw La Pétanque. We noticed few cars in the car park. Not good. French cuisine is my favourite. Flinders was cooler than expected so we went back to La Pétanque. The main course was entree size. And the cuisine was definitely not French. I had 2 tiny pieces of Bass Groper and my husband had 4 tiny slices of duck. The one small slice of bread was dry on the outside. The cuisine was ordinary. The prices extraordinary.